PDA

View Full Version : Who likes Margo?

Doc
02-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Anybody here watch the Tampa Bay paddock commentary? Golly, where the heck did they dig Margo up from? I know she's been there a while, but it just goes to show the lack of talent in the field of horse racing broadcasters when they keep people like her on the air. My mute button on the remote control has been really getting a workout this winter...MUTE for Joanne Jones at Gulfstream and MUTE for Margo. Matter of fact, I can't stand either track's announcers, especially when Richard Grunder fails to state the names of the second and third-place finishers or when Vic Stauffer throws in commentary like "so-and-so better get moving."

Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety, but every year I hope things get better and they never do. Perhaps these people work cheap.

Doc :bang:

kenwoodallpromos
02-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Let me ask you a question- Are there enough female handicappers around to find great tv personalities?
maybe if more than 1% of betters were female there would be more selection. Maybe the better question is- if the numbers of women are prominent in bingo and slots and beginning to be in table games, what is it about racing that does not draw females to it?
On this forum what I remember is the constant "beulah twins" jokes, even after one of their husband died; and I remembver a teen girl trying to sign on here as a member and paraniods knocked her off (she left for a rider's forum because she was not thick-skinned enough for us!)
Maybe felames get skiddish over highly-charged, emotional middle-aged or older males with an ax to grind who do not want to show anyone anything and give away their "secrets". Women I know do not like the races because they will feel they cannot just jump in a fit right in. Insecurity. But you did not specifically mention sex issues, I did. So let me answer your question:
________
Yes, they find people to work as cheap as possible, as long as they are not repuilsive to look at and sound like they can talk in complete sentences. (Dennis Miller excepted!)
They could hire the best public handicappers in the world for the shows and get even money horses all day long, and pay them more than is affordable.
Unless I am mistaken Magna owns HRTV and Churhill Downs Inc owns TVG- as you know, they with tracks, tv and betting services are just like Equibase in stats and Bloodhorse in publishing- are all trying to corner the entire market monopoly in their specific genres.
As far as I am concerned, horseracing news on banners or websites or on tv is really 2 of the very few ways racing is doing positive PR.
That is what tv races are- loss leader promotion for their money-making ventures. And that is fine with me if it is free or cheap and I benefit!
BTW- you have been around racing long enough so you are not missing anything by having them sound off, right?LOL!!

shanta
02-23-2006, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=Doc]Anybody here watch the Tampa Bay paddock commentary? Golly, where the heck did they dig Margo up from?
QUOTE]

:lol: :lol:

I bet there every day Doc and couldn't agree more! Can't they get some hot young chick who loves the races and then shows a bit of skin too??

oh wait. Sorry. Dreaming again. :faint:

Richie

Doc
02-23-2006, 03:58 PM
I'm not talking so much about what Margo looks like, but her on-air personality and the way she reads off her program is just awful - she sounds so fake. If she knows so much about racing, why not let her write an analysis of each race and publish it in the track program? Better yet, intelligent analysis on Tampa Bay's web site about the day's racing would be very welcome. Some people are just not cut out for television, and I think she's one of them. When I listen to her I often get the feeling she'd be better hawking jewelry or brassieres on the Home Shopping Channel.

In response to kenwoodallpromos, I betcha the reason there aren't more female handicappers is because they're turned off by the derelicts that hang out at the track, especially on the first floor grandstand ("Ground zero," as a friend of mine calls it. He also calls these types "desperados," which cracks me up). The next time you're on the apron of the track, look around you. How many dirty-looking guys are spitting on the ground? Plenty. And how about the obscenities that are shouted before and after the race? It takes a special kind of girl to want to hang out in that arena.

rrbauer
02-23-2006, 04:36 PM
kendall the prune guy wrote:
"Unless I am mistaken Magna owns HRTV and Churhill Downs Inc owns TVG- as you know..."

Comment:
TVG is owned by News Corp (Rupert Murdoch) and has close ties with Fox Television from an operational perspective (it's produced at Fox studios in LA).

Regarding Margo Flynn: Basically she goes through the motions. Personable she ain't! Her regular job is head of publicity for TBD. Watch out for hosses with local (to Tampa) connections that she mentions in her 1-2-3 analysis which aren't favs.

kenwoodallpromos
02-23-2006, 05:50 PM
TVG seems to not deal with Stronach much so I thought TVG was CDI; but that is why I said I could be mistaken.
I do not bitch about nicknames including Kendall if that is what you wish to call me, but what is the story on the "prune guy" bit? I have no idea what earned me that or what it means.

toetoe
02-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Ken,

Your Freudian slip is showing ... felames? :lol:

In the announcers race, by golly, by the time they hit the backstretch, Vic Stauffer will be last. He has to go RIGHT NOW! :D

The Beulah Twins ... I finally saw them doing a simulcast pick-the-chalk thing. Man, Ethel Mertz looked better. That's not saying they're worse than Mike Battaglia, Bob Neumeier, or tons of other men. Their looks just don't get them so far as was planned, I guess. Not for me, anyway. :)

kenwoodallpromos
02-23-2006, 06:17 PM
I've been doing that plenty lately- either the new glasses or I'm catching what OJ has- Disl.xia! Mybe its "prune guy" because my typing fingers are shriveling up!

JustRalph
02-23-2006, 06:37 PM
This thread reminds me of the Brit chick that used to be on TVG. She used to call all the drivers at Balmoral "Doctor" until one night one of the guys finally told her (on the air) that the "DR." in front of the name meant "Driver!"

Doctor Walter Case, Phone Call for Doctor Case!

Wickel
02-23-2006, 06:46 PM
Here's the solution: Give all handicapping air time to the BEULAH TWINS--'NUFF SAID!

DrugSalvastore
02-23-2006, 08:59 PM
This thread reminds me of the Brit chick that used to be on TVG. She used to call all the drivers at Balmoral "Doctor" until one night one of the guys finally told her (on the air) that the "DR." in front of the name meant "Driver!"

Doctor Walter Case, Phone Call for Doctor Case!

Claudia Simon!!!!

She was f'ing ADORABLE!!!!!!! That accent was SOOOO hot!!!

Yea, she knew nothing about racing---and her personality wasn't the greatest, but she rocked!! TVG's had so many on-air guys and girls who don't belong, she was probably one of them, because she knew nothing about racing, but at least she was nice to look at and listen too.

rrbauer
02-24-2006, 09:09 AM
TVG seems to not deal with Stronach much so I thought TVG was CDI; but that is why I said I could be mistaken.
I do not bitch about nicknames including Kendall if that is what you wish to call me, but what is the story on the "prune guy" bit? I have no idea what earned me that or what it means.

In a hurry and my fat fingers got ahead of my brain...sorry!