PDA

View Full Version : is ALEX SOLIS a HALL OF FAME rider?

blind squirrel
03-01-2006, 07:55 PM
NOMINATED TO HALL OF FAME.

1 PREAKNESS{SNOW CHEIF?}
3 BREEDERS CUP RACES{KONA GOLD ended his BREEDERS CUP DROUGHT}
NO KY DERBY.{CAPT BODGIT couldn't quite get by SILVER CHARM}

I SAY NO....what say you?{sorry O'REILLY}

BIG RED
03-01-2006, 08:07 PM
I say yes, because he's a half brother to Afleet ALEX :D

blind squirrel
03-01-2006, 08:21 PM
I say yes, because he's a half brother to Afleet ALEX :D

he didn't win the derby either!

BIG RED
03-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Very good. I see you find a nut every now and then :)

kenwoodallpromos
03-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Ask Walden, Stevens, and VG!

Valuist
03-02-2006, 12:52 PM
According to Chris McCarron, Solis is one of the premier "up and coming riders." The other? None of than that raw newbie Edgar Prado. Solis has been riding for at least 20 years. Maybe Chris is stuck back in the late 80s.

Murph
03-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Ask Walden, Stevens, and VG!

Man those were some of the most exciting finishes I can remember in the TC!

I remember feelin' "bellyshot" after the Preakness, but man, what a Belmont!

Solis can make his HOF mark in the next few seasons. I don't put him in this year.

Murph

delayjf
03-02-2006, 03:56 PM
I would agree that he has not had the national impact that McCarron or Stevens. But his riding ability is second to none, imho.

freehouse2002
03-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Solis is a very good rider. A few years ago, he was more prominent because he rode more races. He began being selective of his mounts a couple of years ago saying he wanted to ride more "quality" than "quantity." Even so, his win % has stayed at about 20%. At this point in his career, I don't know if he is HOF material yet, but I believe he will eventually make it.

freehouse2002

linrom1
03-02-2006, 07:37 PM
Solis is a very good rider. A few years ago, he was more prominent because he rode more races. He began being selective of his mounts a couple of years ago saying he wanted to ride more "quality" than "quantity." Even so, his win % has stayed at about 20%. At this point in his career, I don't know if he is HOF material yet, but I believe he will eventually make it.

freehouse2002

Ever since since his last injury Solis has been riding scared. He hasn't had a decent win in a long time. He didn't even have a mount in last year's BC. Who can forget his ride on Rock Hard Ten in the Belmont. No way this guy belongs in the Hall of Fame.

toetoe
03-02-2006, 08:52 PM
If he sticks around long enough, he almost has to go in. Major circuit, major horses, major trainers. AND he's a half-brother to Javier Solis.

delayjf
03-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Who can forget his ride on Rock Hard Ten in the Belmont. No way this guy belongs in the Hall of Fame.

I'd say that's a bit harsh, one bad ride and he's exempt. Even Jerry Bailey made mistakes ( Cigar, Pacific Classic). I can't comment on why he had no BC mounts, might have been injury related.

Hosshead
03-04-2006, 01:33 AM
I Tuned in, to the Santa Anita race replays tonight, and during a couple of races I was thinking -"What a great ride to finally get that win, who was that jockey" ? They flashed the jockey's name .
In each case, - It Was Solis ! :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
03-04-2006, 02:18 AM
Who can forget his ride on Rock Hard Ten in the Belmont. No way this guy belongs in the Hall of Fame.
come on, all the great ones have lapses. Alysheba with McCarron got suckered in his Belmont too. Day has been out of position at times with some very good animals and Laffit misjduged things a few times as well

46zilzal
03-04-2006, 02:20 AM
NOMINATED TO HALL OF FAME.

1 PREAKNESS{SNOW CHEIF?}
3 BREEDERS CUP RACES{KONA GOLD ended his BREEDERS CUP DROUGHT}
NO KY DERBY.{CAPT BODGIT couldn't quite get by SILVER CHARM}

I SAY NO....what say you?{sorry O'REILLY}
Russel Baze will get there on his body of work just like this guy

blind squirrel
03-04-2006, 03:53 AM
Russel Baze will get there on his body of work just like this guy

he's already "there".BAZE elected to HALL OF FAME in 99.

surfdog89
03-06-2006, 06:49 PM
I was in the stands at Del Mar with my Dad August 10..... Del Mar Classic.... when Cigar battles with Sipon neck and neck putting together fractions that no horse could withstand...... and left standing at the end of the 1 1/4 miles. ( A BAD MOVE BY BAILEY)... Sipon threw in the towel first but Cigar was spent too. Dare and Go ridden by Solis passed Cigar for the win....... I believe that would have been Cigar's 17th win. The crowd that day was a sea of tears and shock........ Cigar had been beaten............

surfdog89
03-06-2006, 07:09 PM
I was in the stands at Del Mar with my Dad August 10..... Del Mar Classic.... when Cigar battles with Sipon neck and neck putting together fractions that no horse could withstand...... and left standing at the end of the 1 1/4 miles. ( A BAD MOVE BY BAILEY)... Sipon threw in the towel first but Cigar was spent too. Dare and Go ridden by Solis passed Cigar for the win....... I believe that would have been Cigar's 17th win. The crowd that day was a sea of tears and shock........ Cigar had been beaten............ 1996 A day to remember.............. Citation and Cigar had 16 straight wins...