PDA

View Full Version : confessions of a "lurker"

joeyspicks
02-22-2006, 10:08 PM
Hi all!

I've been pretty much a lurker since Steve's confusing and pointless posts. Stayed that way through the entire Boxcar thread (book?).....and the continuing never-ending Amazing Capper thread. I dont really have much to say as my interest lies more in the psychology of winning, money management, awareness...etc etc. However I just had to come awake and make a few comments:

Boxcar threads: I am one who loves angles....within the context of handicapping a race. However I tend to agree with CJ, RMania, and JeffP on this one. Rmania's point that keeping it simple (with angles) is essential. RMania pointed out a simple (too simple ??) angle that didnt seem to generate much interest compared to the long drawn out boxcar angles. However it is simular to one I have used for years with much success. The angles as posted by boxcar are just too confusing and will not hold up as profit generators on their own (imo).

The a-capper saga: just sad (life is too short)

You see:
I Just have been too busy with real life. My wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer (huge tumor 10cm....told to go home and get your affairs "in order"). Been going to Chemo and had the radical masectomy. One thing I can say for sure fellas...none of this stuff is worth fighting over. I have been trying to stay together for her (and be the strength).
I am grateful she is still here and have been spending most of my time at home. I'm thankful for horse racing as I have earned most of my living these past 6 months at home....playing the horses. This has allowed me the time to be home with her during these god awful months. Its been a tough time and only prayer and faith have taken us this far. Shes a fighter and a gentle spirit at the same time. Lifes much too short to hold grudges. Enjoy what you have. Enjoy your family. Be grateful (for everything).....and SHOW the ones you love....that you love them. Before its too late!

God bless

keep learning

Joe

PaceAdvantage
02-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Sometimes we all need to be kicked in the teeth with the obvious because we sometimes forget what is truly important and worth fighting for.....Very sorry to hear about your wife's illness. I pray a miracle will come her way!

And remember also that the two threads you cite in your post are but a fraction of what this board is all about. Let's not throw away six years because of two or three threads!

wolsons
02-22-2006, 10:31 PM
From a fellow recent lurker, tough deal Joe - you have my wife's and my best wishes and prayers...

Steve

Tom
02-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Ditto that, Joe....hope it comes out OK.

Angles - I wouldn't expect any angles to show along term profit - just some will be more powerful predictors. If you took one of the nalges and ran it over 50,000 races and it showed an ROI of 0.97, it would technically be a loser.
But 0.97! Holy Moly - this is one I will be looking at. And I doubt anyone here would ever play one angle in 50,000 races. I doubt anyone would ever just play one angle every race for 50,000 races anyway.
Jim Lehane (Calibration Handicapping) wrote glowingly of the speed, fade angle. I am quite sure he doesn't play every one he sees, but he has identified a move that has led to winners in the past, in context of his full handicapping proceedures, and he plays it in the future when the rest of his work supports the horse ( I hope, Jim ;) ).

Just take what you can from this place - use what works for you.
Do some searches - there are a lot of threads here with a wealth of good stuff in them. Pick the fruit and leave the stems behind.:rolleyes:

shanta
02-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Hi all!

The a-capper saga: just sad (life is too short)

You see:
I Just have been too busy with real life. My wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer (huge tumor 10cm....told to go home and get your affairs "in order"). Been going to Chemo and had the radical masectomy. One thing I can say for sure fellas...none of this stuff is worth fighting over. I have been trying to stay together for her (and be the strength).
I am grateful she is still here and have been spending most of my time at home. I'm thankful for horse racing as I have earned most of my living these past 6 months at home....playing the horses. This has allowed me the time to be home with her during these god awful months. Its been a tough time and only prayer and faith have taken us this far. Shes a fighter and a gentle spirit at the same time. Lifes much too short to hold grudges. Enjoy what you have. Enjoy your family. Be grateful (for everything).....and SHOW the ones you love....that you love them. Before its too late!

God bless

keep learning

Joe

I will say a prayer for her tonite Joey. May God's love shine on your whole family during this tough time.

Richie

Skanoochies
02-23-2006, 01:16 AM
Hope and best wishes for your wife Joe. :ThmbUp:

Dave Schwartz
02-23-2006, 01:31 AM
Not much one can say, Joey.

May God be with her and you through this.

Warm Regards,
Dave Schwartz

kingfin66
02-23-2006, 01:36 AM
I'm really sorry to hear about your wife. I too have been a little mesmerized about all the bickering here over the past few days. We got a call on Sunday evening regarding my wife's aunt being in the hospital (intensive care). We saw her last month and she was going great. This evening she is gone. This dear woman babysat my children for the first 5 years of their lives and called her "grandma." I wanted to take them to see her today, but her condition had taken a turn for the worse and she had to have emergency surgery from which she did not recover, thus, neither they nor I even got a chance to say good bye.

So yes Joey, I can relate about 100% to what your talking about. I love handicapping horse racing. Betting them is okay too, but it is the handicapping part that I really enjoy the most. Why do we come to PA or anywhere else related to our avocation of horse racing? Is it really to bicker, or is to enjoy discussion with like minded people?

Finally, my thoughts are with you and your wife. Real life sure can suck. I know that the two of you won't give up. She is lucky to have a person like you by her side and you sound very lucky to have her in your life. I wish both of you all the best.

46zilzal
02-23-2006, 02:02 AM
Tomorrow makes the 4th anniversary of my wife's death. She was only 54 years old. We were married almost 34 years. Never miss a moment with them.

Buried my father last Friday but he had a good run of 88 years and all of us were there. Still tough to watch congestive heart failure overtake someone as the heart rate continued to rise, the B/P continued to fall as his lungs filled up.

I was very lucky to find another wonderful gal however.

GaryG
02-23-2006, 06:25 AM
God bless you and your wife Joe...my prayers are with you.

GlenninOhio
02-23-2006, 08:07 AM
Joe -

This has all got to be very scary for both of you.

I have a humble suggestion - don't ever put yourself down for being afraid.

The following quote has helped sustain me during some tough times:

"Fear is the opportunity for courage, not proof of cowardice."
Senator John McCain

God bless.

Glenn

betchatoo
02-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Keep nearby a memory of all the golden moments of the past
Make every current moment count
Pray for and expect miracles
Accept what happens

My thoughts are with you.

Scott

joeyspicks
02-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Hi fellas,

A heartfelt THANKS to all that took the time to post a message back to me, both on this forum and with pm. Its amazing how a person can get a lift...just from hearing from others. Even though I havent actually met anyone from the board (and may never?)...it was really pretty uplifting to hear from you and being told you might say a prayer for us. Nice! Please know that it was very much appriciated!

PA, thanks for the kind words and the reminder that this forum is more than bickering and sarcasm.. Its absolutely true. I have learned a lot and now I have been encouraged and cheered by quite a few members. Once again I've received, more than I've given.

I keep looking forward to spring......and better days!

God bless,

Joe

Suff
02-23-2006, 07:21 PM
You see:
I Just have been too busy with real life. My wife has been diagnosed with breast cancer (huge tumor 10cm....told to go home and get your affairs "in order"). Joe

Hi Joe

Thanks for the post. A couple of years ago I shared my own cancer story on PaceAdvantage. My Fiance, Arlene Bourqe. Renal Cell Carcinoma. (bone cancer).

I'll never forget it. Rocked me to my core. She's gone now. I miss her. Good girl. The best..

I wish it never happened. I known her since she was a kid. I was at her sweet 16th birthday party.

A knockout?!! try 5 foot 3, 115 pounds, French and Italian, green eyes, blonde.......Personality to spare.

I took her everywhere! The girl could go anywhere...I took her to the track three days a week. At the time I was playing Barboot (dice game), in a MOB filled dice room. I took her there. I had a small Business...I took her to my attorney, my accountant,,,,,,,I took her to my Dad's house, my Sisters house. I could take her anywhere. She just fit.......anywhere.

I got a call one day from her MOM that Arlene could'nt get out of bed because of some pain in her back. She died 68 days later.

Bad #### man. No self pity. I'm breathing and typing.

I wish peace for you and your family.

Mike

CryingForTheHorses
02-23-2006, 07:28 PM
I have been with "My Girl" for 15 years,married her 2 years ago under a palm tree at the beach..After 15 years I still catch myself stealing glances at her like a lovestruck schoolkid.I dont think I will ever lose that feeling.Sounds like to me you and your wife share that same love. God bless the both of you.The best of luck!

keilan
02-23-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey Joey,

Been away from the board myself for the last while, yours is one of the 1st threads I looked at this evening.

I’m truly sorry to hear about your wife’s battle with cancer, I’ll say a prayer for the both of you tonight.

God bless

k

dastar
02-23-2006, 11:50 PM
Hello Joe,

Special Prayers for your wife & may God shine his light on her.

Dastar

BIG RED
02-27-2006, 12:02 PM
........ Lifes much too short to hold grudges. Enjoy what you have. Enjoy your family. Be grateful (for everything).....and SHOW the ones you love....that you love them. Before its too late!Joe

Ain't this the truth. The past 3 years I have been hit with this like a brick. In these times of worry is when you see who your real freinds are and the love of family shines.

I wish all the best in the coming days Joey, and the threads you mentioned are all irrelevant.

twindouble
02-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Joey; I don't know you at all but there's no words that can prepare you for or what your experiencing now or in the future. The only comfort or advise I can give is, be dam sure you've got the best available doctors and treatment facilities at your disposal. Except nothing less. I can sight many examples where I lost friends and relatives to support what I'm saying plus others that got the right treatment and survived for many years, my sister is one of them. She fit the same description as your wife's condition.

I pray your wife, you and family get the same results as my sister.

T.D.

Red Knave
02-27-2006, 02:27 PM
Joe -
Lifes much too short to hold grudges. Enjoy what you have. Enjoy your family. Be grateful (for everything).....and SHOW the ones you love....that you love them. Before its too late!
Amen. Words to live by.

As you can see, a lot of us here have been in situations similar to your own.
I pray that your situation turns out better than you hope.

Remember the past, look to the future but also live today.

Peace,
Bob

ezpace
02-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Life's to short for that resentment about sub-important things or for that matter anything .

BEST TO YOU AND the WIfe. YELL here if you need anything.

EZpace