PDA

View Full Version : Brisbet Interface Clunky?

michiken
03-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Do any of you think that the brisbet wagering interface is too busy/clunky?

1. Why do we need the Americatab banner photo at the top of the page? It takes up too much room and could be utilized for something else. The least they could do is make it smaller

2. Why do I need (3) links to video? Wouldn't the camera icon next to the track name suffice?

3. The Green and Gold color scheme has got to go. Why can't they make a user preference set that allows us to 'skin' the site with our choice of colors/fonts/layout? This could easily be done using css style sheets.

4. Why do I have to open 5 tracks in one window with frames? I would prefer to have a separate window open for each track, etc. I hate frames.

5. Why can't they add a recall LIVE bets links so that I can only see the last 10 or so wagers. I hate having to wait for the whole page to scroll. Keep the recall All Bets separately?

6. Do we really need 'Scratches', 'Weather', 'Contact Us', 'Schedule', 'Privacy', 'Legal' and all the other superfulous stuff that we might only need to view occasionally? Couldn't these all be put on a small menu at the bottom of the page?

7. Do we really need 16 post positions on every tote board? It would be easy for them to write a script to count all the entries and size the table to fit.

8. Would it be too much to ask to have tracks that have cancelled their cards to be removed from the dropdown list?

9. Could the track program be set to open in a new windows so I don't have to scroll thru frame after frame?

I have emailed them with some of these thoughts but never got a reply. I was just curious what the user's think.

PaceAdvantage
03-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Personally, I love BRISbet....but then again, I don't use their actual website to place wagers....I created my own, which is the very reason why I love them and hope they keep this format forever....

GameTheory
03-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Personally, I love BRISbet....but then again, I don't use their actual website to place wagers....I created my own, which is the very reason why I love them and hope they keep this format forever....Amen. All hail plain old HTML...

KyRacer
03-07-2006, 02:37 PM
BrisBet's interface works well for me and I'm comfortable with it. Being able to change colors and fonts and customizing the interface would be cool. As long as it's limited to one banner ad, I'm ok with that.

I like to use the Firefox browser wtih tabs. All the frames can be opened in other windows or tabs, by right clicking in the frame or on the links and going down to "This Frame" on the menu and selecting "Show only this frame"," Open in New Window", or Open in New Tab". You can have the exacta pools for several tracks open at the same time and the track program open also. They all seem to update the odds just fine.

highnote
03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Personally, I love BRISbet....but then again, I don't use their actual website to place wagers....I created my own, which is the very reason why I love them and hope they keep this format forever....

Ironic that they don't mind people scraping their betting site to place bets, but they don't want people scraping their toteboards to gather data to place bets.

PaceAdvantage
03-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Ironic that they don't mind people scraping their betting site to place bets, but they don't want people scraping their toteboards to gather data to place bets.

I do both, with nary a problem to date....perhaps you were updating too often for their liking? Their own site updates once every 60-62 seconds....if you're updating once every 1-5 seconds, you're going to set off some alarms...

highnote
03-08-2006, 09:40 PM
I think the problem was that I forgot to turn it off one night and it kept logging data. They cut off my access. They agreed to allow me access again as long as I didn't use software to scrape their toteboard. I agreed and haven't used it since.

No big deal. I can't bet anymore anyway from Connecticut.

PaceAdvantage
03-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Anybody with a mid-level knowledge of any popular programming language should be able to write their own program to "scrape" any of the html-based online toteboards (BRIS and/or RacingChannel.Com).

I'm sure there are lots of folks out there running their own programs....

highnote
03-09-2006, 12:40 AM
There probably are and I think they should be encouraged. BRIS doesn't see it that way, though.

Buddha
03-09-2006, 12:59 AM
I wish I had enough knowledge to do it. Maybe if I sat down one day and actually thought about it I would be able to :)

GameTheory
03-09-2006, 11:28 AM
You could probably set up a proxy server to do it "passively" -- just open the tote in your browser but record everything that comes down the line. The proxy would be an program that acts as a "middle-man" between your browser and the internet. Of course a well-written scraper would appear and act indistingable from your browser anyway...

cj
03-09-2006, 11:38 AM
Speaking of BRIS, I can't help but notice the following is included when you download charts now, with an auto grabber or otherwise:

userkey=97xxxxxxxxcj (Yes, that is my account info I hid)

This cannot be a good sign.

tahoesid
03-09-2006, 12:34 PM
This morning when i tried to download some charts I got the following:

Instant Charts is always FREE, compliments of Brisnet.com.
Brisnet Members -- click here to continue (https://www.brisnet.com/secure-bin/brisclub/member-pass.cgi?service=7&type=inc&country=USA&track=AQU&date=2006-02-24) Non-Customers -- click here to continue (http://www.brisnet.com/java-bris/servlet/PopReg_instant?second=yes&service=7&type=inc&country=USA&track=AQU&date=2006-02-24)

Needless to say they are making it more difficult to download free things. I am sure they will come up with some excuse. And people will say it's free so don't complain.

It is getting aggravating that they are taking what seems to be a dying game and making it more difficult to participate in it.

Buddha
03-09-2006, 02:52 PM

Brisnet Members -- click here to continue (https://www.brisnet.com/secure-bin/brisclub/member-pass.cgi?service=7&type=inc&country=USA&track=AQU&date=2006-02-24) Non-Customers -- click here to continue (http://www.brisnet.com/java-bris/servlet/PopReg_instant?second=yes&service=7&type=inc&country=USA&track=AQU&date=2006-02-24)

Needless to say they are making it more difficult to download free things. I am sure they will come up with some excuse. And people will say it's free so don't complain.

It is getting aggravating that they are taking what seems to be a dying game and making it more difficult to participate in it.

I ahve been getting this recently, and my Brisnet account for some reason isnt working. I ahve to get it fixed.

HTRFGuy
03-09-2006, 07:57 PM

This also happens periodically with Quick Results. I simply assume that they are doing a market "survey" to determine the extent to which non-members are using the downloads in contrast to members. Seems to me to be a reasonable question for them to ask from time to time.

tahoesid
03-12-2006, 01:35 AM
Forced me to automate the darn thing, been putting it off.:cool: