PDA

View Full Version : cookie monitor (not cookie monster)

DJofSD
03-19-2006, 06:31 PM
How do you monitor cookies?

I'd like to know either when a new cookie from a specific site has been added or when an existing cookie has been updated/changed.

Other than pulling up the FF cookie viewing function, I don't know how to make a determination a cookie is new or has been modified.

Any ideas?

Tim
03-19-2006, 08:48 PM
If you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer, then from the menu bar

Click: Tools ... Internet Options ... Privacy ... Advanced
Click on "Override Automatic Cookie Handling" and then select "prompt for 1st and/or 3rd party cookies.

Responding to the allow/disallow cookie prompts will quickly aggravate you but it's a quick and dirty way to see whats happening to your system

Tim

michiken
03-19-2006, 09:28 PM
DJ,

If you are using Firefox 1.5, you can set the cookies as shown in the attached photo. This will block all 3rd party cookies i.e. doubleclick/advertiser tracking.

When you close FF 1.5, it will prompt you to automatically clear private data. Just say yes and all the cookies will be deleted. This will make the cookies valid for only the current browser session.

Alternatively, you can block all cookies and use the Exceptions button to manually add sites. This is my regular surfing mode and I have set my Exceptions for PA and sites that I trust.

K