PDA

View Full Version : Standardization of Saddlecloth Colors

QuarterCrack
02-21-2006, 11:35 PM
Does anyone know when the saddlecloth colors became standardized? You know, 1=red, 2=white, 3=blue etc. etc.
I saw some footage of racing from only a few years ago and all the saddlecloths were the same color - I don't think it was a stakes race or anything like that.
I only got into the game about 3 years ago, so the common colors are all that I know. For some reason, I thought the colors were standardized like 10 years ago, but it doesn't appear that way. It looks like it's only been a few years.
I've tried to look it up online but haven't had much success.
I'm sure someone here will know... thanks for your help.

DJofSD
02-22-2006, 12:18 AM
They are not standard in the sense colored clothes must be used. The best example is the Breeder's Cup (now, what's the new name again).

A local weekend sports and racing radio program has a campaign to get the BC Ltd. folks to use the color saddle clothes but with no luck so far (obviously).

Some of the color schemes and numbers leave a lot to be desired. I can never really be sure if I'm looking at the 8 or the 11. Or is it the 1 and the 8. Whatever.

kenwoodallpromos
02-22-2006, 05:35 AM
I think harness shades or colors mayu be different.
In Ca the colors on raciing pigs are standard but I think the same guy runs them all. Are all Magna tracks the same? CDI?
Is BC color blue for Bluebloods?:D

delayjf
02-22-2006, 10:50 PM
I have no idea were the standard colors came from, but back in the 70s when I used to go to the smaller Nebraska tracks in Lincoln, Grand Island, Columbus and Souix City, they all used the same color codes with jockey silks.
Did they possibly come from the dog tracks.

Personally I don't mind occasionally bowing to tradition and using the old style one color saddle cloths.

Figman
02-22-2006, 11:07 PM
Nov. 8, 2000: The New York Racing Association announced that it would begin using the color-coded saddlecloths adopted by many other racetracks around the country.

GaryG
02-23-2006, 06:30 AM
The harness head numbers are different, but I think these are the dog racing colors used forever. I think they detract from the different silks and would prefer uniform saddlecloths.

QuarterCrack
02-25-2006, 01:05 AM
Nov. 8, 2000: The New York Racing Association announced that it would begin using the color-coded saddlecloths adopted by many other racetracks around the country.

That's interesting.
So, I wonder today in 2006 if a track wanted to go to all black saddlecloths, if there is any rule or regulation saying they can't.
I don't think I've seen a track that doesn't follow the color convention. It makes me curious if there is an actual regulation about it.
The quote above makes it sound like it's optional.
Interesting.

JohnGalt1
02-25-2006, 09:55 AM
If my addled memory is correct, didn't Oaklawn years ago use red on all saddle cloths?

toetoe
02-25-2006, 12:11 PM
No white bandages before/after Labor Day? :D

weegee
02-25-2006, 12:59 PM
I may be the only person in the country to say this, but I preferred the old black saddle cloths. I had no trouble reading the numbers and they looked good. Now, sometimes I don't know what color I'm looking at, and I sure can't read the numbers on most of them.

TravisVOX
02-26-2006, 10:17 AM
I like the prestige of the BC keeping the purple/white. There's some things that just shouldn't change.

DJofSD
02-26-2006, 10:35 AM
The voice of Travis said: I like the prestige of the BC keeping the purple/white. There's some things that just shouldn't change.

Sounds like fodder for another poll!

QuarterCrack
02-26-2006, 08:29 PM
I agree - I think the Breeders' Cup should keep the all purple saddlecloths.
I do, however, like the standardized colors of regular day-to-day racing - it makes it easy to know which horse is which at a glance.

BIG RED
02-27-2006, 11:21 AM
I remember the last time I went to a harness track with my father I kept cheering the wrong horses :D . They're not the same as I'm used to. So, he just quietly told me to sit down and shut-up! :faint: