PDA

View Full Version : Things that irk me...

Cesario!
03-03-2006, 03:04 PM
...about fellow horseplayers.*

1. People who constantly complain that the race is rigged, i.e. "they're going to put one over here to make the Pick 3 worthwhile." These are the same people who believe in large scale conspiracies, rigged poker sites (oh, that runner/runner is a poker.com specialty), and ruling class ideologies. Collective action problems combined with accepted variances, people!

2. People who tout there success without reference to ROI's. It should be a rule of the "horseracing academy" that you need to include ROI's if you want to brag how great you're doing. Like certain websites that highlight the trifectas and Pick 3's won -- assuming of course that you play EVERY pick 3 and EVERY trifecta at EVERY track...and then scoff at the idea of publishing ROI's because it might reduce their mythic, vague-like, demagoguery.

Ok, that's enough for now. WHAT ARE YOURS?

And if one of them is people who post online about things that annoying things, I'll be thrilled. :cool:

*(note: not necessarily, but including, handicappers)

twindouble
03-03-2006, 03:50 PM
2. People who tout there success without reference to ROI's. It should be a rule of the "horseracing academy" that you need to include ROI's if you want to brag how great you're doing. Like certain websites that highlight the trifectas and Pick 3's won -- assuming of course that you play EVERY pick 3 and EVERY trifecta at EVERY track...and then scoff at the idea of publishing ROI's because it might reduce their mythic, vague-like, demagoguery.

Ok, that's enough for now. WHAT ARE YOURS? Quote Cesario

No one is obliged to publish their financial condition on the Internet, there's good reason not to do that. You don't have to believe everything that's said here, just take what you think is good advise if it makes sense to you. Better yet, add some yourself.

I never kept track of what I was doing at the track, I just went by how healthy my bankroll was, that was even after I celebrated when I scored. What I spent having a good time and enjoying what I was doing was just an added benefit of playing the horses. I never left the track with an empty pocket on my worst loosing days. Sure there was times when I had to replenish the bankroll but so what, you can't win them all as we say. Just food for thought, I don't know anyone that has consistantly lost playing the horses for years and was able to stayed married. Unless of course he had a money pit with no bottom.

T.D.

skate
03-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Cesario;

to me, what i see, it has been mostly a case of people not bragging.

but to address the web sites, i ask myself, why bother?

" news programs", comes to mind, why bother? as a mater of fact, why bother with TV altogether?
and thank god for the ponys.

just me
skate

OTM Al
03-03-2006, 04:04 PM
People who pick their bets at the window, especially when they are making about 20 of them for $1 base each.

skate
03-03-2006, 04:15 PM
oh OTM;

with 2 people in front of me and over 4 minutes (not even started to put them in the gate), i had $5.00 to my name on a saturday in vegas.

i wanted the one over the 3/4, 3/4 race went off and i still had 2 people in front of me, the race was beautiful, come 1/4/3, pays $575.00.

dav4463
03-03-2006, 04:19 PM
People who scream and jump around when they win and run around showing everyone their winning ticket like they've never won before! Exception: If you hit one for 5 figures or more, you can jump around all you like!

twindouble
03-03-2006, 04:26 PM
People who scream and jump around when they win and run around showing everyone their winning ticket like they've never won before! Exception: If you hit one for 5 figures or more, you can jump around all you like!

People that don't appreciate other people having a good time. lighten up dave.:D

the little guy
03-03-2006, 04:37 PM
People who pick their bets at the window, especially when they are making about 20 of them for $1 base each.

I'm with you.

You must love Saratoga.

GMB@BP
03-03-2006, 04:50 PM
people who come onto internet chat rooms and

a) claim to be making huge profits and "know" the secret to beating the game
b) make claims based on opinion and state them like they are facts.

sjk
03-03-2006, 04:58 PM

Are we allowed to scream and jump around if we are betting at home and there are no witnesses?

Cashing the withdrawal checks is nice but the real fun in this pastime is catching a winner.

Bala
03-03-2006, 05:33 PM
People who insist on looking over your shoulder to glance at your Racing Form
and then ask -- how does that 3-5 fav. look in your paper. :bang:

The moment you hit a big score -- the OTB drunk has to borrow a dollar for his
sure thing exacta.

michiken
03-03-2006, 06:58 PM
There is one loser at the track that I go to who always asks to borrow money.

The last time I happen to see him was at Christmas. I was up in the betting and bought him lunch because he had not eaten in 3 days and just lost his last dime.

And I thought I was a DEGENERATE... :eek:

kenwoodallpromos
03-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Connections that bring horses back too soon or race them too much after an injury.

Hammerhead
03-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Any race I lose is abasalutly rigged and crooked. Otherwise I would win.
Impossable to be my cappin. :bang: :lol:

SAL
03-03-2006, 08:09 PM
People that have no problems betting $50 to win and place on a horse, but are too cheap to buy a racing form and keep borrowing yours.

Also, people that say "I liked that horse!" after a longshot wins but of course, he didn't bet it.

stlseeeek
03-03-2006, 08:45 PM
the lowlifes who have no $$, yet are at the track eevryday, begging for money, running errands for a $1 exacta box on the favs! And get mouthy when you don't offer them a nickle.

the kicker is, when you have a nice priced horse on the lead, and this guy is yelling for the faovrite, and he has NOTHING on the horse to win.

or when a guy is yelling for 6 horses, claims he has the exacta and winner, yet doesn't cash 1 ticket, he's inline wanting a $1 exacta box on a 1/5 and a 1/1 horse at freehold!

BIG RED
03-03-2006, 08:46 PM
The question

Things that irk me

When she said yea but meant no :mad:

Know that 1st line to much SAL

twindouble
03-03-2006, 09:22 PM
People that have no problems betting $50 to win and place on a horse, but are too cheap to buy a racing form and keep borrowing yours.

Also, people that say "I liked that horse!" after a longshot wins but of course, he didn't bet it.

One guy drove me right out of OTB, the sucker would start calling a number while they were entering the gate the repete it over and over as the race went on at to top of his lungs :mad:. Then the sucker would change numbers mid stretch in the drive. :lol: :lol: :lol: .

PaceAdvantage
03-03-2006, 10:09 PM
People who start threads titled "Things that irk me...."

(JUST KIDDING! I had to go for the cheap laugh....I couldn't resist!)

Tom
03-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Board moderators who go for cheap laughs!:lol:

JUST KIDDING!!!! :eek: