PDA

View Full Version : Ever swept an entire card?

dav4463
03-14-2006, 11:59 PM
Has anyone here ever handicapped an entire card of racing and had the winner on top in every race? I think the Wizard, who sells picks on the Brisnet site, did it one time at Santa Anita and actually hit with a couple of longshots that day. I'm sure somewhere a newspaper handicapper got lucky and pulled it off considering how many cards they handicap. I've never come close myself ! I tend to put too many longshots on top, so I don't expect to ever sweep a card.

Zaf
03-15-2006, 12:12 AM
The best I ever have done was 7 for 9. I did it twice at Belmont. Wish I had more days like that :jump:

Z

Pace Cap'n
03-15-2006, 06:30 AM
How about 11 for 11?

Just last week at Los Alamitos (http://racing.aqha.com/racing/dyn_content.aspx?FQD=http://www.aqha.com/aqharacing.com/news/06stories/06burgartsperfectnight.html)...

shanta
03-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Nope but came close twice.

First time was like 15 years ago at the OTB on White Plains Road in the Bronx. It was a Tuesday and I was there using the TPR numbers betting Philly with a friend of mine. I hit the DD,then missed the 3rd race. I swept the rest of the card and my buddy said to me that I had missed sweeping the card by 1 lousy race.

2nd time was Breeder's Cup day in the late 90's. I went to the Meadowlands with $ 180 bucks in my pocket. Bet the Breeders Cup and got destroyed. I had like 9 bucks left in my pocket. The Meadowlands was running a live card that night so I had an 8 dollar DD play, 2 horse in each of the first 2 races written down. Figured I would bet it then head home broke.

I get up from the table in the Franchises to walk outside and clear my head when I walk past a bank of betting machines and hear this beeping noise. I look and there is a voucher in there for $ 194.00. NO body within 30 yards of the machine except me. I took it and went downstairs to a teller and instead of betting 2 dollar doubles I bet them for 10. Comes in paying like 60 for 2 bucks. Now I have hundreds. I hit the 3rd,hit the 4th then lost the 5th. I swept the rest of the card including 2 signer pick 3's and walked out with close to 5 grand.

Richie

twindouble
03-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Has anyone here ever handicapped an entire card of racing and had the winner on top in every race? I think the Wizard, who sells picks on the Brisnet site, did it one time at Santa Anita and actually hit with a couple of longshots that day. I'm sure somewhere a newspaper handicapper got lucky and pulled it off considering how many cards they handicap. I've never come close myself ! I tend to put too many longshots on top, so I don't expect to ever sweep a card.

In all the years I've been playing I never won a whole card for the simple reason was rare for me to take in a whole card, time constraints work and all. When I did take in a full day it was a fun thing, ESP at the fairs with the kids and Saratoga. I'm sure there was days when I could very well have done it if I played the races that included the heavy chalks but that was never important to me. Staying on top of what your doing playing the horses along with everything else isn't an easy feat, that's for sure. I don't think I'll ever get to that level of involvement again.

T.D.

OTM Al
03-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Never hit a whole single card but had a great winning streak at Aqu a little more than a year ago. Starting with the second Pick 3, which would begin in race 3, I ran the table for the rest of the card, so hit winners on races 3-9. The next day I went to the OTB and hit the early double and the first Pick 3 before the streak ended, so races 1-4 there, so did pick the winner in 11 straight races and never spread more than 3 horses in a race, though admittedly it wasn't always my top choice that won.

joeprunes
03-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Quite a few times in the 70` and 80`s when racing wasnt as drugged as it is now. When you can pick one with one in a dd. To me racing has changed alot since medication and new trainer methods jmo,,,joe

The Judge
03-15-2006, 10:46 AM
Steve Davidowitz hit either 10 or 13 in a row don't know if it was on the same card he was a public handicapper then.

gillenr
03-15-2006, 11:16 AM
No, but BEEN SWEPT more times than I can count. That's why I use BRIS custom card now & only play all turf & 2 turn dirt alw/high $ clm.

oddswizard
03-15-2006, 11:22 AM
I sweep the card at least 6 times annually. Several years ago I won 23 straight Breeders Cup races. That was my proudest moment in racing. At one time I lost 18 races in a row which is my personal worst. I was so upset I took 2 days off to review my mistakes. I discovered my handicapping was correct, I just had bad racing luck. I then went to the races and won the next 26 races in a row! Ironically, the win streak came at the San Juaquin County Fair in Stockton, California. At the Sonoma County Fair I swept both cards one day at the Seminar I hosted. Won all races at both Santa Rosa & Del Mar. We made a lot of fans happy that day. So far I have not been able to duplicate this feat but I am still trying.

the little guy
03-15-2006, 11:28 AM
I sweep the card at multiple tracks at least twice a week, and usually much more often. I mean, how do you think I got up $17 million already in 2006?

I'm more than certain I'm far from alone with this kind of success around here.

Zaf
03-15-2006, 11:44 AM
:lol: :lol:

GMB@BP
03-15-2006, 12:52 PM
I sweep the card at least 6 times annually. Several years ago I won 23 straight Breeders Cup races. That was my proudest moment in racing. At one time I lost 18 races in a row which is my personal worst. I was so upset I took 2 days off to review my mistakes. I discovered my handicapping was correct, I just had bad racing luck. I then went to the races and won the next 26 races in a row! Ironically, the win streak came at the San Juaquin County Fair in Stockton, California. At the Sonoma County Fair I swept both cards one day at the Seminar I hosted. Won all races at both Santa Rosa & Del Mar. We made a lot of fans happy that day. So far I have not been able to duplicate this feat but I am still trying.

23 breeders cup winners in a row.....you are my new hero and undoubtedly you will lead the way in taking the pace advantage site to new handicapping glory.

I would say your post is meant sarcastically but revelations such as yours are common place at this site.

toetoe
03-15-2006, 01:10 PM
It wasn't worth a ton of money, but over the last three at Fairplex once, I cashed every single type of bet, unless they already had the quinella. Win, exacta and trifecta on race 8, win and start of double in race 9, double and superfecta in the nightcap. Mini-"sweep" worth only about $300, but amazing to me.

betchatoo
03-15-2006, 01:42 PM
I won every pick 3 at Calder one day, but I can't say I swept the board because in some races I had multiple selections

Niko
03-15-2006, 01:44 PM
I believe Davidowitz did 13 in a row, but it was with his daily best bets that he gave out on the radio. Don't remember if it was just 1 best bet each day or the best bets of the day. He had a good streak going at one point.

I've gone many cards without a winner.....

JackS
03-15-2006, 05:30 PM
I posted this once before and maybe a little off topic. I swept the P6 once with two P3's for a grand total of $1500+. One winner in the P6 paid $260,000.

Jeff P
03-15-2006, 06:27 PM
Sunday Mar 05, 2006 at Golden Gate - Had the winner in each of the last 7 races on the card cold. None of them paid that much. Bet the $10.40 winner individually and had the late pick-4 (small payoff.) Never even occured to me that I could have had the pick-6 (2k payoff) that day for $2.00.

GGX SUN 03/05/2006
R3 #2 Wild Wes 4.00
R4 #1 Next Trieste 4.00
R5 #1 La Balladar 5.60
R6 #3 Proper Queen 3.40
R7 #1 Prince of Gold 10.40
R8 #3 Vaca City Flyer 4.00
R9 #5 Fullmoon Howl 7.00

Just like everyone else, I've had my share of cards when I've gone 0-fer.

-jp

jk3521
03-15-2006, 09:43 PM
I once hit a five of six pick six winning $600 with absolutely no handicapping, using just the Daily News and going by trainers. The next week I went to OTB and threw in $300 worth of bets on the pick six and got zilch. All pure luck.

mainardi
03-15-2006, 11:15 PM
I only play a couple of races a day at any given track, so that qualifies (sort of), since I have swept all the races that I played at a given track on a given day.

But that leads me to the inevitable question: what constitutes a "sweep"? :confused:

Since we all have opinions, here's mine: if you won every race on the card with a SINGLE selection to win, then that's a sweep. Anything else is playing the lotto. Why do I say that? Because, as an example, I've seen more than a few people in the P.A. Downs contest pick 3 to 5 horses in an 8 or 9 horse field and they "win"... but if they cashed in all 30 races, I wouldn't consider that to be a sweep. :( :blush:

There are on-line (and on-track) touts that talk about "sweeping the card" :liar: , but what they don't tell you is that they used their top three selections in each race. That's fine... just show me where you hit the trifecta in each race, and then I'll give you the "sweep"... only if you picked them in order.

FUGITIVE77
03-16-2006, 02:11 AM
I swept the card twice in my rookie year in 83 betting all nine races. Since I rarely can find two or three bets a card these days the only sweeping would be my pics on paper and with that I already have a sweep this year but they were all favorites in short fields. My best story is one day my cousin was going to Arlington and I gave him a list of my top horses in each race. He hit two pic threes and the pick-6 for $6000 all on single two dollar tickets. Except for his win bets he split the entire booty with me.

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2006, 04:13 AM
I would say your post is meant sarcastically but revelations such as yours are common place at this site.

Commonplace? Baloney, and you know it.

betchatoo
03-16-2006, 08:27 AM
I swept the card twice in my rookie year in 83 betting all nine races. Since I rarely can find two or three bets a card these days the only sweeping would be my pics on paper and with that I already have a sweep this year but they were all favorites in short fields. My best story is one day my cousin was going to Arlington and I gave him a list of my top horses in each race. He hit two pic threes and the pick-6 for $6000 all on single two dollar tickets. Except for his win bets he split the entire booty with me.

Your cousin has class

GMB@BP
03-16-2006, 08:44 AM
Commonplace? Baloney, and you know it.

your joking right?

I would think I am a pretty good player, but the claims that are made here....well I know I have a long way to go.

DrugSalvastore
03-16-2006, 12:43 PM
I sweep the card at least 6 times annually. Several years ago I won 23 straight Breeders Cup races.

Wow!!! That's almost as impressive as my current streak of 43 straight winners in turf races at Gulstream Park.

Boy O' Boy am I hot right now!

Yesterdays tenth race was such a toughie---I thought my streak might end at 42 in a row--I took a shot and bet a sneaky 36/1 longshot named Sharp. Now, the dam of Sharp never tried turf, but her full sister ran her lifetime top speed figure on turf, and the 2nd dam of Sharp, she was a sibling to five key turf horses. Including, Explosive Bid (who a 600K turf stake is named after!) LA SOUFRIERE (who won the New York Handicap over grass) Ubique (who is a multiple Group 1 winner over lawn in the caribean) Seattle Smooth (who once ran 2nd in a Grade 1) and the unraced Slewway (who is the dam of near Turf Millionaire Slew Valley, Grade 1 winner KJ's Appeal, and 8 time turf winner Cryptoway)

Boy was I sharp to pick Sharp (he-he-he!) he opened up 11 lengths early, and held on to win by 2 1/2 lengths. I was really proud! Hopefully I can run my streak to 100 in a row. Well, gotta go.

Binder
03-16-2006, 05:09 PM
I had 1 magic day a few years ago betting Philly
I was sitting at my table. A guy who I sat with for years
sits down and says, Give me your readouts for each race. I will structure the bets. You give me the numbers I'll suggest the bets. You make the bets if you agree.. He said we will start with $60
and when were done will spilt any profit. If we lose its on me (the man)
I figured sure why not
Anyway between Win bets Daily doubles Exactas Trifectas and even the last race Super we collected after every race. It was just all working.So after like 4 races we could get very creative Just everything worked
We ended up with $1200. I made $600 gave the man $100 of It I felt so happy he believed in my work I had to do something

Well the next week we tried again Once agin we started with $60 and went broke after race 4 :(

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2006, 06:13 PM
your joking right?

I would think I am a pretty good player, but the claims that are made here....well I know I have a long way to go.

You used the word (or words) commonplace. That's all I'm debating.

oddswizard
03-19-2006, 12:07 PM
If you really hit that many selections in a row I congratulate you. When I answer a post I just state the facts. I am not making statements to cause controversy. I am trying to help other handicappers & learn from others. You might be interested to know that my Breeders Cup Selections were given in advance on the public radio program "Sports Talk Saturday" on KSRO
1350 a week in advance.

DrugSalvastore
03-19-2006, 12:53 PM
If you really hit that many selections in a row I congratulate you. When I answer a post I just state the facts. I am not making statements to cause controversy. I am trying to help other handicappers & learn from others. You might be interested to know that my Breeders Cup Selections were given in advance on the public radio program "Sports Talk Saturday" on KSRO
1350 a week in advance.

Yea, your name is Danny Holmes---I see you are a legendary salesman, turned handicapper. See, alarms ought to go off when someone claims to have selected the winner in 23 straight Breeders Cup Races...and when said person is also the author of a book called

America's Greatest Salesmasters.

Well, lets just say...one will become more skeptical---and as I'm SURE you know, all horse players worth a damn are skeptics by nature. I went Ken Wood and did a google--here's what I have....people can make their own judgements regarding if your claims or authentic, fraudulent, or just old fashion salesmanship. BTW, your welcome in advance.

http://www.inventorsalliance.org/index.cgi?112297

Speaker:Danny Holmes: Business consultant and author of Ten Steps to Winning and America's Greatest Salesmasters.Topic:Improving salesmanship and promoting an invention with creative marketing.Room:137 Bannan Hall

Come and learn:

How to sell products better, faster and make big profits!
How the "masters" use Creative Marketing to achieve record sales volume, including excerpts from Danny's book, America's Greatest Salesmasters.
The best methods to promote your invention.
"Nothing happens until you sell something," says Danny Holmes. This statement is especially important to inventors, who often find themselves pursuing inventing as an expensive hobby rather than a money making enterprise. What many inventors lack is salesmanship skills, and Danny is just the person to show us how to develop them.

Danny has won numerous awards for sales achievement, and has written business and sales manuals for many firms utilizing his creative selling techniques. He is a lecturer, business consultant, and author of Ten Steps to Winning and America's Greatest Salesmasters. He specializes in taking a difficult selling situation and turning it into a simple sale. Danny's sales seminars teach this "simplicity of selling" program, and he encourages questions from the audience to help solve even the most challenging sales problems. Danny is also the inventor of the factory built modular home.

In 1961, Danny became the number one salesman in the United States for IBC Homes in Charleston, Illinois. After setting record sales and profits, be became a consultant for many other firms in the lumber and construction industries.

In the following ten years, he set sales records for several firms specializing in pre-fab, factory built and modular homes. During this time he won several awards for best exhibit design at various trade shows, including the San Francisco Sports and Boat Show. In 1970, Danny set a record for selling over $40 million dollars of custom homes in a single year.

In 1971, Danny retired from this field and started his own consulting firm. He has trained over 100,000 salespeople in various industries throughout the United States. As a consultant, he specializes in providing professional sales training and marketing expertise for his clients, which have included Magnavox, General Electric, Frigidaire, Eureka Vacuums, Master Pools, Macy's, Anita of Denmark Cosmetics, Bank of America, PBS Television Network and others. In addition, Danny was producer of One-On-One, a syndicated national television show on the ESPN Sports Network. He has appeared on both television and radio shows as an expert on marketing, low cost housing and horse racing. Danny is the host of the Sonoma County Fair's daily racing seminars that play to standing room audiences every day at the fair.

Jeff P
03-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Now THAT's pretty damn impresive... and fascinating. You see I've never been one of those guys who could sell ice to eskimos. I'm a techie an inventor a dedicated researcher... a mad scientist if you will. I'm one of those guys who on some level NEEDS to figure out how things work in the natural world. I even stopped selling my own invention because I'm afraid of too many people having it. Back in the day when I was in the 9-5 world I worked alongside some of the best "there's an eskimo he needs all the ice we've got" salesmen to ever put on a plug in tie. On some level I always felt smarter than these guys. In fact I was sure that some of them had the same brains that god gave to animal crackers. But their ability to sell and sell and sell always managed to impress me. Because it was a talent that I just never had. Which kind of brings me to my point. Want to get rich? It's easy actually. Learn how to sell. Doesn't really matter what you sell. Learn to do it well and the world will lay a red carpet at your feet. How does this relate to horseracing and sweeping a card? Even the very best horseplayers on the planet can't hold a candle income wise to the top 20 percent of salesmen out there. Sweep a card? How much will you make? In my previous post in this thread I stated that I had the winner of the last 7 races on a 9 race card at Golden Gate. I'm talking about my single top rated horse winning 7 consecutive races including those in the pick six. If I were to try and place a probability on that happening again I'd estimate it happens for me in about 1 out of every 9000 race cards I look at. For my efforts what did I rake in that day? Somewhere around 700.00 bucks? Not a bad day... until you stop and consider how much a top salesman might make on one of his better days. Want to get rich? It's easy. Get out of horseracing and learn how to sell.

-jp

banacek
03-19-2006, 03:01 PM
My best was when I was about 18. On a 9 race card I bet nine 2 horse exactor boxes. Won 8 of them - the other came 1st and 3rd. Betting $20 boxes I made $1300 profit. Boy, was I a star for a while. So almost 30 years later I'm waiting for something like that to happen again!