PDA

View Full Version : My great grandpa was a varmint hunter -- take that!

chickenhead
03-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Sorry to interrupt the political discourse...but have any of you gotten into figuring out your family tree on some of these Ancestry Websites?

I signed up for the free 14 day trial at Ancestry (I'm not gonna PAY for this stuff)...and someone had done all the work for me! There was my family tree taken all the way back to England.

But the funny thing I wanted to share, was looking at the 1920 census records, my great grandfather Frank Titus who I remember well, he was crazy as an old coot...lived in a trailer behind my grandparents house, drank a jug of wine a day, just sat out there with an old bent up fly swatter drinking booz and killing flies......in the 1920 census he is 19 years old, has his occupation listed as "Trapper -- Varmints". I just thought that was great. :lol:

My fathers family are immigrants from Italy in the 20's, not much American history there -- but my mothers side "Titus" came over in the early 1700's to MA and then through NY and IL. I also found a lot of black Titus's in the way back days, guess we was massas at one point.

Neat stuff, anyway. All this took me about 10 minutes.

GaryG
03-01-2006, 01:42 PM
I also found a lot of black Titus's in the way back days, guess we was massas at one point.Either that or somebody had one in the woodpile...:jump:

ljb
03-01-2006, 03:40 PM
National Geographic has a site where you can send in a dna sample and it will trace you back to the original man. In Africa. Yepper they say we are ALL decendants of one dude in Africa, bet that tickles some.

Tom
03-01-2006, 06:45 PM
National Geographic has a site where you can send in a dna sample and it will trace you back to the original man. In Africa. Yepper they say we are ALL decendants of one dude in Africa, bet that tickles some.

Ah, but how many dudettes?

And come to think of it, where did his mate come from?

Hosshead
03-01-2006, 09:16 PM
National Geographic has a site where you can send in a dna sample and it will trace you back to the original man. In Africa. Yepper they say we are ALL decendants of one dude in Africa, bet that tickles some.In case anyone's thinking about sending in a specimen:
That DNA sample deal they have going, will be on for a few years.
The longer you wait to send it in, - the better the results.

They start at the beginning, in Africa, and work towards the present. They trace your "family" movement (out of Africa) through countries/years, going towards the present.

But right now they can't get much closer (to today) than many thousands of years.

But if you wait long enough, they'll have enough DNA samples to trace everything closer to modern times.

Please pass me the bananas ! Thank you.

Tom
03-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Please pass me the bananas ! Thank you.

Can't you read???? We're OUT of bananas! Have been for quite a while!
:lol:

JustRalph
03-03-2006, 12:34 AM
It is kind of fun to look that stuff up. I found some info on where some of my relatives owned a huge portion of Manhattan for while...........they sold it because the place was getting "too crowded" and that is listed in the county document........oh yeah........for .25 and .45 an acre..........depending on the "quality of the ground" :D

Tom
03-03-2006, 12:47 AM
I have a great aunt who came across on the Mayflower! :rolleyes:

fergie
03-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Wow! JR If they had just hung on to that land today you could be Richer than God! Oh, for a good time machine, huh.Fergie

JustRalph
03-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Wow! JR If they had just hung on to that land today you could be Richer than God! Oh, for a good time machine, huh.Fergie

yeah, but they moved to Kentucky.......talk about taking a left turn on the old family tree...........:D

GaryG
03-03-2006, 04:58 PM
yeah, but they moved to Kentucky.......talk about taking a left turn on the old family tree...........:DYes, but look at this way: you are fortunate to have strong southern roots and values....you could have been a New Yawker. :jump:

JustRalph
03-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Yes, but look at this way: you are fortunate to have strong southern roots and values....you could have been a New Yawker. :jump:

But I went back to the well........... I married a New Yawker!