PDA

View Full Version : "Maximus Play" Software Review!

Maxspa
02-27-2006, 02:06 PM
"Maximus Play"
Software Review

"Maximus Play is both a handicapping software and
a research tool. It was cleverly devised by a Canadian
firm called K.Tex Engineering LTD. This is not their only software
offering as they have created software to use in the
stock market. The developer uses "Maximus Play" for
his own handicapping pursuits and softly chided me
during the selection test when I did not include a horse
Dee's Legend that paid $81.60 at Santa Anita. I will do
my best to analyze this software, as an at best average
computer person, trying to implement learned
handicapping ideas. That way you should get a clear
picture of what's in store for you, should you decide to
purchase this program.
"Maximus Play' is not a handicapping program for
everybody. The introductory process, getting to
understand the basic workings of the software, will take
time. You will need patience and practice to use a DRF
file, export it to "Maximus Play" and then use the
handicapping process to arrive at a selection. To take
advantage of what I consider a crucial part of the program
you need to download result files from TrackMaster. This
created a problem for me because unlike HDW, DRF, ITS,
TSN, or BRIS, downloading at Trackmaster is different. The
suggestions given on their website contained pictures
regarding downloading steps that were outdated. I had to
call them and get help. These result files are used by
"Maximus Play" to help you find the types of races that
are profitable. This information is priceless. That's why
when Aqueduct had some days during the test when huge
payoffs were prevalent, "Maximus Play" was 7 for 13.
This aspect of the software is, worth the
price, and IMHO makes it a bargain. Remember if you
use two files it will be a daily fee for both per track and
this is a financial drawback.
The program uses Formulator Basic files from DRF.
You download them and export them from Formulator to
"Maximus Play". Open "Maximus Play" and you'll find a
file drop down menu. Clicking import file will allow you
to find the day's races and you are underway. The
race program for that day will be shown and you click
on the race you wish to handicap. When you reach
this point in your handicapping, you'll find an easy, well
defined process for handicapping. I particularly liked the
ability to bring up the past performances for an individual
horse or several of the entries. A suggestion, at this point
in time, would be to download the help files and print them
for reference purposes.
On the handicapping screen you can select profiles
included with the program or your own that you have
devised. Profiles are an integral part of the program and
can include basic handicapping principles of speed, class
and consistency. Developing these profiles in accordance
with information gleaned from the result files can be
dynamite. You can handicap a race using the results from
several profiles and in each case the profile picks can be
identified. In the test I used one included with the software
and two I developed using the result charts.
There are a couple of suggestions for the developer, that
would improve the software and appeal to more handicappers.
One the use of file options other than DRF or Trackmaster would be number one. However, when I mentioned this to the developer
he mentioned that this would not be possible unless he
redesigned the software. Secondly whenever you handicap with
a certain profile and there are scratches, select a different
profile and you have to scratch the horses again. Even
though there were past performances readily available on
the handicapping screen, I would have liked to see days
away available for profile development or at least on the
handicapping screen where the horses are listed. Don't
let these suggestions affect your overall program evaluation.
I think you'll find that this competent programmer has done a fine job getting the important information to the handicapper.
The results from the selection board indicate a winning
performance for both Aqueduct and Santa Anita. Aqueduct
stats were excellent in regard to percent and price. Santa
Anita on the other hand though it showed a profit depended
on a last day double digit horse to be a winner.
Finally, this program in my estimation can help certain
handicappers improve their bottom line. The person must have
a combination of skills. He or she must have some basic
computer understanding, patience, problem solving
techniques, plus willingness to wait and play the races that
profiles and handicapping experience tell us have a good
chance to be winners. This software will be part of my
handicapping procedure.
Maxspa

fergie
02-27-2006, 05:49 PM
As always, from you, Maxspa, a carefully considered, and well thought out evaluation. I appreciate it.

Fergie

Maxspa
02-27-2006, 06:57 PM
Fergie,
Thank you for your kind words. This whole process has been a lot of fun!
The developer was a gentleman, supportive and his software is an extension of his hard work.
Maxspa

John
02-27-2006, 08:38 PM
I don't get it Max, why would they not want to fix it so it takes the TSN or Bris files. I would think they would sell more programs if they did.IMHO.

kingfin66
02-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Max, I hope you don't mind, but I did a little formatting to make your excellent review a little bit easier on the old eyeballs. Great job as usual.

"Maximus Play"
Software Review

"Maximus Play is both a handicapping software and a research tool. It was cleverly devised by a Canadian firm called K.Tex Engineering LTD. This is not their only software offering as they have created software to use in the stock market. The developer uses "Maximus Play" for his own handicapping pursuits and softly chided me during the selection test when I did not include a horse Dee's Legend that paid $81.60 at Santa Anita. I will do my best to analyze this software, as an at best average computer person, trying to implement learned handicapping ideas. That way you should get a clear picture of what's in store for you, should you decide to purchase this program.

"Maximus Play' is not a handicapping program for everybody. The introductory process, getting to understand the basic workings of the software, will take time. You will need patience and practice to use a DRF file, export it to "Maximus Play" and then use the handicapping process to arrive at a selection. To take advantage of what I consider a crucial part of the program you need to download result files from TrackMaster. This created a problem for me because unlike HDW, DRF, ITS, TSN, or BRIS, downloading at Trackmaster is different. The suggestions given on their website contained pictures regarding downloading steps that were outdated. I had to call them and get help. These result files are used by "Maximus Play" to help you find the types of races that are profitable. This information is priceless. That's why when Aqueduct had some days during the test when huge payoffs were prevalent, "Maximus Play" was 7 for 13. This aspect of the software is, worth the price, and IMHO makes it a bargain. Remember if you use two files it will be a daily fee for both per track and this is a financial drawback.

The program uses Formulator Basic files from DRF. You download them and export them from Formulator to "Maximus Play". Open "Maximus Play" and you'll find a file drop down menu. Clicking import file will allow you to find the day's races and you are underway. The race program for that day will be shown and you click on the race you wish to handicap. When you reach this point in your handicapping, you'll find an easy, well defined process for handicapping. I particularly liked the ability to bring up the past performances for an individual horse or several of the entries. A suggestion, at this point in time, would be to download the help files and print them for reference purposes.

On the handicapping screen you can select profiles included with the program or your own that you have devised. Profiles are an integral part of the program and can include basic handicapping principles of speed, class and consistency. Developing these profiles in accordance with information gleaned from the result files can be dynamite. You can handicap a race using the results from several profiles and in each case the profile picks can be identified. In the test I used one included with the software and two I developed using the result charts.

There are a couple of suggestions for the developer, that would improve the software and appeal to more handicappers. One the use of file options other than DRF or Trackmaster would be number one. However, when I mentioned this to the developer he mentioned that this would not be possible unless he redesigned the software. Secondly whenever you handicap with a certain profile and there are scratches, select a different profile and you have to scratch the horses again. Even though there were past performances readily available on the handicapping screen, I would have liked to see days away available for profile development or at least on the handicapping screen where the horses are listed. Don't let these suggestions affect your overall program evaluation. I think you'll find that this competent programmer has done a fine job getting the important information to the handicapper.

The results from the selection board indicate a winning performance for both Aqueduct and Santa Anita. Aqueduct stats were excellent in regard to percent and price. Santa Anita on the other hand though it showed a profit depended on a last day double digit horse to be a winner.

Finally, this program in my estimation can help certain handicappers improve their bottom line. The person must have a combination of skills. He or she must have some basic computer understanding, patience, problem solving techniques, plus willingness to wait and play the races that profiles and handicapping experience tell us have a good chance to be winners. This software will be part of my handicapping procedure.

Maxspa

Maxspa
02-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Kingfin,
Thank you for making the review easier on the eyes! Congratulations on your new web site!

John,
As I understand the file situation, the developer related," It would take major changes to prepare the software for additional files". In addition, he chose DRF for race files because they have the Beyer numbers.
Max

ratpack
02-28-2006, 03:39 PM
I am not familiar with Formulator (DRF) or Trackmaster. What is the daily cost of both the daily and the results files. Are there monthly available?

Thanks,

Maxspa
02-28-2006, 09:45 PM
Chris,
Unfortunately, the file costs are expensive. Discussing a possible file change with the developer, (An articulate, reasonable individual) the program adjustments would have to be major in order to make any changes.
DRF Formulator Basic Files
$2.50 each
10 for $18.95
20 for $29.95
60 for $59.95
Unlimited $99.95
TrackMaster Result Files
$1.50 each
$149.95 Unlimited

That's why, when I wrote the review, a file warning was issued!
Maxspa

John
02-28-2006, 10:39 PM
Whew!!! I need a DRF Formulator Basic File to run the program $2.50 a file.

Then I trot over to TrackMaster for a Result Files $1.50 each that I need for modeling a profile.

$ 4.00 a track and I need to deal with two venders. :bang:

Hosshead
03-01-2006, 01:35 AM
I assume the Unlimited Prices are Per Month ?... So that = $250./Month To run this Maximus SW. :eek:

Even if it took Procaps (which it doesn't), it would still cost $190./Mo. !!

Lefty
03-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Hoss, if it took Procaps and used the TSN exotic results, it would only be $59.95 a mo foer unlimited trks.

Hosshead
03-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Yeah..Lefty...Forgot,... if it took TSN Procaps, it would also take TSN results. Thus eliminating the expensive Trackmaster results.

I guess that would be a crime !
You don't suppose they do that on purpose do ya ?

Maxspa
03-01-2006, 08:21 AM
Hoss+Lefty,
Maximus Play could run on DRF files alone but the heart of the program is to be able to find out what types of horses win at the track you are handicapping and the profiles allow you to develop handicapping strategies. Without the results files you are left with the profiles that come with the software. The software profiles did produce the Santa Anita horse at $81.60 but I can't recommend the software on that result alone.
Maxspa

ratpack
03-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I don't get it. Why would a developer make such a program that is so expensive to run.

I mean just a little research would see that between $65 to $150 a month is about all any horse player is going to pay for data. JMHO

Maxspa
03-01-2006, 06:25 PM
Chris,
I have the answer to part of the question. He chose DRF because of the availability of the Beyer numbers in that file download. His research led him to believe speed was extremely important in the handicapping process. So as a result he chose the Beyer numbers for their quality. As far as the Trackmaster files which are the most expensive part of the file download, I don't know the answer to that question but will try to find out!
Maxspa

ratpack
03-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Chris,
I have the answer to part of the question. He chose DRF because of the availability of the Beyer numbers in that file download. His research led him to believe speed was extremely important in the handicapping process. So as a result he chose the Beyer numbers for their quality. As far as the Trackmaster files which are the most expensive part of the file download, I don't know the answer to that question but will try to find out!
Maxspa

Max you seem to have the most experience in a variety of software, what type of file would you have advised the developer to use.

I know it was a quick but based on your review they seem to have created a nice piece of software with maybe some potential that no one is going to purchase.

Maxspa
03-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Chris,
Clearly I see software developers giving potential buyers choices, with TSN and BRIS being the predominate files to select from!
Maxspa

John
03-02-2006, 12:58 PM
As I recall in the past, Several members claim that Bris speed numbers are as good if not better than Beyer. Maybe,the Maximus vender /programger had not did any research on Bris numbers or he would have included Bris files.

Also, CJ, frist started out with Drf Formulator and then converted over to TSN/BRIS. It can be done if Maximus wants to. Give it another month and maybe they will come up with a Bris version.

If I know Maxspa, he will keep hammering until he gets Maximus to come up with a TSN/Bris program just so you guys can have it.

Maxspa
03-02-2006, 07:12 PM
John,
This developer has worked a tremendous amount of material into his software. It has a wagering section that I did not even cover in the review because that would have added time to the learning curve. He did his homework (Beyer Numbers for example) before he developed the software. Because he is a horseplayer like you and I, he put other business projects
on the back burner so he could complete this project with the utmost precision and care. I don't believe he made a mistake with the Beyer number inclusion. Again the file selection is the reason, most people won't utiize his software but it's the same with handicappers not willing to pay a monthly fee to HDW. Handicappers do not want software expenses to eat up their profits.
This situation is a Catch 22, because on one hand you have IMHO a quality software that won't be used because the file expenses are so cost prohibitive. To retool his software would take additional monies and time and be cost prohibitive for him-nobody wins here!
Maxspa

on hold