PDA

View Full Version : The Spring Training Thread

kingfin66
02-22-2006, 01:01 PM
OTM Al started a thread titled, "Winter's Most Wonderful Words!" Indeed spring training makes up for the loss of football in a big way. Here is what I am inviting you all to do. Why not give a breakdown of how your hometown or favorite team stacks up going into spring training. Give the projected starters at the different positions, talk about offseason moves. Give opinions where needed. What is the projected batting order? The starting rotation. In other words, talk about you team. Try to keep the bravado to a minimum and give an honest opinion about where you think the team will finish this year.

kingfin66
02-22-2006, 01:50 PM
I'll go first. I live in the Seattle area and like the Mariners.

C - Kenji Jojima - Jojima continued the tradition of Japanese ballplayers coming to play in Seattle. The M's catching situation was horrible last season after Dan Wilson got injured early in the season and subsequently retired. Jojima is an unknown in terms of how he will play in the U.S. but could not possibly be any worse than what the M's suffered through last year at the catcher position.

1B - Richie Sexson - Sexson was one of the M's 2 big free agent signings from last year. The M's wanted more power and Sexson obliged. Seattle should get more of the same this year as Richie has proven his shoulder is sound. Not a high average hitter, but the power is legit. He is also a slick fielder especially given his extreme (6'7" height).

2B - There will be some competition between Fernando Vina, Willie Bloomquist, and Jose Lopez. Lopez is the youngest of the group and is a legit prospect. His defense has been called adequate. His real upside lies with the bat. He is the front runner to win the position, but will have to have a decent spring with both the glove and the bat.

Willie Bloomquist is a manager's dream. He stays ready to play, plays multiple positions and leaves everything on the field when he is out there. Unfortunately for him he has got the "utility" tag attached to his name. Last year, he showed he belonged in the big leagues and has the potential to start. My guess is that he will be one of those guys they refer to as a starter without a regular position. He will see action at 3B, SS, 2B, 1B, and OF while picking up about 400-450 AB's.

Vina is, I believe, a longshot to make the team. He is 36 years old and doesn't fit into the team's long term plan. If they think they can win this year and he shows he has a lot left, then maybe they can play him and send Lopez down for more seasoning. If they think that they are a year away (as I think), then Lopez should be the guy and Vina can go play for Tampa.

SS - Yuniesky Betancourt - The M's signed him as a free agent a couple/few years ago and he has really developed. He is a Cuban defector with one of those great survival at sea stories. Let me tell you, this kid can flat pick it at shortstop. The big question will be his offense, but he showed enough positive signs last season to indicate that he should pretty good at the plate. The job is his to lose.

3B - Adrian Beltre - The other free agent signing from last year. The guy did what many predicted he would, regressing to the mean in his first season with Seattle. He has come to camp lighter this year in an effort to ease the strain on his back and hamstrings. My personal feeling is that Bavasi should be canned for not doing his homework on this guy. Everybody in baseball seemed to know about his back and hammy issues, except Bavasi. He may come back some this year, but I don't expect more than .270-20-90. No bad if you're Bill Mueller, but not good with what they're paying Beltre.

LF - Raul Ibanez - One of the worst moves the M's every made was letting him go. Fortunately, they brought him back. No, he's not spectacular. He is, however, a steady player on the field and a great influence off the field. The M's actually sent a couple of young players down to Miami to work out with him and get some mentoring prior to camp opening. He looks to be assuming the role played by the great Edgar Martinez when he was still playing.

CF - Jeremy Reed - One of the players acquired in the Freddy Garcia deal (the only one still with Seattle by the way). He looked to have much promise when he was first called up. It looked like his stroke would be great for large gaps at Safeco Field. Something wierd happened along the way, however, he became a singles hitter. The second half of last season was particular disturbing as it doesn't seem that he was able to make any adjustments and improve his offensive performance. On the bright side, he is one heckuva defensive centerfielder. If only he could add some offense.

RF - The Great Ichiro - Apparently, Ichiro wasn't a happy camper last season. He felt that his teammates spent too much time playing cards in the clubhouse and not enough time preparing to play. Add to that the fact that manager Mike Hargrove does not care for his style of play. Ichiro is not a dive and get dirty kind of player on the field. He has meticulous work habits but plays a different game than Hargrove is used to. Manager and player had a face-to-face this off season and all seems okay. We will see.

DH - Carl Everett - Everett would never have been considered for employment by a team like Seattle a few years ago. Seattle has always wanted the touchy/feely fan favorite type of players that will connect with fans. That approach worked for awhile, but even the Seattle fans get tired of seeing players play the game like they're asleep (yes, I'm talking to you John Olerud). So the M's, having decided that getting rid of their more free spirited players (Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen for a couple), have decided to bring a little fire into the clubhouse. Let's hope that Everett came to Seattle to play and isn't too disruptive off the field. Ozzie Guillen seemed to be his type of manager since Ozzie pops off more than Everett could ever hope to. He looks to have some offense left. Time will tell.

Bench - Willie Bloomquist is the prime substitute. He will play multiple postitions. The M's made a curious signing in steriod violater Matt Lawton. His career has been on the decline and he can't even play for the first 10 game s of the season. My thinking is that they signed Lawton as insurance for Chris Snelling, the young Aussie outfielder. Snelling has always shown that he can be player. The only problem is that he always gets injured, and the injuries are always severe. When healthy, he is a good looking left-handed hitter. The backup catcher will come from a few people (LOL - I would actually have to look up their names as all of this is free hand so far).

Starting Rotation - This is where the M's were seriously lacking last year. They are still lacking, but not as much. Last year the M's went into the season with Jaime Moyer, Gil Meche, Joel Pineiro, Ryan Franklin and Aaron Sele. Ouch. Moyer performed as expected, Meche and Pineiro had some inconsistency to go along with minor arm issues, and Franklin and Sele flat out sucked.

This year, the team heads into battle with Moyer (44 and going strong), Meche, Pineiro, Jarrod Washburn and phenom Felix Hernandez. Washburn is the big signee this year and I think he will help the staff a lot. Replacing Franklin and Sele with Washburn and Hernandez makes the M's at least 12 games better in my opinion. The team also has not given up on Meche and Pineiro. Both of these guys are young, have good stuff and have had success in the past. My belief is that every starter on this staff will have double digit wins, decent ERA's, good innings pitched. Of course, injuries occur and things happen, but all-in-all I believe that the M's starting pitching will be much improved over last year.

Bullpen - The M's bullpen was erratic at times last year. Eddie Guardado somehow managed to save many games. No small feat when you consider he was on a bad team and is pitching with a torn rotator cuff. I love Eddie Guardado. I appreciate his intensity on the field, his honesty off the field, and his clubhouse leadership. He has already pinned one of his unique nicknames on new catcher Kenji Jojima, calling him Jo-Mama. Everday Eddie is the closer. Others in the pen are J.J. Putz (RH), Rafael Soriano (RH), Julio Mateo (RH), George Sherrill (LH) and Matt Thornton (LH). Others in the mix are Clint Nageotte, Jesse Foppert and Kevin Appier. It will be difficult for the younger pitchers, Nageotte and Foppert, and the aged Appier to supplant any of the main guys. Personally, I think the two leftys, Sherrill and Thornton, should have to earn their way onto the team. Neither one has ever done so, especially Thornton. The M's like him because he throws 95mph from the south side. Unfortunately, his performance hasn't matched his stuff. The most important piece to the bullpen puzzle this year is Rafael Soriano. His elbow was injured just as his stardom was about to be known. A healthy Soriano - all indication from the end of last season to present are that he is - will make for a very solid bullpen.

Final Thoughts - I think Seattle will be an improved team just for the changes to the pitching staff. Another good thing is that the team invested time last year developing their double play combo, Betancourt and Lopez. Signing Jojima will solidfy the catching. If they are lacking anything right now it is the presence of a power hitting outfielder. Defensively, the outfield is solid. But having both Reed and Ichiro out there makes for a lack of power. Ichiro did muscle up some last year, but power is not his game.

Prediction - The M's finish above .500 with a record of 84-78, but miss the playoffs.

Valuist
02-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Hernandez is the guy to watch there. I haven't seen him but I've heard his stuff is unreal. As for the rest of the rotation, just way too many question marks.

BTW, when did Hargrove become the M's manager? He's still living off the Cleveland glory years in the mid 90s when the Tribe was loaded w/talent. Albert Belle, Manny Ramirez, Brian Giles, Roberto Alomar and a few others. That was a Murderer's Row.

kingfin66
02-22-2006, 05:27 PM
They are actualy are going to make Hernandez the 5th starter so that he doesn't pitch too many innings too early in his career. He is pretty unreal. I hope that he has a breakout year and gets national attention. He throws in the upper 90's, has a wicked curve and a devastating changeup. Post about your hometown team...

OTM Al
02-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Within a couple years of moving to New York City I began following the Yankees (been here almost 16 years now, which is hard to believe) So here's what I think about what's going on there this year

C Jorge Posada. Has been a very solid player for several years now. Quality switch hitting ability. Look to see him about the same level as he has been the last several years, which gets the job done

1B Jason Giambi. The paper seemd to indicate he had gained weight over the winter. Question is does he come back more like the player of the first third of the season last year or like he was in the last 2 thirds. I expect more toward the latter though I think his best years are behind him

2B Robinson Cano. Big surprise story of last year. Was given a lot of moral support by a much more mature Reuben Sierra than the Yanks saw in his first time with the club in the mid 90's. Reuben is gone this year, so it is up to Robinson to keep maturing on his own. Shouldn't be a problem and expect to see a very good second season from him. Going to be a very dangerous #9 hitter.

SS Derek Jeter. He will hit .300. He will have 200 hits. He will score 100 runs. May drive in a few more this year with Damon in the #1 slot. Nothing more need be said.

3B Alex Rodriguez. Expect him to be even more comfortable in his position and in NY this year. Back to back MVP anyone?

LF Hideki Matsui. Was glad to see the Yanks resigned him. Personally I think he has turned out better than advertised. Should have another strong year.

CF Johnny Damon. Johnny will give the Yanks a true leadoff hitter, which they have not had since Chuck Knoblauch. He should score quite a few runs this year. His arm is questionable but he can run them down in the outfield, so not much of a defensive upgrade. Expect his power numbers to drop, so patience infront of the mashers behind him will be key

RF Gary Shefield. This guy would scare the crap out of me if I were a pitcher with that bat head twitching around. Don't expect much of a dropoff in his hitting. Wondering about his physical soundness in the field though.

DH Bernie Williams. I love seeing him back. Yeah, he's older and not what he was, but he can still hit and I expect to see his hitting stats actually go up this year without having to deal with the daily wear and tear of center. Bernie is oblivious to the world, so he should have no trouble transitioning to DH

Starters. Randy Johnson, Mike Mussina, Shaun Chacon, Chien Ming Wang will be there for sure and the last slot will be either Carl Pavano or Jaret Wright (ugh) depending on who is healthy, woth Aaron Small for emergencies. Expect Wang and Chacon to have good years. Chacon is a new man outside the thin air of Colorado and Wang should continue to develop. Expect Randy Johnson to do a bit better than last year, but he wont be the scary Randy Johnson of years past. Mussina has been on the decline and I expect the fall off to continue, though a weak Mike Mussina isn't a terrible thing to have.

Bull Pen. God knows what this will look like. Rivera is still the best at his position but has been used and abused the last couple years.Perhaps Kyle Farnsworth can fill that bridge role, but I'll believe it when I see it. Aaron Small will do well as a long man. Octavio Dotel also may provide a bridge to Rivera. Tanyon Sturze had a good year last year, but something tells me that may not continue this year. Ron Villone and Mike Meyers will be called on for lefties only. We'll see if they can handle even that.

Bench. Miguel Cairo, Andy Phillips, Bubba Crosby Kelly Stinnett. Cairo is a good return to the bench after spending a year cross town. Quality replacement if Cano has a sophmore curse. Andy Phillips should get a few games at first. Not much of a bat, but will be good in the field. Bubba will be the pinch runner, emergency outfielder and will continue in the roll he's had the last couple years. Stinnett will catch every 5th day. Probably will work with Randy Johnson, but that still remains to be seen.

Prognosis. hey, its an all-star team. They are going to score a lot of runs and if the pitching can hold together they will win 100 games and the division. They are getting older however, but it looks to me that the Red Sox have slipped a bit as well and I don't think Torontos off season moves are going to be quite enough to get them on top. I think there is a very good chance that they will return to the world series this year but I look for decline after this year.

dav4463
02-23-2006, 01:11 AM
Texas Rangers are pinning their hopes on Milwood being a solid starter and the new outfield with Wilkerson being much better. Buck says he expects to play in October. The Rangers final regular season game is October 1, so I guess he will get his wish! Anyway, lots of optimism by the manager and players and some of the talk show hosts, but Ranger fans still expect more of the same old stuff....optimistic until the middle of June.

kingfin66
02-23-2006, 01:52 AM
That staff sure doesn't sound very imposing. Johnson and Mussina may still have a little left in the tank, but how much? Chacon. I agree with Al's assessment. Leaving Colorado was great for his career. Wang looks to have some promise. Wright and Pavano are huge question marks, especially Wright.

The Yankees certainly have fearsome lineup, but their pitching is suspect. Does anybody really realize just how good a manager Joe Torre is?

mainardi
02-23-2006, 03:05 AM
with the stupid-@$$ WBC!!! :mad:

It's bad enough that "Baseball Bud" gives the All-Star game winning league the HF advantage in the WS... and now he's going to risk ruining some team's (or multiple teams') season because of some stupid injury -- remember that these guys are ALL notoriously NOT in game shape -- just so he can try to make some more money. So, when some All-Star, important cog goes down with a torn hammy, blown shoulder or something equally as bad, imagine how all of those season ticket holders will feel... think MLB will be offering refunds? As a semi-long-suffering Tigers fan, I'm hoping that every AL Central team has an injury that affects their team's chances... so that the boys can be the first modern era team to win their division with a sub .500 record!!! :D

NONE of these countries give a rat's tail about winning this thing... but the hype machine makes it seem like we should care. How did I come to this conclusion? Doy, it's going to be available in it's entirety... on ESPN Deportes... bust out your Spanish dictionaries. :bang:

As for me, I'd rather spend my time and money on the horses. :jump:

kingfin66
02-23-2006, 12:20 PM
I guarantee you that the teams in the WBC want to win. This is especially true of the Japanese, Dominican and Venezuelan teams.

I agree with you that it is not good for baseball in terms of the MLB season, and that is what is important. I do think that showcasing baseball on a worldwide stage is a good thing, but there are drawbacks. In addition to the injury factor - it is likely that somebody will get injured - you have the competition factor.

Major League teams have been successful in lobbying/pressuring certain players into not playing. Case in point, young Felix Hernandez of the Seattle Mariners. He wanted to play, but the M's basically petitioned for him to be barred from playing. It sounds rough, but this guy is the top pitching prospect in MLB. He could have helped the Venezuelan team, but will not get a chance to do so.

Also bringing down the competition is the pitch limits that have been imposed - 70 pitches for starters. Obviously, pitchers are put on limits through spring training and gradually stretch out to get ready for the season. These games set up as bullpen/bench battles from the 5th inning on. Not my kind of baseball.

Yeah, it was Selig who pushed this despite the wishes of the owner. But look on the bright side, it gave Ozzie Guillen a chance to run his mouth again.

Valuist
02-23-2006, 12:29 PM
I agree the Latin and Japanese teams want to win. And I'm also not sure these guys aren't already in game shape. Years ago, when guys used to work regular jobs in the off-season, that would be true. But w/the money that's out there now, the offseason means the weight room and treadmill. There's really no excuse to be out of shape physically. As for the pitchers, that's a whole different story. They definitely won't be ready to go many innings by that point in time.

chickenhead
02-26-2006, 11:53 PM
I'm not gonna break down the Giants...they will break down all on their own. Sabean just loves old guys. If they could all mostly stay healthy we'd be in pretty good shape.

IF:

Niekro
Durham
Vizquel
Feliz

Not much to say about these guys...Niekro has a little pop which is nice, Durham claims he'll be healthy...Omar is Omar (which is great) and Feliz is unfortunately Feliz.

OF:

Alou
Bonds
Winn
(Finley)

Just way too old and brittle, Alou is talking about playing less games, Bonds will play maybe 100, Finley is 40 something....

Starting Pitching:

Schmidt
Morris
Lowry
Cain
5th starter, no idea...some joke

not bad...certainly better than in the last few years, IF they stay healthy.

Benitez and a bunch of semi functional middle relief..

Its a team of very aged formerly and to some degree still productive players, mixed in with some young questionable ones....I just don't think they will hold things together. They are certainly good enough to win the West, if they stay healthy and the pitching holds up.

mainardi
02-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Seems like every day some "name" player is staying home.

It's already a non-story, losing more relevance by the day. :D :lol:

If I really care much for baseball any more, I'd really be mad about this WBC mucking up spring training... but I now find the horse races more interesting on their worst day than baseball on its best day. ;)

Valuist
03-02-2006, 12:59 PM
I have to think Selig is more concerned with marketing than he is with the image of the game. And I don't believe for a minute he didn't know all those guys were on steroids. He just looked away. The All-Star game determining who gets home field for the WS is ridiculous. Interleague play seemed like a good idea at first but there's too much of it; fine to keep Yanks/Mets, Cubs/Sox etc but Milwaukee/Tampa Bay who cares? I'm not sure what the point is of this so-called "world championship".