PDA

View Full Version : The conference tourney conspiracy theory

Valuist
03-09-2006, 03:20 PM
No sooner had I heard this mentioned this morning and sure enough, George Washington has already lost. The theory is this: small conferences with one team that towers over the others, (i.e. the A-10 w/Geo Wash or the West Coast with Gonzaga) obviously will be better served to get another team in the tourney due to the automatic bid. Schools like Geo Wash and Gonzaga will get at-large bids regardless of what happens. But the others schools in those conferences only chance at an NCAA berth is to win the conference tourney. Fix? No, but one can't help but wonder if those teams playing the conference kingpin will get the questionable calls from the officials.

Bubbles
03-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Here's a tip: Watch the Patriot League final. Bucknell, at one point, was considered a lock for the Big Dance, but they're set for a huge showdown with Holy Cross tomorrow. The Crusaders are a very good team, and while I'm admittedly biased (Keith Simmons, who's shooting the lights out and averaging about 17 a game, was a senior at Kingston High when I was a freshman), it should be a solid game. If HC wins, is Bucknell still a lock, and if so, what iffy major conference team, or solid mid-major team, gets the boot?

Personally, I hope it's Creighton. No way should a non-dominant team in a mid-major that loses in the first round get into the Dance.

toetoe
03-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Valuist,

Is that because it means more money for the conference? :confused:

Valuist
03-10-2006, 09:22 AM
Exactly. The more teams a conference gets in, the more money to be shared.

Not saying fixes but this has happened quite a few times. Of course the #1 seed may be completely unmotivated to play in the conference tourney (Possibly UConn yesterday?). Let's face it, its all about the NCAA tourney

rastajenk
03-10-2006, 11:01 AM
If a good team gets beat in a conference tournament by an inspired opponent, you can invoke the any-given-day excuse. But when a supposedly Top Ten team like GW lays down as flat as a pancake like yesterday, it sure makes you wonder. If they're not going to win it all, they might as well lose early and get the couple extra days' rest, right?

That all top four seeds in the A-10 went down in one day is sure weird, though. I wonder if that's ever happened before.

cj
03-13-2006, 05:32 AM
GW with an 8 seed? Seems a bit too big a punishment for losing a game with your best player out.

Figman
03-13-2006, 09:30 AM
I really like UNC-Wilmington against George Washington!

By the way, here is a real insiders sports site.
http://armadillosports.com/

Valuist
03-13-2006, 10:17 AM
They punish some teams (i.e. Cincinnati) for losing early in the meaningless conference tourneys, then reward others (Syracuse). Syracuse was probably looking at a 10 seed going into the BE tourney and got bumped up to a 5 seed. In the 5-12 game they are only a 1 point favorite.

OTM Al
03-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Another infamous 5 vs 12 seed looking matchup. Seems that this is where most of the first round "upsets" regularly occur

Valuist
03-13-2006, 01:03 PM
Its funny how the mainstream media will often call a game result an "upset" when in fact the favored team won.

Valuist
03-16-2006, 12:42 PM
I heard an interesting conspiracy theory although it doesn't involve conference tourneys. It involves the NCAA tourney this year.

Most were surprised that Cincinnati was not selected and that Seton Hall, from the same conference, was selected. I have a friend who is a Cincy alum and he says the rumor is the Cincy university president, a woman who hates all things related to Bob Huggins, asked the NCAA to NOT select the Bearcats, thus making it easier to justify not hiring interim coach Andy Kennedy.

JustRalph
03-16-2006, 01:56 PM
I heard an interesting conspiracy theory although it doesn't involve conference tourneys. It involves the NCAA tourney this year.

Most were surprised that Cincinnati was not selected and that Seton Hall, from the same conference, was selected. I have a friend who is a Cincy alum and he says the rumor is the Cincy university president, a woman who hates all things related to Bob Huggins, asked the NCAA to NOT select the Bearcats, thus making it easier to justify not hiring interim coach Andy Kennedy.

Haven't you heard........? Nancy is going to do away with Basketball at Cincy.........