PDA

View Full Version : New to the Sport - Where to start?

2000_ls1
03-01-2006, 01:18 AM
I am 23 years old and my wife convinced me to go to the track on Saturday, Febuary 25th, 2006. We hit a Tri-fecta, ? spelling, for a little over $200 and I guess I am hooked now. What I would like to know is where I can get some of the info, how to read and understand it, what you guys would do from the start if you were starting this now?

Like I said I am very new to the sport, 1 time only, and I would like to dig a little deeper into it. I have always been into car racing, alot different from horses obviously.

What do you look for when betting?

I have done quite a bit of research and have found several web-sites that have pay-for tips. Are they worth it? They all say they are but...

Anything else I should know?

I saw Lawyer Ron run in the 10th race at Oaklawn Saturday, is he the one that was related to Smarty Jones or was it another horse in the same race? I heard the announcer say something about his brother running, ????, also about the trainer/rider/owner too. Just curious.

I am the type of guy who will research everything to death and know all of the angles, my wife says that's good for horse racing, so where do I start?

2000_ls1
03-01-2006, 01:22 AM
Oh, I will be attending Oaklawn Park in Hot Springs, AR if that makes a difference. And the web-site tip thing I was talking about is Backstretch Barney I think. Is that worth subscribing to? I think it was $75 for half of a season, March and April. I would be able to go the races 2 or 3 days a week. 1 weekday and 1 weekend day. I work at the railroad on call 24/7/365.

PaceAdvantage
03-01-2006, 01:29 AM
Here's a tip. In your first post or two, try not to mention a commercial venture. It will avoid all those nasty "you're just a shill" innuendos that are bound to crop up, plus it will add immediately to your "street cred" around here.....

2000_ls1
03-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Well, sorry I didn't know I will remove them asap. What is this v-cash?

2000_ls1
03-01-2006, 01:37 AM
Nevermind, won't let me edit now.

:bang:

PaceAdvantage
03-01-2006, 01:49 AM
You don't have to remove them...it was just a friendly reminder....

vCash is funny money...virtual cash....to be used at P.A. Downs....

Check out this thread:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26056

Suff
03-01-2006, 01:58 AM
We hit a Tri-fecta, ? spelling,Anything else I should know?

?

Yes.

It is a tri-Actor. Not a Trifecta, but a triactor.

Or a tifecta. Whatever brings in the money . I prefer triactor myself.

If You'd prefer something else, thats fine. But it may require a deposit.

mainardi
03-01-2006, 02:13 AM
I am 23 years old and my wife convinced me to go to the track on Saturday, Febuary 25th, 2006. We hit a Tri-fecta, ? spelling, for a little over $200 and I guess I am hooked now. What I would like to know is where I can get some of the info, how to read and understand it, what you guys would do from the start if you were starting this now?

Like I said I am very new to the sport, 1 time only, and I would like to dig a little deeper into it. I have always been into car racing, alot different from horses obviously.

What do you look for when betting?

I have done quite a bit of research and have found several web-sites that have pay-for tips. Are they worth it? They all say they are but...

Anything else I should know?

I saw Lawyer Ron run in the 10th race at Oaklawn Saturday, is he the one that was related to Smarty Jones or was it another horse in the same race? I heard the announcer say something about his brother running, ????, also about the trainer/rider/owner too. Just curious.

I am the type of guy who will research everything to death and know all of the angles, my wife says that's good for horse racing, so where do I start?
Wow, a wife that ENCOURAGES you to go to the races... you might want to get that in writing BEFORE you get into the sport. :)

Seriously, though... welcome to what I think of as the best betting proposition around -- of course, that's even true after you get over things like the "take" from the government and the track, the track "breakage" (rounding down) and such -- where you're betting directly against others (that's the "pari-mutuel" part).

There's a thread out in PA-land called "For beginners" (in the General Handicapping Discussion forum) that you will find interesting... and possibly useful.

One word of advice... be REAL careful with the "tips" sheets. There may be a few good ones, but that's the exception.

2000_ls1
03-01-2006, 02:50 AM
That's about what I had figured on the bet helpers. The wife was going and I would stay at home, I didn't think I would like it. I would always go car racing and she would go to the track. Now the car races are shut down until the end of March/early April and the car is fixed, I had nothing to do so I went. Well, one hit later...I am waiting in the line with the rest of them, lol.

I read the thread you were talking about, a bunch of terms used I am not familiar with. Is there a glossary somewhere for the terms used in Horse Racing? Thanks for the replys guys. I am trying my hand at the v-money too. We'll see how that goes.

Also, is there a PP guide that is free or are all them charging?

Light
03-01-2006, 02:54 AM
If you just want to make money,buy real estate or a business. If you enjoy horseracing,lose your expectations. The disicpline required to be successful is Buddhistic.

2000_ls1
03-01-2006, 02:55 AM
Another thing, I can't believe there are so many people on here at 2 am, is this normal for you guys? I may want to re-think this thing, lol. Seriously, are you guys already studying up on today's races?

PaceAdvantage
03-01-2006, 03:25 AM
In case you're wondering, posts were removed because they bored me and they had nothing to do with racing or handicapping. You wanna fight, take it to off-topic.

2000_ls1
03-01-2006, 03:28 AM
I wasn't trying to fight, I was asking a few questions and then he started that stuff. I'm not here to start a bunch of crap, just learn as much as I can from the guys on here with the experience. Thanks though.

finfan
03-01-2006, 03:30 AM
PA This thread is a great example of what goes on all too often here. Only a little over 2 hours old and most people are trying to help but the vocal minority offers nothing but negativity and BS. Perfect opportunity to moderate. (i.e. DELETE POSTS THAT FIT THOSE CRITERIA)

Go to the library section and find some books that are highly recommended. I learned from Mitchell and Quirin mostly, but there's a lot of good stuff out there.

P.S. PA You must have read my mind!! :)

Suff
That's about what I had figured on the bet helpers. ?

Raw handicappers? Your talking to one of the best in the world right here.

What can I do for you? ponys? yes...I eat um up.....

question 1......

question 2......

question 3......

Fire away

PaceAdvantage
I wasn't trying to fight, I was asking a few questions and then he started that stuff. I'm not here to start a bunch of crap, just learn as much as I can from the guys on here with the experience. Thanks though.

Nobody said you were trying to fight. As a matter of fact, my last post wasn't even specifically addressed to you, now was it?

PaceAdvantage
03-01-2006, 03:32 AM
PA This thread is a great example of what goes on all too often here. Only a little over 2 hours old and most people are trying to help but the vocal minority offers nothing but negativity and BS. Perfect opportunity to moderate. (i.e. DELETE POSTS THAT FIT THOSE CRITERIA)

Did you not read what I wrote? I did delete the posts. And I also said, GET BACK ON THE TOPIC OF HORSE RACING AND HANDICAPPING, NOT WHO IS BSing OR WHO IS FIGHTING WITH WHOM. In a minute the thread will be closed altogether....

Thanks for your cooperation.

finfan
03-01-2006, 03:37 AM
PA I was in the middle of writing my post when you moderated. Things happen fast around here at 3:30am.

2000_ls1
03-01-2006, 03:38 AM
Please do not close the thread.

Anyone else have any advice for a newbie other than what the beginner thread had? What about the Past Performances? Where can I find this and how much is it? The past performances is where most of the information I need is isn't it?

Suff
03-01-2006, 03:38 AM
you guys are kidding me right?

Negativity? This is a guy who has ,,,, forget it.

Go on with your silly selfs.:rolleyes:

Suff
03-01-2006, 03:39 AM

Pretty sharp for a guy with 15 minutes of membership and 11 posts.

From shy to................."I'm here" ....inside of a NY minute.

Your call mike.

Suff
03-01-2006, 03:41 AM

Anyone else have any advice for a newbie other than what the beginner thread had? What about the Past Performances? Where can I find this and how much is it? The past performances is where most of the information I need is isn't it?

send me your e-mail,,,,,I'll send you 16 cards for saturday.

PaceAdvantage
03-01-2006, 03:45 AM

There is a wonderful tool on this board called the SEARCH function. You can start by clicking SEARCH and going through the archives, which stretch back a number of years....

I suggest you go into lurker mode and read whatever interesting posts you find. Then, when you have questions, bring them up in whatever threads you find...you don't have to start new threads asking people for such general advice.

As for past performances, go to GOOGLE and type in the phrase "horse racing past performances"

Now I will close this thread because it is going nowhere and I need to catch a few hours of sleep....