PDA

View Full Version : Gumbel

dav4463
02-22-2006, 02:54 AM
Why is it OK for Bryant Gumbel to put down the Winter Olympics because there aren't any black athletes? If he doesn't like it, he doesn't have to watch, but it is really out of line to laugh at the athletes saying they can't be the best because they are all white and it looks like a GOP Convention. If a white guy said anything similar like for example during the NBA All Star Game he would have been fired and forgotten just like Jimmy the Greek.

GaryG
02-22-2006, 07:11 AM
That is just the way it is. Charles Barkley can say he hates white people and he is just "being Charles". But you know what would happen if the colors were reversed. Maybe some of the left leaning members can shed some light on why this is. :lol:

GameTheory
02-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Barkley has never said that to my knowledge. And pretty much everyone already thinks of Gumbel as one of the world's great a-holes, so I think he just gets ignored....

chickenhead
02-22-2006, 11:53 AM
It was way out of line, he is an ahole but I thought he was smarter than that.

Personally I have a problem with things like ice dancing and snow boarding and even a few of the timed events....but the summer olympics has their fair share of questionable sports as well.

GaryG
02-22-2006, 12:00 PM
Come to think of it, that is why I stopped watching his show on HBO. Always about race, no matter the sport or who the guest was. Maybe this kind of phony controversy makes people watch/listen. I enjoy the "real" sports like speed skating and ski jumping. However some of the others bring to mind skateboarders. That red headed kid that won one of those events looks like he should be flipping burgers.

chickenhead
02-22-2006, 12:06 PM
I think a sport should be competetive by its nature to qualify...and require a certain amount of athletecism. There is nothing wrong with snow boarding per se, it can be fun to watch...but its not a naturally competetive sport, dittos for a lot of the ice dancing and figure skating. Some of the other like bobsled I just don't get at all....why is riding a tobogan down a hill a sport? It requires some skill I'm sure...and it is competetive....but does it require world class athletes?

Tom
02-22-2006, 01:22 PM
So what are we going to do about this?
"Affirmative Competition?"
Black luge team gets A 5 second start?
This guy is such a jerk it amazes me anyone hires him.
He is the kind of person you meet in a bar and punch in the face just becasue he is there.

rastajenk
02-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Also this past weekend, Wilbon wrote a column about the lack of white NBA All-Stars....who cares? What a non-issue if ever there was one. We'll get to color-blind society a lot quicker if people stop introducing race as a wedge where no wedge is needed.

dav4463
02-23-2006, 05:16 AM
I don't want to watch white guys play in the NBA if they CAN'T PLAY, but if they can, I'll watch them. I watch the winter olympics because I like it. They are the best at their sports. I watch the summer olympics too because I like it. How many white sprinters are they? Who cares?

Valuist
02-23-2006, 09:33 AM
There's actually a fairly decent number of white players in the NBA. Its just that hardly any of them are American born.

Suff
02-23-2006, 06:13 PM
. If a white guy said anything similar k.

:faint:

Never ever, under any circumstance (s) play the black mans game.

What if a white guy "said" "did" .....etc.......

listen to what I'm telling you. Never play that game. Its bad for business

toetoe
02-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Suff,

If the mental ghetto where SOME famous black fools live is serious enough to deserve a battle, shouldn't we try to help them out of it, windmill-tilting though it is? God, even Donovan MacNabb, a seemingly decent, WELL-EDUCATED(!) athlete, has gone off the rails. We're in bad shape.