PDA

View Full Version : Computer is sloooooooooow

lsbets
02-22-2006, 01:44 AM
Had a power outage tonight that shut the machine down. Since the power has come back on, the computer is working slooooow - I feel like I'm using a 286 again.

I'm thinking it might have restored some stuff I cleaned out of my startup and I remember someone had posted a while ago a site where you could check all the processes to remove the ones you don't need. Does anyone remember what that site is?

lsbets
02-22-2006, 02:27 AM
I found the site sysinfo.org There were only a couple of unwanted things in there, but in the process I also figured out an activex problem I've been having with McAfee updates for a while, so at least I feel like I've been productive to a degree as I wasted the last 3 hours of my life on this friggin computer. :bang:

AwolAwolAtPA
02-22-2006, 03:41 AM
hi IsBets,

Which OS?

if you have XP, then try System Restore to before the crash.

also, RUN msconfig and Disable StartUp stuff.
--applies to Wdw 98, 95 and XP.

and suggest remove the McAfee to confirm if the virus scanner is in a loop and overloading the CPU.

will give more details, if you have not know about the above or concerned about the risks of the Disable.

also, WHEN is this happening?
eg, at startup or when on internet or ??

also, try ScanDisk and Defrag.
ie, maybe a damaged file is giving a program problems.

duane

KingChas
02-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Try this nice little program.Downloads in seconds,then go to control panel and you will see a new icon for startup.Be careful what you uncheck. I wouldn't advise clearing exe. files but if you do just recheck them.
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7976,findid,49984,00.asp.

Ps; THIS IS FREE