PDA

View Full Version : BRIS problems

andicap
07-24-2002, 08:27 AM
I can't get into the BRIS website this morning. Anyone else having this problem? And since BRIS is not allowing me to buy the single-file program, can someone please send it to me for Saratoga today?
I will gladly send BRIS my $1.

Lets see, first day of Saratoga and I cant log on. Way to go BRIS.

crackers@NOLA
07-24-2002, 09:16 AM
I can't get in either.

Zaf
07-24-2002, 09:29 AM
Same problem here. Can't access.

ZAFONIC

takeout
07-24-2002, 09:32 AM
The TSN site is also down.

ridersup
07-24-2002, 09:33 AM
Both bris and tsn are apparently down. Luckily I bought a DRF yesterday.

Should I put it on E-bay?

rrbauer
07-24-2002, 10:58 AM
They had a problem over the weekend, too.

The "Super Stats" report for practically all of the tracks was not available off the web for Sunday's races. I called and the guy I spoke to logged on and said, "Damn! You're right! I'll have to call a programmer."

I called back 30-minutes later and was told that the programmer was "looking at it". Called an hour after that and was told that "the files are out there, but we don't know why they don't show on the index for the web page." I looked again that afternoon and they still weren't available.

I was able to download today's (Wed) SAR and DMR files last evening.

MikeH
07-24-2002, 11:36 AM
At 8:30 AM (PDT) I still can't get in. Let's see: Saratoga's first race is in 1 1/2 hours. I was told that BRIS was doing some "maintenance" last night. Now, I would expect a "normal" IT person to be clueless and non-careing about today being opening day at both Saratoga and Del Mar, but this seems out of character for BRIS. Why would you be doing "maintenance" the night before a major day like this??

Zaf
07-24-2002, 11:39 AM
Try ITS, they have DMR & SAR files for today.

ZAFONIC

anotherdave
07-24-2002, 12:20 PM
Both are back

AD

ranchwest
07-24-2002, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by MikeH
At 8:30 AM (PDT) I still can't get in. Let's see: Saratoga's first race is in 1 1/2 hours. I was told that BRIS was doing some "maintenance" last night. Now, I would expect a "normal" IT person to be clueless and non-careing about today being opening day at both Saratoga and Del Mar, but this seems out of character for BRIS. Why would you be doing "maintenance" the night before a major day like this??

I'm not trying to defend BRIS, but I work in IT and can tell you that stuff happens. Disk drives fail, routers fail, all sorts of things can happen. We recently had a problem on a server and it took nearly a day to restore all of the data to that one server.

rrbauer
07-24-2002, 12:40 PM
Mike H wrote:
Now, I would expect a "normal" IT person to be clueless and non-careing about today being opening day at both Saratoga and Del Mar,

"Normal" IT person? Is that one of those oxymorons?

(Don't jump me folks....my roots are in IT, too!):)

takeout
07-24-2002, 12:40 PM
It seems that none of the services ever knows that anything is missing until someone calls and tells them. When dealing with a site that doesn't archive, like DRF or TSN, this can become a problem if they never get the stuff up in time before it disappears from the site. It can also be a problem for customers at sites that do archive. For instance, the results data files for 9-13,14,15 of 2001 are not in the BRIS archives. They aren't there because of September 11th and BRIS using the "DRF data". But, why weren't they put in there later? Why didn't DRF, after they got running again, go back to Equibase and get the data? Why didn't BRIS make sure that one way or another, it got the data in its archives?

What's wrong with this picture: You have BRIS archiving data that it gets from DRF, who doesn't archive. What a house of cards.

What did you guys that were getting the results data files from BRIS and saving them to a program or database do at that time? Did you get them elsewhere and write some program to make them compatible, or do you have a hole in your database as BRIS apparently does?

BillW
07-24-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by takeout

What did you guys that were getting the results data files from BRIS and saving them to a program or database do at that time? Did you get them elsewhere and write some program to make them compatible, or do you have a hole in your database as BRIS apparently does?

On the few tracks that I checked (PEN, LAD), I have the exotic results files from those dates. I didn't get them out of archive though.

BW

ranchwest
07-24-2002, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by takeout
It seems that none of the services ever knows that anything is missing until someone calls and tells them.

Where I work, if we don't get key files moved into place at the proper time, we get paged -- even if it is in the middle of the night.

andicap
07-24-2002, 01:09 PM
Whenever my IT people tell me they are taking a site down for maintainence or working on the server, or installing new software, I know for certain there will be problems the next day or next few days. Never, ever fails.

takeout
07-24-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by BillW

On the few tracks that I checked (PEN, LAD), I have the exotic results files from those dates. I didn't get them out of archive though.
BW
Not sure but I think the exotic results files may be a different breed of cat. As I recall, the last time that they had a problem with the data files, the exotic results files were already there. I'm going to look in the archives to get some feel of whether those results data files are missing from all the tracks but I assume they are. Can't understand why, once they know something is wrong, that they (DRF & BRIS) don't go back and fix it. TSN should be the one that's archived (because they don't screw up the perfectly good data that they get from Equibase) and ITS is looking better every day, even at a buck-fifty a slice.