PDA

View Full Version : Curt Gowdy

Tom
02-20-2006, 06:51 PM
...died today.

I remember two of his most infamous lines on NFL Football.

Refering to Ron Cox, kicker for the Vikings: "Vikes looking to score here...Cox coming out."

About Joe Nameth: "Joe's balls have been flutering all day."

RIP.....he was good.

Dan Montilion
02-20-2006, 07:20 PM
Gowdy was the voice of my childhood. Between NFL, MLB and The American Sportsman it was hard if you loved hunting, fishing and sports not to forget Gowdy. He called one of the best football games I every seen, the "sea of hands" game with Oakland Raiders pulling out a miracle win vs. Miami Dolphins. Man I can still hear it "he's looking, he's looking, he's under the gun..." Great stuff.

Usually don't respond to the these death threads but this one hits home. With in a year Bill King and now Curt Gowdy.

Tom, the Minnesota kicker was Fred Cox.

Dan Montilion

Steve 'StatMan'
02-20-2006, 09:10 PM
Ron Cox was a noted No. Cal. professional handicapper.

Always enjoyed Curt Gowdy. The Game The Week with Tony Kubek and later Joe Garagiola. NFL and before that AFL games.

Thanks Curt! Rest in peace (both Curt and the late Ron Cox.)

Tom
02-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Got them mixed up - thinking horses!:)

BIG RED
02-21-2006, 11:46 AM
I lived in Boston most of my life and this was the man I remember as a kid growing up. Red Sox games etc. But as Dan mentioned, I loved him in the American Sportsman show. Everytime I heard his voice, brought back good memories.
RIP Kurt

toetoe
02-21-2006, 03:45 PM
He was okay, but he made errors like those all the time. In fact, those weren't even errors. I can't recall one right now, but he was horrible in his later years.

Once, at a Raiders-Vikings preseason game at Berkeley's Memorial Stadium, I yelled as Fred Cox came on, "Cox, you SUCK!" A very nice gentleman had to remind me that was inappropriate. Somehow, and the reader will find this hard to believe, I just couldn't resist. :confused:

Suff
02-22-2006, 04:09 PM
I lived in Boston most of my life and this was the man I remember as a kid growing up. Red Sox games etc. But as Dan mentioned, I loved him in the American Sportsman show. Everytime I heard his voice, brought back good memories.
RIP Kurt

Hi Red

Gowdy was great. Called the sox from 1949to 1960. He called Ted Williams Last at bat Home Run. Did you know that the radio station WCGY in Boston was his property?

Gowdy was a classic who will be mentioned with the all-time greats for a long time.

Stevie Belmont
02-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Phil Mushnick had a nice article on Gowdy. They don't makem like they used to.
http://www.nypost.com/sports/62352.htm