PDA

View Full Version : Kirby Puckett

46zilzal
03-05-2006, 04:23 PM
the 44 year old suffered a stroke......Too young for that.

Tee
03-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Too young for that.

Let's take a deeper look at that statement.
African-American
Male
Stroke Risk Factors increased because of above
Genetics
Lifestyle

Kirby Puckett having a stroke at 44 is not really out of the realm of possiblity.

46zilzal
03-05-2006, 06:15 PM
CVA's are much more complicated than history. A that age it screams NONE of the above

Hosshead
03-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Steroids ?

Valuist
03-06-2006, 09:45 AM
5'8" 300 lbs

I think that says it all.

shanta
03-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Fox News reporting that Kirby has passed away this evening. Taken in the prime of his life. Condolences to his loved ones and friends.

Richie

sq764
03-06-2006, 09:22 PM
He's dead.. So sad.. One of my favorite players ever.

Steve 'StatMan'
03-06-2006, 10:16 PM
What an amazing ballplayer. Such sad news.

I've often reflected on my life, and while I personally don't fear death, I do dread the possiblity of being seriously incapacitated and lingering in a difficult, care requireing state for a very long time. His passing so fast is sad and tragic, and yet I realize that, I personally would consider myself lucky should I pass fairly fast like he has when my time eventually comes.

BetHorses!
03-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Fox News reporting that Kirby has passed away this evening. Taken in the prime of his life. Condolences to his loved ones and friends.

Richie

I'm speechless. He was engaged also. Puts everything in perspective. My heart goes out to his family :(

kingfin66
03-06-2006, 11:45 PM
He's dead.. So sad.. One of my favorite players ever.

Mine too sq. I have about 400 or so of his baseball cards. He made the '91 WS one of the best ever.

kingfin66
03-06-2006, 11:47 PM
What an amazing ballplayer. Such sad news.

I've often reflected on my life, and while I personally don't fear death, I do dread the possiblity of being seriously incapacitated and lingering in a difficult, care requireing state for a very long time. His passing so fast is sad and tragic, and yet I realize that, I personally would consider myself lucky should I pass fairly fast like he has when my time eventually comes.

I mostly share your sentiments about death. The only thing that really scares me is the thought of my kids not having a father to raise them (my twins are only 6 yo). I believes Puck's kids are older than that, but they are sadly now without a father.

chickenhead
03-07-2006, 12:27 AM
That's pretty terrible...he was a great great player. RIP Kirby.

46zilzal
03-07-2006, 12:35 AM
that age, that bad it had to be a hemmorhagic vs. most which are emolic or thrombotic

sq764
03-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Wow, this was my only thought all day.. Death doesn't scare me.. Only thing is my 15 month old without a dad..Really puts thing in perspective..

I mostly share your sentiments about death. The only thing that really scares me is the thought of my kids not having a father to raise them (my twins are only 6 yo). I believes Puck's kids are older than that, but they are sadly now without a father.

JustRalph
03-07-2006, 08:03 AM
that age, that bad it had to be a hemmorhagic vs. most which are emolic or thrombotic

Well, that clears it up and adds so much to the discussion............

Steve 'StatMan'
03-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Good points about children left behind. I'm sure I'd feel much differently if I had kids, esp. young ones, and would have made different life choices to hopefully cover 'us'.

Valuist
03-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Here's his career numbers. No question his career was cut short. I heard he had the highest lifetime BA's for a RH hitter in the past generation:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/history/players/playerpage/puc415290

JustRalph
03-07-2006, 12:06 PM
He averaged 192 or so hits a year.

Pete Rose averaged 193.......... Kirby had a better batting average......318 versus .292.............

Rose had 22 years and Kirby had 12. I think this puts his numbers into perspective. He may have had a shot at Roses hit record............. maybe?
Way too many variables to predict........but I think Kirby did himself proud on the field.

46zilzal
03-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Well, that clears it up and adds so much to the discussion............
a simple way of UNDERSTANDING how a cerbrovascular accident would occur in a YOUNGER person. Should you not want enlightenment, that is your choice

Valuist
03-07-2006, 12:48 PM
No way would he have caught Rose's hit record. Even though he retired early, he still was 36 or so and he obviously didn't keep himself in good shape so he might've been able to play another 2 years or so. I couldn't see him playing at 40.

JustRalph
03-07-2006, 03:16 PM
No way would he have caught Rose's hit record. Even though he retired early, he still was 36 or so and he obviously didn't keep himself in good shape so he might've been able to play another 2 years or so. I couldn't see him playing at 40.

Good points..........too bad he never had the chance..........

JustRalph
03-07-2006, 03:19 PM
a simple way of UNDERSTANDING how a cerbrovascular accident would occur in a YOUNGER person. Should you not want enlightenment, that is your choice

You are joking right?

"that age, that bad it had to be a hemmorhagic vs. most which are emolic or thrombotic"

The line above is a simple way of understanding how this happen? You are nuts. How many people reading this thread actually felt that they now understand what happen to Kirby Puckett after reading the line above?

You are crazy doc! (read it again and think "bugs bunny")

46zilzal
03-07-2006, 03:30 PM
hemmorhage: bleeding CVA, usually quick and devastating
embolus: clot moving from another place CVA, usually in the elderly from heart arrhythmias or clots in the peripheral vascular system
thrombus: CLOT formed locally CVA slower in evolution

The very first autopsy I attended was the first type and the damage was horrible like a hot knife through butter.

toetoe
03-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Before the push for canonization begins, can someone clear up whether he really beat the s#@t out of a woman and dragged her around by her hair? I don't personally hold that as evidence that he's evil, but nor do I want testimonials to his saintliness from people that can't know. Remember, we're dealing with Homo Baseballicus, the closest species to Cro Magnon surviving on the planet. Can't we treat our gladiators like Spartacus, just without the crucifixion?

46zilzal
03-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Before the push for canonization begins, can someone clear up whether he really beat the s#@t out of a woman and dragged her around by her hair? I don't personally hold that as evidence that he's evil, but nor do I want testimonials to his saintliness from people that can't know. Remember, we're dealing with Homo Baseballicus, the closest species to Cro Magnon surviving on the planet. Can't we treat our gladiators like Spartacus, just without the crucifixion?
ESPN radio had a LONG review of just that this A.M.

kingfin66
03-08-2006, 12:15 AM
Before the push for canonization begins, can someone clear up whether he really beat the s#@t out of a woman and dragged her around by her hair?

I suppose it was inevitable that this would come up. He was acquitted of the accusations you mentioned. He also was divorced from his wife after allegedly having an affair with a woman throughout his playing career. Then there was the Sports Illustrated - Frank Deford - butcher job a few years ago. Was the guy perfect? No? Did he have some flaws? Oh yeah. I think most fans of his appreciated how he conducted himself when he played the game and how he treated the fans. To me, I loved him as a player but never held him out as a hero. Heck, he was only 5 years older than me. His off the field problems will never change what I thought of him as a player.

The Judge
03-08-2006, 12:37 AM
So sorry to hear about Kirby I gald that he has money at least that's one thing his family doesn't have to worry about . It been a bad month and its only the 7th lots of deaths of notibles.

My daughters boyfriend was shot over the weekend at a party just around the corner from our house 3 young people were shot. His name is Angelo Richardson some say he was the best Junior College (Santa Rosa)wide receiver in the nation he was an All American and was to go to Arizona State. He was a pro- prospect he is now paralyzed from the waist down. He was just at the party and he gets shot. The best JC player that I ever saw play was O.J Simpson I was at City College of San Francisco when he played I saw him run 6 touchdowns in one game. Angelo was the second most exciting JC player I've ever seen,he was a close 2nd, when he caught the ball that was just the start of the show then he put on moves that are rarely seen. NO more. I have live in the Fillmore all my life I think its time to move.

shanta
03-08-2006, 09:12 AM
So sorry to hear about Kirby I gald that he has money at least that's one thing his family doesn't have to worry about . It been a bad month and its only the 7th lots of deaths of notibles.

My daughters boyfriend was shot over the weekend at a party just around the corner from our house 3 young people were shot. His name is Angelo Richardson some say he was the best Junior College (Santa Rosa)wide receiver in the nation he was an All American and was to go to Arizona State. He was a pro- prospect he is now paralyzed from the waist down. He was just at the party and he gets shot. The best JC player that I ever saw play was O.J Simpson I was at City College of San Francisco when he played I saw him run 6 touchdowns in one game. Angelo was the second most exciting JC player I've ever seen,he was a close 2nd, when he caught the ball that was just the start of the show then he put on moves that are rarely seen. NO more. I have live in the Fillmore all my life I think its time to move.

Very sorry to hear about the young man. Here is to hoping that he can re focus his goals and find fulfillment taking another path.

stay safe,
Richie