PDA

View Full Version : Callling saratoga residents

andicap
02-25-2006, 08:10 PM
I would like to hear from anyone who lives in Saratoga now or has done so in the recent past --
there is a 30% chance our family will be moving there this year as my wife has interviewed for a job and we should hear within a week whether she gets an offer. (I work for myself and can live almost anywhere but she has the benefits.)
It's a big decision for the family and I'm trying to get all the information I can about the cost of living (houses I've checked out -- so much cheaper than Westchester, especially the new builds on the West Side. Compared to where I am now they are an amazing value for the price. Hot tubs! Woo-ee!!).

I look for info on the schools, the lifestyle, the people, the local economy, etc.

We were up there on Friday and didn't have much time to really look around or talk to people but of course I'm familiar with the city from all the years of going up there in August. But it's a different town the rest of the year of course.
Yes, I know it's very cold and it snows a lot, but I was prepared to move to Canada a year ago.

Ron
02-25-2006, 11:48 PM
I live in Guilderland (25 miles south of Saratoga) and just bought this house a year ago. I looked in Saratoga, but the commute to work in Albany would have been a real pain (~hour) during peak times. Plus, I felt like we "missed the boat" -- in the year prior (2004) real estate values had doubled in the greater Saratoga area. Would your wife be working in Albany or actually in Saratoga?"

If your wife gets the job I can help out as much as I can.

Ron
02-25-2006, 11:52 PM
Did you check out this school comparision at the Times Union website?

http://timesunion.com/reportcard2005/

Zaf
02-25-2006, 11:53 PM
Andy,

IM Maxspa, he will give you all the info you need !

Z

andicap
02-26-2006, 12:14 AM
I live in Guilderland (25 miles south of Saratoga) and just bought this house a year ago. I looked in Saratoga, but the commute to work in Albany would have been a real pain (~hour) during peak times. Plus, I felt like we "missed the boat" -- in the year prior (2004) real estate values had doubled in the greater Saratoga area. Would your wife be working in Albany or actually in Saratoga?"

If your wife gets the job I can help out as much as I can.

SHe would be working in Saratoga -- we're aware of the awful Albany-Saratoga rush-hour commute.
The big question for us is how much we can get for our house. If we can get enough we can cut our current mortgage by $2500. (You should see my taxes!!)
Saving $30,000 a year would be kind of nice.

Zaf
02-26-2006, 12:31 AM
Good we'll have a place to hold the PA Saratoga Getaway 4 , just kidding :lol:

Z

andicap
02-26-2006, 01:26 PM
Good we'll have a place to hold the PA Saratoga Getaway 4 , just kidding :lol:

Z

Well, I probably could use help paying my mortgage. ;)

Oh, you'd all be invited over for a big blowout bar-be-que. No Coors or Bud allowed except maybe to marinate the pork chops.

Haven't heard from anyone yet -- either they haven't been on the board or they don't want their property values to go down!! :)

kingfin66
02-26-2006, 06:20 PM
SHe would be working in Saratoga -- we're aware of the awful Albany-Saratoga rush-hour commute.
The big question for us is how much we can get for our house. If we can get enough we can cut our current mortgage by $2500. (You should see my taxes!!)
Saving $30,000 a year would be kind of nice.

This frightens me. You would save $2500/mo? Sheesh, I thought I had a big mortgage.

Tom
02-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Andy, I hear there might be race track nearby.:ThmbUp:

Zaf
02-26-2006, 07:51 PM
Tom,

With Live Racing ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Z

andicap
02-26-2006, 08:18 PM
This frightens me. You would save $2500/mo? Sheesh, I thought I had a big mortgage.

You have no idea -- My property taxes are $10K a year. :bang:

There are supposedly a flow of people moving from the NY area to the Saratoga area to take advantage of the wide gap in property values and taxes.

Zaf
02-26-2006, 08:26 PM
10 K a year , thats brutal !

Z

shanta
02-26-2006, 09:38 PM
You have no idea -- My property taxes are $10K a year. :bang:

There are supposedly a flow of people moving from the NY area to the Saratoga area to take advantage of the wide gap in property values and taxes.

Andi,

where do you live in New Ro? Up North Avenue toward the high school?

Richie

andicap
02-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Shanta,

Further north than that near Wilimot Road and Grand Blvd. My neighborhood doesn't have a name but its about half a mile from Wilmot Woods near the Eastchester border. My block is not exactly what you would expect up north, kind of plain, not ritzy at all.