PDA

View Full Version : Excellent

karlskorner
03-08-2006, 06:13 PM
The BOSTON Clam Chowder at the new Gulfstream Park is outstanding. Plenty of clams, the right texture and 2 bags of oysterets all for $3.50. A hearty meal in itself.

cj
03-08-2006, 06:21 PM
Seems like odd food for a camping trip, but then again, I'm not from Boston.

JimG
03-08-2006, 06:26 PM
Seems like odd food for a camping trip, but then again, I'm not from Boston.

:lol::lol::lol:

karlskorner
03-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Just thought I would throw that in, after some of the bad media reports about GP ( I guess they miss the free food and object to the cramped quarters ) But some of our posters seemed to like it and the tourists I have spoken to are enjoying every minute. Free Parking, Free admission. It cost $5.00 for a very comfortable leather arm chair and space to spread out your paper work in either the North or South Clubhouse for those who enjoy simulcast. Both rooms are jammed, with plenty of standees around high tables. Makes me wonder sometimes why people are playing simulcast when world class racing is taking place just outside the front doors. The new GP takes some getting use too, it's a place for the simulcast player, my understanding is that 80 percent of the handle comes from simulcast. MEC is rethinking their plans for a seperate slot machine building, since the got screwed by the State of Florida and are alloted only 1500 slots with a 50 percent tax, when they were planning for 3000. Rather than build a slot's building they are going to put the slots in the South Club house and increase size of the Grand Stand. As I said the new GP needs some getting use to. I park in my usual space, it's a short walk to the Paddock, put a "saver" on a front row seat and enjoy the closeness to the horses, trainers, owners and jockeys. Stand by the up ramp to the track to view the horses going to the track ( have yet to see a horse slip or fall as everyone was worried about ), a short walk into the track, go up the stairs leading to the 2nd floor to view the warmups, go make my wager, return to the apron where there is a very large TV screen or back up the stairs, than back to the paddock to enjoy the sun and warm weather. It's an adjustment from the past that is easy to make. As I said earlier the new GP is defintely for the simulcast player, but the on site player will enjoy every moment.

the little guy
03-08-2006, 09:04 PM
" Hey, but the clam chowder is great! "

Quite a defense.

They're jammed in the simulcast rooms because there's nowhere else to see ANY out of town races.

karlskorner
03-08-2006, 09:26 PM
Where else would you like to see simulcasting, outside in the heat, next to some guy chomping on a cheap cigar, or rather an air conditioned room, smoke free, with leather chairs for a lousy five bucks ( remember you parked and got in free ) so you can afford the five bucks. I would state that the 2 rooms are as good as any in Vegas and certainly better than most tracks offer their simulcast players. I am sorry that your 3 day visit was such a disaster, but maybe next year on your 3 day visit you will leave the chip on your shoulder in NYC and appreciate where the future of horse racing is going.

the little guy
03-08-2006, 09:45 PM
You actually don't understand me at all. I don't have a chip on my shoulder, and I certainly didn't have one entering the new Gulfstream, as one of the joys in my life has been attending the races at Gulfstream Park over the last 12 years. There is nothing I wanted more than to like the new Gulfstream, have a great time, and look forward to returning. Unfortunately, for me, the experience was poor and I won't be returning in the near future. I would have made at least two more trips had the new Gulfstream been even half as enjoyable an outdoor South Florida experience as the previous track. Sadly, I found the day to be utterly unenjoyable ( and I even made a bunch of money that weekend ).

I was responding to your question as to why would people want to spend time indoors at Gulfstream when I said why they were in the simulcast room. I happen to agree with you, and that's particularly why I don't like the new Gulfstream, as I DON'T want to go to the races in the Miami area in the winter and feel forced indoors. Unfortunately, I had no choice if I wanted to watch the races...and take notes. It's $10, by the way, and not $5, and while I consider that a ripoff, I really don't care ( in fact I purchased three seats for my friends on the day I sat in there ). On the other hand, the $10 may be a bit steep for many of the patrons.

Karl, I sincerely hope that you love the new track, as you live there and obviously draw a great deal of pleasure from spending your time at the races ( something I respect and can absolutely understand...as the racetrack is my favorite place in the whole world ). Whether or not you care to believe it, I would feel especially bad for both you and Tom Mcshell if you felt as I do about Gulfstream, as that would affect both of your lives in a seemingly unfair and poor manner. So I don't like it, that hardly means I HOPE others don't, I'm just not surprised when they don't. But, I honestly hope that anybody and everybody that goes there completely disagrees with me and has a great time at the new track.

the little guy
03-08-2006, 09:47 PM
And, let me add, I don't disagree with you that in many ways Gulfstream is a track of the future, and had the same plant been built to replace Aqueduct, save the saddling closet and cramped apron, I would applaud the effort....for the most part.

The problem for me is that the new Gulfstream does little to nothing to allow a visitor to take advantage of the outdoor surroundings the way the old plant did.

Figman
03-08-2006, 09:51 PM
When does Hialeah open?

the little guy
03-08-2006, 09:53 PM
When does Hialeah open?

Let me give Dr. G a call and see if he knows.

Figman
03-08-2006, 09:55 PM
He may be residing in the bird sanctuary on the grounds. Not sure if he can answer the phone.

the little guy
03-08-2006, 09:56 PM
I would think a lot of riders would prefer he was " sleeping with the fishes. "

Tom
03-09-2006, 12:43 AM
The main attaction at Saratoga is , for me, the RED chowder. Startd eating it in 1977 and never stopped thinking about it! Man oh man......add that hot sauce....:jump:

the little guy
03-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Then you, like me, miss the old chowder bar.

karlskorner
03-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Just one correction, since your 3 day visit, they reduced the price to $5.00. Try to remember you visited a plant that is only 1/3rd completed, the best is yet come.

cj
03-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Just one correction, since your 3 day visit, they reduced the price to $5.00. Try to remember you visited a plant that is only 1/3rd completed, the best is yet come.

I know the hurricane set them back, and some delay is understandable. But the place is still only 1/3 finished?

karlskorner
03-09-2006, 10:55 AM
There are Condo's, a huge shopping mall and the Grandstand yet to be completed. The main building, as shown on their website, is done.except for a few things here and there. Visit their website and look at the 2 simulcast rooms and food courts, has any other track anything to compare, as a simulcast player wouldn't you enjoy the comforts ?

cj
03-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm sure it is nice, I've looked at the site a few times. I don't think I'd travel to Florida in winter time to sit in a simulcast room all day though.

karlskorner
03-09-2006, 11:24 AM
You have a choice, sit in a dark and danky siumulcast room or OTB up North during the day or come to Florida, hit the beach in the morning, the track in the afternoon and South Beach in the evening. Life IS good.

the little guy
03-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Now that I think about it.....didn't I see you at CroBar, Karl?

cj
03-09-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm a lot farther north, and east, than you probably think. And I don't sit in a simulcast room, I sit in my nice house, which is very comfortable for me :)

andicap
03-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Didn't read this week that Gulfstream is adding another grandstand seating area outdoors IN RESPONSE to customer complaints?

If so that's a double-edged sword. On the one hand Magna made a huge mistake limiting the outdoor seating. But on the other at least they are listening to their customers.

I also presume that Magna defenders will say that it was the plan all along to add another grandstand, but then again that's what "spin" is all about.

And ANOTHER THING Karl, you said people were crammed into the simulcast room. If it is so crowded and popular how early would I have to arrive at the track in order to even be able to sit in one of those comfy chairs.

("Give him the comfy chair."

"Apparently it isn't working. Give him -- the soft cushions!")

Free chowder next August for anyone who can identify that rerference.

karlskorner
03-09-2006, 05:58 PM
The Grandstand ( it thats what they want to call it ) is nothing more than one of the large tents left over from last year with tables and benches, a bar and a weekend food court (all temporary) All that is completed so far is whats shown on their web page. The new Grandstand will be attached on the North side of the Clubhouse, probably be finished by next season, since they are not putting up a seperate "slots" building because of the limited amount of slots allowed by the State, I am to assume the new Grandstand will be more luxurious in accordance with the Club House.

If you are coming, I would arrive about 11:30, as some of the tourists (mostly Canadians ) do lunch elsewhere. You can still come in off US-1 at the old entrance, but one day come in off Hallandale Blvd. and view the Condo's they put up for the backstretch people, between Palm Meadows Training Center and GP there is no questions it the finest living for these people in the whole country. The backstretch people have become first class citizens, even though most still hold a Green Card. It's in the 80's/90's so dress accordingly