PDA

View Full Version : Modem and Router problem

wes
02-22-2006, 05:35 PM
Anyway to work Cable modem SBD5120 motorola with LYNKSYS 4 PORT CABLE/DSL MODEL BEFSR41. Get one computer to log on to the internet with router but not the second one. Appreciate any information on which I may need to replace. computer AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+2.2GHz media center.

wes

douglasw32
02-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Hard to tell without specifics, but usually it is the workgroup if xp or if 98/me it may be the ICS internet connection sharing not being set up right...

BillW
02-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Can someone familiar with windows step Wes through checking his gateway setting - that may do the trick.

Bill

headhawg
02-23-2006, 12:01 AM
Hard to tell without specifics, but usually it is the workgroup if xp or if 98/me it may be the ICS internet connection sharing not being set up right...
If you are using a home router, ICS is an unnecessary option and should be turned off.

wes,

Is your router set to do DHCP (automatically assign IP addresses/subnet mask)? If so, then make sure that the 2nd computer is obtaining its IP address automatically -- Right click My Network Places -- Properties -- Right click on Local area Connection -- Properties -- Double click Internet Protocol. The radio button for the top and bottom sections should be set to automatically obtain. If not, then the 2nd computer must be on the same network as the router, usually for a LinkSys 192.168.1.x, where x will be a number from 2 - 254.

Can you see a (green) link light on your NIC on the 2nd computer? Or, if you unplug your 2nd computer from the router/switch does the indicator light for that computer go off (in other words, was it on, indicating a network connection)?

Start there and let me know.

HH

JustRalph
02-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Wes, the answer to your ? is yes.......... The hawg is on target.......but this thread could go on all day...........and night...........you really need some phone support or a knowledgeable friend to drop by.........

wes
02-24-2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks all for the help. Circut City will be on the phone today to see if they can help set it up. Again thanks.

wes