PDA

View Full Version : Arroyo Blasts Stewards

aaron
03-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Norberto Arroyo blasted the strewards for taking him down on Wednrsday.
Its about time someone publically criticized these incompetent judges.
They have been out to get Arroyo for quite some time,even though his race riding has improved the last 2 years,which is more than I can say for the stewards in NY.

Figman
03-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Why is Arroyo more believable and have better judgement than all three stewards? And might there be "bad blood" between Coa and Arroyo?

The trainer (former jockey Mike Miceli) of the horse taken down stated he agreed with the steward's decision. Prominent owner Sandy Goldfarb also agreed with the stewards decision as did Lee Tomlinson, who invented the Tomlinson ratings in the Racing Form, who was at the track on the day in question. Tomlinson's statement is out there for all to see on another " Derby" Board.

TravisVOX
03-02-2006, 10:20 PM
There will never be a stewards decision that pleases everybody.

aaron
03-03-2006, 08:15 AM
The problem with the stewards is not whether this call was correct or wasn't correct.The problem with the stewards in NY is their lack of consistency.I've seen instances where similar actions occur on the same day where one comes down,and one doesn't even get a call.
The stewards in NY should be graded and taken to task for their basic incompetance.
Also,if its true that Arroyo was told not to voice his opinion on the incident,there should be a fine or suspension given to the steward or race track executive who issued that order.
I didn't have any monetary involvement in the race and thought the call could go either way,but I was pretty sure with Arroyo being involved the horse was coming down.
Another question if you watch racing,why would you care what an owner,trainer,or Tomlinson says ? Watch the replay and form your own opinion.

Figman
03-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Aaron,
I was pointing out that your opinion was not not necessarily shared by some other experienced people including the trainer of the horse that was taken down. All incidents are not "cookie cutter" happenings. Each one must be judged singularly.

aaron
03-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Figman,
I agree that all incidents are not "cookie cutter." I don't recall saying whether the horse should or should not be taken down.I was saying that the stewards should be be criticized and have to explain their calls.I also believe for whatever reasons they are particularly tough on Arroyo,who in the past had a history of rough riding,but who in my opinion has made considerable strides in improving his riding skills.
After viewing the race,do you think the 2nd place finisher would have beat the winner if the race was run without the incident ? At the point the incident occurred I thought the 2nd place horse would not have beat the winner,but I concede Arroyo's horse may have interferred,ever so slightly.I have seen horses stay up and come down with this scenario.It should be one way the other.Not some times they stay and sometimes they come down.

twindouble
03-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Figman,
I agree that all incidents are not "cookie cutter." I don't recall saying whether the horse should or should not be taken down.I was saying that the stewards should be be criticized and have to explain their calls.I also believe for whatever reasons they are particularly tough on Arroyo,who in the past had a history of rough riding,but who in my opinion has made considerable strides in improving his riding skills.
After viewing the race,do you think the 2nd place finisher would have beat the winner if the race was run without the incident ? At the point the incident occurred I thought the 2nd place horse would not have beat the winner,but I concede Arroyo's horse may have interferred,ever so slightly.I have seen horses stay up and come down with this scenario.It should be one way the other.Not some times they stay and sometimes they come down.

All I can say is this, one day I got beat in the pick 6 on a ligit dq mega bucks to me, on another day I took down the whole pool when the moved my bomb up for the win. That dq more than likely wouldn't have happened at aother track, as matter of fact I was suprised they took the winner down. That's just two examples and there's many.

T.D.

GeTydOn
03-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Yep. All incidents need to be judged on their own. People keep moaning about diffferent judgements in similar cases. Could the problem in this case have been that just before the "incident" Arroyo checked over his shoulder. No way he couldn't have seen that other horse on the rail after looking.

DrugSalvastore
03-04-2006, 12:00 AM
FWIW, I saw the race in question and agree with Aaron.

I thought it was a great peice of race-riding by Arroyo---borderline brilliant. He did a masterful job pinning the heavy favorite, and rode as aggressive as humanly possible---WITHOUT crossing the line and doing enough to merit a DQ.

Basically--the stewards, Lee Tomlinson, the horses trainer, and Goldfarb (who owned the winner) are obviously all wrong on this.

Go back to the Saratoga meeting---and watch the race with Smokey Glacken beating Schedule. It was almost a carbon copy of this race---JRV (aboard Smokey Glacken) actually came a hell of a lot closer to crossing the line than Arroyo did.

Now--John Velazquez is a little better rider than Arroyo (or anyone else) but that doesn't mean he should be allowed to get away with stuff that other guys can't. I invite anyone to watch the head-on replays of the Smokey Glacken race and the Arroyo race---and tell me if the NYRA stewards are consistant.

It wasn't a Bad DQ for the ages---like the one at Saratoga a few years ago involving a Kimmel horse named Silver Squire. But the fact that this happend only a few months after the Smokey Glacken no takedown--just highlights the inconsistancy that the stewards are showing in NY,

Friday night at midnight, and I'm rambling on about a DQ in a race I didn't bet, at a meet I didn't play...hard as we may try, some things never seem to change.

PIC6SIX
03-04-2006, 03:55 AM
I agree with Aaron. The stewards in NY are inconsistent. Tod PLetcher even said so about 12 months ago in the racing form.

About 2-4 months ago I recall an incident where Coe pulled a snow job during a stretch drive and the stewards bought it. Similar situation a few races later and Migliore was taken down. JR. was awarded the win, erroneously I must say

It is a shame that jockeys risk their life every race to earn a living and the (NEW YORK) stewards do whatever they like.

Another case in point: Some years ago at Saratoga Julie Krone gets thrown in the bushes during the stretch drive in a turf race. After about 30 minutes the stewards put up their decision. About 10-30 days latter they say they made a mistake and re-distribute the purse money. I remember one New Yorker tell me that if that happened at Aqueduct they would have torn the grandstand down.

All I can say is it must be great to have POWER.

linrom1
03-04-2006, 08:34 AM
This begs the question, why is Arroyo even allowed to race in the first place.

Figman
03-04-2006, 09:41 AM
The NYRA stewards in NY are not the same group as in POWER and involved when all these older incidents that you guys are dredging up occurred.
Or are you complaining just because it is NY?

http://handicapping.bloodhorse.com/index.asp?source=http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/article.cgi%3Fid=1920%26print=true%26header=bh

aaron
03-04-2006, 10:12 AM
I don't see any improvement in their overall performance. I am aware of the retirement of Dave Hicks.I just don't see any consistency,maybe its just me.

crackers@NOLA
03-05-2006, 10:11 AM
He purposely came over on Coa and deserved to come down, he has always been a agressive rider. Did anyone see the DQ on Fri at SA IN THE 5TH probably the worse call I have ever seen, its was ironic to see them put up PatV of all people. :mad:

aaron
03-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Crackers-
If you watch the race,Coa put himself in a position,he shouldn't have been in,and in my opinion was simply out ridden by Arroyo.
By the way if the take you down for looking back,they better take Angel Cordero out of the Hall of Fame.

aaron
03-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Daily Racing Form-
Letters to the Editor has a good response to "Arroyo Blasts Stewards".

Bruddah
03-05-2006, 12:00 PM
I no longer play NYRA tracks because of bad Steward decisions. They made one too many questionable decisions, which I was a part of. Add the fact, of all their scandals and I decided to bet elsewhere, or not at all. I can't say, I have regretted my decision, nor have they missed my $2 worth. I haven't written NYRA off, I have kissed them off. :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: