PDA

View Full Version : Upset at World Baseball

banacek
03-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Canada 8 U.S. 6. Canada took an 8-0 lead and held on.

Valuist
03-14-2006, 12:36 PM
They lost again; this time to Korea. I could see them losing to the DR or even Venezuela w/their staff but Korea? They said they started their baseball organization only about 25 years ago.

chickenhead
03-14-2006, 12:50 PM
I watched some of that Korea game last night, not sure who they've played so far but through something like 50 innings their staff ERA was 1.20 or something like that. They looked ok.

Was wondering how they do the umps? Whoever was behind the plate caled it fair when I was watching, I was just wondering how they make sure they don't get a homer behind the plate...they must fly in umps from all over the place?

Valuist
03-14-2006, 03:02 PM
I heard that some of the umps were guys that were let go in the 1999 Ump Strike. Also I believe minor league umps.

cj
03-14-2006, 03:11 PM
Watching that Korean team doesn't bode well for the US. Some of those guys will probably be playing in Williamsport this summer.

betchatoo
03-14-2006, 03:25 PM
Watching that Korean team doesn't bode well for the US. Some of those guys will probably be playing in Williamsport this summer.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

cj
03-14-2006, 03:27 PM
I heard that some of the umps were guys that were let go in the 1999 Ump Strike. Also I believe minor league umps.

One was Bob Davidson, who totally blew a call in favor of the US against Japan.

kingfin66
03-15-2006, 01:22 AM
The umpires being used are AAA umpires. There are also some umpires from the other countries represented in the tournament. MLB and the Major League Umpires Association (or whatever it is called these days) could not come to a financial agreement. Many of the umpires have extensive MLB experience as they fill in as vacation umpires. Some of the umpires, Bob Davidson for example, were once permanent MLB umpires but lost their jobs in the ill-advised mass resignation several years back. As part of their settlement, those umpires were allowed to start anew in the minor leagues and work their way back with no promise of a permanent job.

kingfin66
03-15-2006, 01:24 AM
The replays did show that Davidson blew the call. What really looked bad was that the umpire in the infield made the initial call on the appeal and signaled safe, then after a meeting had Davidson overrule him. Granted, it was Davidson's call to begin with since he was the plate umpire and the fly ball was hit to left field. Regardless, he missed it. That sucks for Japan.

Valuist
03-15-2006, 09:35 AM
This isn't our college players either. This is A-Rod, Jeter, Clemens, Griffey et al. I like how the US got lumped into the block w/teams like Canada (who we lost to) and Korea, who's barely been playing the game for 25 years. And "we're" still in the threat of elimination. Basketball was bad enough but this is inexcusable.

mainardi
03-15-2006, 11:41 PM
The replays did show that Davidson blew the call. What really looked bad was that the umpire in the infield made the initial call on the appeal and signaled safe, then after a meeting had Davidson overrule him. Granted, it was Davidson's call to begin with since he was the plate umpire and the fly ball was hit to left field. Regardless, he missed it. That sucks for Japan.
Just because we all love "train wrecks" -- who's NOT enjoying Larry Brown melt down with "Starbury" & his merry men, along with "Nero" Isiah at the helm -- I'm actually rooting for justice to be done and have Japan beat Korea. It's not un-American... it's just that when anybody (or any team) gets jobbed, you feel like there should be some form of justice... except that it mostly doesn't work out that way. All Korea has to do is lose by less than 7 runs... would they really collude with Japan to make this happen? Doubtful, as I'm sure they'd like to beat Japan (Asia's self-proclaimed best team).

Valuist
03-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Isiah Thomas gets my nomination for worst GM in any sport. He wanted Marbury, Steve Francis and Jalen Rose on his team.....three of the more selfish players in a league where it takes something to stand out as being overly selfish.

New York Knicks:

Leagues highest payroll
Leagues lowest victory total

mainardi
03-16-2006, 11:47 PM
Is almost seemed pre-destined that when the USA won the game against Japan in the manner that they did, some weird doggy-do was going to happen and they'd get knocked out. :(

Dang... have we seen the last of the Rocket? After "going out" like that -- losing pitcher against MEXICO (!) -- I think that he comes back and pitches this year... just to get the bad taste out of his mouth... plus the $15-20 million. :p