PDA

View Full Version : HORSES CAN'T TALK

Alwidetsky
03-17-2006, 03:14 PM
I'm posting this material as favor for an old gentelman, who is behind this proposal.
As he is not a computer user, it is ok to contact him by phone or by mail to discuss this idea.

LET US BE FAIR. THE KENTUCKY DERBY IS THE START OF THE THREE RACE TOURNAMENT TO THE TRIPLE CROWN WINNER WHO IS AWARDED MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND WORLD RECOGNITION.
I PROPOSE THAT NO NEW HORSE BE ALLOWED TO ENTER BELMONT, THE THIRD RACE, IF THE KENTUCKY DERBY AND PREAKNESS HAVE BEEN WON BY THE SAME HORSE.
IT IS UNFAIR FOR A FRESH, RESTED HORSE TO ENTER THE BELMONT AND RUN AGAINST THE HORSE HAVING WON BOTH THE KENTUCKY DERBY AND THE PREAKNESS, THUS PREVENTING THE TRIPLE CROWN WINNER, FOR THIS OR ANY SAID YEAR.
AL I WIDETSKY
129 SO VIRGINIA AV #301

ATLANTIC CITY, NJ 08401

609-348-8551

kenwoodallpromos
03-17-2006, 11:02 PM
They can skip the Preakness, so what's the diff?

Observer
03-17-2006, 11:23 PM
A change to make the Triple Crown an easier task lessens the prestige. Besides, it's not usually the "new" horse that's the most powerful in the Belmont.

Smarty Jones lost to Birdstone, who was in the Derby.
Funny Cide lost to Empire Maker, who was in the Derby.
*-War Emblem lost to Sarava, "new" shooter.
Charismatic lost to Lemon Drop Kid, who was in the Derby.
Real Quiet lost to Victory Gallop, 2nd in the Derby & Preakness.
Silver Charm lost to Touch Gold, 4th in the Preakness.
Sunday Silence lost to Easy Goer, 2nd in the Derby & Preakness.
Alysheba lost to Bet Twice, 2nd in the Derby & Preakness.

*-War Emblem suffered the worst Belmont finish of all Derby-Preakness winners.

Ron
03-17-2006, 11:48 PM
I would tend to agree, although I would be happy if I never saw a Triple Crown winner for the rest of my life. There's no Triple Crown bonus this year, so a race is a race.

Stevie Belmont
03-18-2006, 10:30 AM
I hate when fresh horse wins the Belmont. Thats the nature of the business. It's not supposed to be easy. To win the Triple Crown. You have to be the best at the time, and that includes beating all comers. There would be no sense in even running the races if they did change it. Dead issue, will never happen, nor should it.

Tom
03-18-2006, 11:19 AM
True Champions don't duck competition. What if only two horses lasted to run in the Belmont? Pretty shabby Triple Crown Champ in that case? There is a resaon we only have a handful of TC Champs - it wouldn't be a special dael if we have 34 of them already.

Let the horses earn the title, on the track.

GaryG
03-18-2006, 11:45 AM
It was no coincidence there were 3 TC winners in 6 years, those 3 had class, speed and durability. The races won't be swept until a horse with all of the right attributes comes along again. The bonus does nothing to add to the prestige of winning the TC. Wunning the TC is to become "one of the ones".

46zilzal
03-18-2006, 11:51 AM
It was no coincidence there were 3 TC winners in 6 years, those 3 had class, speed and durability. The races won't be swept until a horse with all of the right attributes comes along again. The bonus does nothing to add to the prestige of winning the TC. Wunning the TC is to become "one of the ones".
Part of the equation is LUCK: Riva Ridge might have been there without the off track, Silver Charm, Canonero (thrush infection) and then there is Dark Star and Eric Gurein's questionable ride on the Dancer.

JustRalph
03-18-2006, 12:44 PM
*-War Emblem suffered the worst Belmont finish of all Derby-Preakness winners.

yeah, I think he was the only one who basically fell to his knee's out of the gate also.........

kenwoodallpromos
03-18-2006, 01:36 PM
I believe Sarava was a longshot.
I think if Bailey and Pay retired in 2000 we may have had another TC winner by now!
It is not tough to do all 3 because they are the Triple Crown; They are the TC because they are tough! The TC name is just PR, the choice is and should be up to the owners.
I like the current set up of $ qualifications to get into the KY Derby because if it was just winning certain races trip and fitness luck would play too big a part.