PDA

View Full Version : HSH3 - features Q & A for Dave

DJofSD
03-14-2006, 10:57 PM
OK, I've started a new thread. An excellent suggestion - 1 thumb up!

To restate the initial Q but modified: is there a data base as a part of H3 located on the user's PC? If so, is it directly accessable via normal methods such as Xbase DBMS or equivalent software?

Dave Schwartz
03-14-2006, 11:42 PM
There is a database on the user's pc but it is only accessible through the HSH program itself. This comes with both good news and bad news.

The bad news is that having the ability to run SQL queries against the data would expand the power tremendously.

The good news is that you don't have to know diddly (as we say in the software biz) about much of anything to make all the queries most of us need.

Almost everything is template based as shown in the screenshot below.

http://www.horsestreet.com/BBSImages/H3vsH2-004.jpg

If you really want to "roll your own" (database, that is) then you want to export the data into a more queryable database.

Dave

DJofSD
03-17-2006, 06:06 PM
Dave, I'm already rolling my own data base. But that is kind of a peripheral task.

My central 'concern' is not to have to abandon other tools that I've built over the years just because I switched handicapping packages. I can rewrite my programs to get to any of the usual type of data bases. But if the HDW data, once H3 imports it is not available to me via my programs and the typical API's then it causes me to pause.

So, perhaps, another or better question is this: how is the HDW data obtained by H3? Is there an intergrated function that acquires the data directly? Or, do I download the HDW data to my system then use H3 to import the data? If the later, is the downloaded HDW data remaining on my system afterwards?

Dave Schwartz
03-17-2006, 06:22 PM
DJ,

HSH does not provide an auto-downloader; we just use your browser.

The long and the short of it is that in order to use the HDW download file you must be a software developer with an agreement in place to use it. (The file is binary in nature, zipped and password protected. The file formats are closely guarded secrets.

It sounds like, from your query, that you are quite satisfied with your current provider of information. Why would you look to change?

Understand that the strength of HDW data lies in the proprietary factors; HSH further enhances those factors.

When we moved to HDW we had about 5 years of data from 10-15 tracks. Now, almost 5 years later, we have completely flushed that data because the proprietary factors are unavailable (and the data was simply not as "clean").

So, if you are looking for an "export source" you could certainly use HSH but you would not be exported raw data.

Dave

PS: If I have misunderstood your question, please try again.