PDA

View Full Version : File this in the "Who Cares" cabinet.

highnote
02-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Sex Pistols Flip Off Rock Hall

Actually, I thought this was pretty funny. It's exactly what they should have done. This is the kind of action that defined them.

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/eo/20060224/114083424000.html

GameTheory
02-26-2006, 11:27 AM
I wonder if he'd come (as John Lydon, not Johnny Rotten) if Public Image Ltd. was inducted?

highnote
02-26-2006, 11:53 AM
HAHAHA Good point. I'll email him and see what he says. :D

JustRalph
02-26-2006, 11:47 PM
How does a band who only made one album get into the rock hall?

It has always been a joke..........this just reinforces it.

GameTheory
02-27-2006, 02:33 AM
How does a band who only made one album get into the rock hall?

It has always been a joke..........this just reinforces it.It *is* a great album, and the influence is immeasurable...

highnote
02-27-2006, 01:43 PM
It *is* a great album, and the influence is immeasurable...

Fashionwise - they were very influencial. Body piercing, tatoos and purple and orange hair as a sign of "coolness" can be traced to them.

And even then, it took 20 years until it filtered down to the kids in mainstream America. Every 28 year old female grade school teacher probably has a tatoo and a body piercing thanks to the Sex Pistols bringing it to America.

So I suppose the Pistols were really a respresentation of the Punk fashion movement.

They were radical for their time. I remember working with my parents in our family business back about 1976. We were all together packaging up some products and listening to the radio. The news came on and the newscasters were discussing the Sex Pistols. One of the news anchors was describing all their outlandish behaviors.

The anchor described how some members of the Sex Pistols would walk up to old ladies in the airport and vomit on them. My mother was appalled (and rightly so). I remember my father laughing thinking it was the most absurd thing he had every heard.

With PR like that preceding them, the Sex Pistols were bound to a smash hit in America.

More importantly, the Sex Pistols sound was the first wave of music that killed Disco. And for that alone, they deserve a place in the Hall of Fame. :D

Wiley
02-27-2006, 03:07 PM
HAHAHA Good point. I'll email him and see what he says. :D
My guess is 'P*ss off!!'

There is a documentary titled 'DOA' I saw in the summer of '82 about the Sex Pistols '78? US tour, haven't seen it since but it is quite a hoot especially when they play in Dallas. Sid and Nancy's wasted selves appear prominently.
They were the answer to anti-Disco, saw them on a replacement news show for SNL in '76 at my grandparents house and spent the rest of the weekend singing 'God Save the Queen', not that I knew what the hell a facist regime was but I still liked it.
Mark Twain's line fits here!