PDA

View Full Version : What Method Do you Use to watch Racing at Home??

sq764
07-21-2002, 12:50 PM
I currently use Dishnetwork to watch racing at home. I watch TVG, but they just plain suck. The announcers are clueless, and they are more worried about talking that showing races.

I also have DSL and can watch the races online, but its a pain to be in the computer room and watch a small screen.

I wanted a satellite or cable alternative and if I didn't have to, I really wanted to forgoe the RTN route, as I think $100 a month is a joke.

Anyone in the US (specifically the Mid-Atlantic Region) have any other methods or ideas??

Bob Harris
07-21-2002, 03:41 PM
SQ,

I just watch the races on the computer but I agree it's a pain. During the summer when my kids are out of school, my 7yo Robbie is more than happy to watch the screen for a couple of bucks. I mark off my potential bets with minimum acceptable odds for him and he does the rest.

Trust me, there's nothing like a 7yo screaming "Daddy, it's 3 minutes to post and the 4 just went to 6-1" to get a really nasty look from the wife.

Bob

rrbauer
07-21-2002, 03:46 PM
SQ-
YouBet offers streaming video of the complete simulcast feed for selected tracks. It's not bad on DSL, although not as good as the SA or GP streams from those tracks' web sites. At least you get to see and follow the horses without getting jacked around to five other tracks, ala TVG.

The TVG coverage at HOL has been good this year, particularly for the 2-hour segment when Fox Sports is using their feed. (BTW they use the Fox production facility in Santa Monica for their telecasts.)

I'm hoping that DMR will continue to offer a video stream from their web site this year, even though TVG carries their races. It's the same feed that the simulcast sites get.

Philly Park PhoneBet offers limited streaming video coverage. Usually just the post parade and the running of the race.

I guess that TVG is going to start offering video streams from their web site. Could be that it will be the same feed that we get on Dish, which is mostly useless, except as noted. Their deal with Adelphia hasn't yielded them much as far as new cable customers; plus, Adelphia is tottering on the edge of collapse.

sq764
07-21-2002, 06:11 PM
I also use Oneclick and Penn National for online simulcasting, both with pretty good quality..

But nothing like seeing a live feed on tv.. I do miss when TRN would have no announcers and live feeds only.

I have considered getting the TRN Canada, but by the time you watch your first race, it soulds like you have shelled out $3-400...

ceejay
07-21-2002, 06:22 PM
I think that Youbet has the best on-line video. One key, IMO to easy video and on-line wagering and some other apps at the same time is to get a dual-monitor video system.

smf
07-21-2002, 08:03 PM
SQ,

I have the Can TRN signal and it didn't cost quite that much. Assuming you already have a 18" dish the initial payment is $199.

I didn't initially reply b/c the CAN TRN really may not satisfy you. They show PHA, DEL on mon, tues only. MJC gets only sporadic coverage and I am certain that won't cut it for you.

I don't blame you for not tossing $100 a month at philly park and magna. Their track record with satellite tv deals to the public stinks.

Good luck.

sq764
07-21-2002, 09:06 PM
Hmm, I am just going to have to start my own service, for the little guys.. $35 a month, 8 channels, includes all tracks that want in..

David McKenzie
07-22-2002, 10:17 AM
//Trust me, there's nothing like a 7yo screaming "Daddy, it's 3 minutes to post and the 4 just went to 6-1" to get a really nasty look from the wife.//

Bob, remind me never to read your posts while drinking coffee!

Lefty
07-22-2002, 12:29 PM
Damn, I live in NV and getting tired of going to the racebook and can't find video feeds to watch trks I want. Right now the offshore acct I use I can bet but not watch trks like CRC, AP. ELP.
I was going to order a dish for TVG but is it really bad as you say? Don't care a whit about announcers just want to watch races I bet. Possible with TVG? Can't use youbet or anything else because of NV restrictions.

Bob Harris
07-22-2002, 01:09 PM
Lefty,

I'm using the Philadelphia Park Phonebet feed right now...they show CRC and AP but it may depend on the day. Below is their broadcast schedule for last weekend and the upcoming few days.

FRIDAY, JULY 19, 2002
Philadelphia Park 12:25
Monmouth 12:55
Woodbine* 12:55
Colonial* 1:00
Belmont 3:00
Arlington 4:00
Mountaineer 7:00
Penn National 7:20
Meadowlands 7:30
Evangeline 7:45
Suburban* 8:30
Hollywood* 10:00
- -
- -
- -
SATURDAY, JULY 20, 2002
Delaware 12:45
Belmont 1:00
Arlington* 2:00
Hollywood 4:15
Balmoral* 8:30

- -
- -
- -
SUNDAY, JULY 21, 2002
Belmont 1:00
Arlington* 2:00
Hollywood 4:15
Great Lakes 5:25
Ocean Downs 7:20
Balmoral 7:30
Pocono* 7:40
- -
- -
- -
- -
MONDAY, JULY 22, 2002
Calder 12:25
Thistledown 1:30
Colonial 4:00
Prairie Meadows 5:00
Great Lakes** 5:25
Northfield 7:00
Yonkers* 7:40
- -
- -
- -
TUESDAY, JULY 23, 2002
Calder 12:25
River 1:05
Colonial 4:00
Prairie Meadows 5:00
Great Lakes* 5:25
Yonkers* 7:40
- -
- -
- -
- -
WEDNESDAY, JULY 24, 2002
Saratoga 1:00
Rockingham* 1:00
Arlington 2:00
Santa Rosa** 3:45
Del Mar 5:00
Northfield 7:00
Charles Town 7:15
- -
- -
- -
THURSDAY, JULY 25, 2002
Saratoga 1:00
Laurel* 1:05
Arlington 2:00
Santa Rosa** 3:45
Louisiana* 4:00
Del Mar 5:00
Balmoral* 8:40

ranchwest
07-22-2002, 01:18 PM
The bad thing about TVG is that they get hung up on certain tracks and ignore all others. If they can do NYRA and So Cal, then they really don't care whether anyone else is going or not. For the other tracks, they'll show the stretch call on tape delay or just show the results. You never know what you're going to get. Sometimes it is 10 minutes to post at a major track and they'll tell you that they're going to stay there. They have about 1 or 2 minutes of commentary during that time, while several races may go off at other tracks. Frustrating.

tdthomas
07-22-2002, 04:49 PM
I watch the races on my pc. I get streaming video from youbet, xpressbet, penn or the tracks' website.

JustRalph
07-22-2002, 08:23 PM
This page has links to video feeds that sometimes change hourly.
I think it is managed by Penn National

http://www.pngaming.com/cgi-bin/showme.cgi

Lefty
07-22-2002, 09:08 PM
Hey, guys thanks for responses, appreciate it. I didn,t initiate the thread but you guys are a big help.
Wife still wants the dish for crappy movies and hey I can watch Fox News and Espn.

GameTheory
07-22-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Lefty
Hey, guys thanks for responses, appreciate it. I didn,t initiate the thread but you guys are a big help.
Wife still wants the dish for crappy movies and hey I can watch Fox News and Espn.

What does she want for the good movies?

sq764
07-22-2002, 11:07 PM
Do you guys think that a TRN-type service will ever resurface? One that offers a few channels of both harness and t-breds and is priced under like $40 a month??

ceejay
07-23-2002, 11:34 AM
What I don't understand, is why tracks don't make it easier for their customers to spend money "at the windows." Easy access to video signal is part of that.

Lefty
07-23-2002, 12:25 PM
We watch the good movies on the rerun channels; they were all made yrs ago, IMO movies today, for most part, plain bad.
When a movie like American Beauty can win Academy Award says it all.

GR1@HTR
07-23-2002, 01:26 PM
TVG is greatness....for what it is...Anytime you can get free live video, I'll take it. Plus you put the lovely Assie Shelia on there and have her babble about anything is ok with me. But Exactor Man has to go. That guy is one spare white stiff...

ranchwest
07-23-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by GR1
TVG is greatness....for what it is...Anytime you can get free live video, I'll take it. Plus you put the lovely Assie Shelia on there and have her babble about anything is ok with me. But Exactor Man has to go. That guy is one spare white stiff...

I agree that when TVG is considered as part of the Dish Network package, it is a great deal. I love it. My negative comments earlier were to let everyone know that you can't depend on seeing particular races. As for the announcers, that's what the mute is for, you can listen or not. As you say, some are worth listening to and some are not.

GR1@HTR
07-23-2002, 03:28 PM
Yeah, from a handicapping standpoint, the all are very basic. Except for the ex jockey/current drunk Corey Black (is he still on the air?) and the ex trainer from the land of potatoes. But a couple of them are ok entertainers.

Tom
07-23-2002, 07:08 PM
I just don't see why they think anyone has to annonce anything about a horse race? Give the scratches, the changes, the post time, then shut up. It is like FM radio...could be real great-if they fired all the brainless pot-head annoucers who offer nothing.
You don''t even need a tack annouer for the race call. Anyone heat the Delaware sttakes rae this weekend? That announcer was patheric! Hope he was drunk and just not stupid!
What a total botch of a race call. Like Charlsie Cantey - WHY???

BillW
07-23-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by GR1
Yeah, from a handicapping standpoint, the all are very basic. Except for the ex jockey/current drunk Corey Black (is he still on the air?) and the ex trainer from the land of potatoes. But a couple of them are ok entertainers.

GR1,

Black isn't on much anymore, but C.C.Perkinson has been a nice addition (she doesn't get enough camera time though :))

I thing the problem is, TVG is playing up to the non-converted by offering an alternative to the slot machine. That goal is not consistant with offering good coverage for the handicapper (and probably not consistant with offering it for free:rolleyes: )

Bill

sq764
07-23-2002, 10:38 PM
Corey Black has fallen off too many horses, he has no clue whatsoever.. Exactorman is horrendous, he throws 5 horses on top of the other 5 in exactas.. nice theory..

The only person I listen to (or look at) is Preciala Hojiwala

JustRalph
07-23-2002, 11:01 PM
Frank Lyons is good. Every once in a while he will give you a very hot tip, if you listen-between the lines. He knows a bunch of trainers. He had a horse win the Breeders Cup Juvy about 5 years back, I think. He is also the funniest guy on the network.

The reason they announce or talk about races is so that they can pad their accounts. They love to give tips and encourage "new users" to sign up. Thats the only reason they talk like they do. Sometimes I leave it on mute. Depending on who is the current talking head......