PDA

View Full Version : Sam Rubin

46zilzal
02-21-2006, 03:38 PM
The cherub faced old bike salesman passed away this week. His old John Henry just showed that BLOODLINES aren't everything. I am fortunate enough to have seen him run and have his MAIDEN win photo (believe it or not it was at 4.5 furlongs) at the now defunct Jefferson Downs, Kenner LA. He was owned then by Dorthea Madere and Colleen Lingo and was trained then by the WELL KNOWN Phil Marino.

SmartyParty
02-21-2006, 03:50 PM
You ARE lucky! I love that horse but never got to see him race. However, twice I've been to see John Henry at the Kentucky Horse Park. What a personality he has!

GaryG
02-21-2006, 04:53 PM
You ARE lucky! I love that horse but never got to see him race. However, twice I've been to see John Henry at the Kentucky Horse Park. What a personality he has!Well Smarty, you and I have both visited him more than Mr. Rubin. For all the millions JH made him he visited the old guy ONCE. And I don't believe he ever put a dime back into the sport. JH was located at the KHP by Ron McAnally and if it were not for him I believe JH would have gone the way of Exceller. I'm sorry but I can't mourn this guy like the other fine and classy gentlemen that have passed on in the last few days.

SmartyParty
02-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Well Smarty, you and I have both visited him more than Mr. Rubin. For all the millions JH made him he visited the old guy ONCE. And I don't believe he ever put a dime back into the sport. JH was located at the KHP by Ron McAnally and if it were not for him I believe JH would have gone the way of Exceller. I'm sorry but I can't mourn this guy like the other fine and classy gentlemen that have passed on in the last few days.

Did Sam Rubin ever own another horse? John Henry would be a tough act to follow. I spoke once to Ron McAnaly and when I mentioned JH, his eyes lit up and he really couldn't say enough about the horse.

GaryG
02-21-2006, 05:31 PM
Did Sam Rubin ever own another horse? John Henry would be a tough act to follow. I spoke once to Ron McAnaly and when I mentioned JH, his eyes lit up and he really couldn't say enough about the horse.As far as I know he did not. I just wish he would have bought a few more to at least put something back. I had a long talk with that lady that runs the Champions Barn and grooms John. She loves the old horse to death. Ron M grew up in an orphanage in No. Kentucky. He is as fine a man as you will ever find.

Wiley
02-22-2006, 01:35 PM
have his MAIDEN win photo (believe it or not it was at 4.5 furlongs) at the now defunct Jefferson Downs, Kenner LA.
Did you get the photo from Jefferson Downs? I used to go there a lot in the 80's and remember a win photo of John Henry's race from JD on a wall in the Grandstand, maybe the same one? Four and a halfers were half the card at the old bull ring by the lake.

46zilzal
02-22-2006, 01:52 PM
yes, bought it from the track photographer about 1985 seems to me

46zilzal
02-22-2006, 11:00 PM
here's that photo