PDA

View Full Version : Bandini

classhandicapper
02-27-2006, 04:19 PM
I just did some WO searches for some of leading horses from last year to see who is getting close to a race. It appears Bandini is set to go. He's been working very regularly since December and is up to 6F. I'd expect to see him in the entries at GP very soon. It will be interesting to see how he comes back because I thought he was extremely promising until his debacle in the Derby where he got hurt.

OTM Al
02-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Is Wednesday soon enough for you?

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=32343

To be frank, I never liked him as much as many, but I do hope he comes back strong as it would help a somewhat weak older male division.

classhandicapper
02-27-2006, 05:37 PM
That was quick. ;)

I don't think he ran a really top notch race before he went down, but he was moving forward rapidly and was well ahead of Flower Alley (also Pletcher) at the time. Knowing how Pletcher develops horses, it was a shame to see him get hurt.

This doesn't even look like the easiet spot for a return when it's almost 100% he won't be 100%.

Wanderin Boy was also very promising before he went down last year and has a race under his belt. He could be sitting on a big race.

Siver Wagon can't beat the best horses and has a little "hang" in him, but this is much easier than what he was chasing last year.

There are a couple of other lightly raced types that could move forward.

classhandicapper
03-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Pretty good return. Now we'll see if he develops further.

BIG RED
03-01-2006, 04:54 PM
$5 win not bad if you were high on him.

BIG49010
03-01-2006, 05:02 PM
WOW What a race!!! No wonder I bet him in the derby, too bad much better price in that spot.

Valuist
03-01-2006, 05:35 PM
He actually was +160 in the matchups against the money burning Silver Wagon.

BTW, I remember a debate about Silver Wagon's fig last year in the Met; actually it was really about Ghostzapper's fig in the Met Mile but looking at Silver Wagon's pps, I have a hard time believing he ran a 110 that day and got beat by 6 lengths.

the little guy
03-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Wow! A Pletcher horse running a huge race off a layoff. Never seen that before.

BIG RED
03-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Wow! A Pletcher horse running a huge race off a layoff. Never seen that before.

Valuist, the key to me, what you said, " I remember.....", no pun intended. You can have all the stats and figures you want. It's that human aspect that sometimes can kick but. The reason I mention this is because I had the Derby winner last year, G, as a longshot play. It's actually here somewhere, I did post it, but why? Because 'I remembered' how good he looked in the SA Derby. He finished strong, and left an impression in my mind.

classhandicapper
03-01-2006, 06:53 PM
He actually was +160 in the matchups against the money burning Silver Wagon.

BTW, I remember a debate about Silver Wagon's fig last year in the Met; actually it was really about Ghostzapper's fig in the Met Mile but looking at Silver Wagon's pps, I have a hard time believing he ran a 110 that day and got beat by 6 lengths.

Yes, I remember that debate also.

I believe CJ and I both thought that figure was suspect and I'm pretty sure I got trashed on the TG board for even raising that possibility.

If he was +160 in the heads up matchups against that money burner, I'm going to have to start spending more time looking at those. Any insights/strategies to offer?

BIG49010
03-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Anybody know what his injury was?

Ron
03-01-2006, 11:30 PM
He had a small chip in his right front ankle.

Valuist
03-02-2006, 12:52 AM
CH-

A couple things to keep in mind on the matchups. I try to look to the underdog first; I will play small favorites, but like in baseball betting I don't like laying heavier than -140 on a favorite. Also if you have an opinion early, bet it early because there are substantial line moves on the matchups. I notice Pinny will often pit 2 horses who faced each other last time out; having seen their trips is very important.

The only reason I can think of why Bandini was that price was because some may have figured he would be all or nothing; either win or off the board whereas Silver Wagon had the look of a horse who's usually close (although rarely wins).

The jury is back w/their decision; Yes, Ghostzapper's Beyer for the Met Mile was at least 6 points too high.

BIG49010
03-02-2006, 08:27 AM
Best speed figure I have given out at the current meeting, and he looked good doing it. He should be a force in the Handicap Division if he stays sound.

TravisVOX
03-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Pletcher seemed a bit hesitant that the effort was perhaps too much off the layoff, he wanted to stalk the pace more. Let's hope the horse can move forward from here.

Bandini and Flower Alley...yikes!

OTM Al
03-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Another one from last year's TC trail came back Sunday as well to a lot less fanfare. Noble Causeway won a NW2X at GP, though it doesn't appear to have been in a great time. I thought he would have a chance going long in the Belmont, but he never got there and he probably wouldn't have gotten close to Alex in the end anyway. Hoping he too may have something to justify the hype he was given. Would love to see a strong handicap division this year.

Ron
03-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Well, Noble Causeway is a little bit different case because its not his first start since the Triple Crown -- he didn't look good in Saratoga. Bandini hasn't started since the Derby. So I wouldn't call it a comeback.

Valuist
03-06-2006, 04:05 PM
He ran a couple weeks ago at Gulfstream; second behind Its No Joke. Didn't see his race yesterday but I know there was no speed at all in that race.

Valuist
04-06-2006, 12:12 PM
I just heard on one of the racing shows that the guy said Bandini is the top older horse in America. Talk about over-hype. How ridiculous. He was absolute lone speed in his last time out over very shaky opposition. Brass Hat would kick his teeth in right now.

the little guy
04-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Bandini's return was mediocre, especially the way Pletcher's returnees routinely run explosive ( and inexplicable ) races, and his win this past weekend was embarrassingly bad. This is a horse who has been overhyped his whole career, with little accomplishments, and will face the reality of his limited ability very soon...should he not be prematurely retired.

Simply said....he aint much.

classhandicapper
04-06-2006, 02:47 PM
I just heard on one of the racing shows that the guy said Bandini is the top older horse in America. Talk about over-hype. How ridiculous. He was absolute lone speed in his last time out over very shaky opposition. Brass Hat would kick his teeth in right now.

At this point I think he is no better than he was as 3. Of course being this good in the Spring of your 3YO campaign is pretty darn good if you assume the typical development with maturity, but I don't see it yet.

He looks like a "bet against" as soon as he hooks up with a top older horse (though I would have to admit I am not particularly impressed by the older horses yet). I would say Brass Hat and Lava Man are the two best "so far".

Valuist
04-06-2006, 03:07 PM
I would have to agree on those two. If Badge of Silver is still in training, I think you'd have to put him up there as well. And the Zito horse who dueled :45 and 1:09 in the Donn....I think it was Pies Prospect. I think he didn't totally fall apart after those fractions.

cnollfan
04-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Agree on Bandini's recent race being weak. Easy lead in paceless race that compromised the chances of Noble Causeway, all out to hang on.

At this point I would take Funny Cide heads up over Bandini.

classhandicapper
04-07-2006, 10:01 AM

Let's not get carried away. ;)

the_fat_man
04-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Agree on Bandini's recent race being weak. Easy lead in paceless race that compromised the chances of Noble Causeway, all out to hang on.

Exactly correct: Noble Causeway was compromised.

I'm saving all my money for when he runs back.images/UBGX/07.gif