View Full Version : ESPN: Payoffs at small tracks

karlskorner
07-17-2002, 02:41 PM
http://espn.go.com/horse/columns/misc/1405399.html

Jay Cronley, he makes light of some "truths" in handicapping

Dick Schmidt
07-17-2002, 05:23 PM
Damn Karl,

Keep this quiet! We don't want the whole world to find out about how cool the tiny tracks are! There is some serious money to be made here, especially if you bet offshore and don't impact the totes. There's gold in them thar tiny bullrings. Luckly the NYRA/SoCal snobs will never find it.

Dick

MarylandPaul@HSH
07-20-2002, 01:49 AM
"Ils sont parti" !! :D

MarylandPaul

cj
07-20-2002, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by MarylandPaul
"Ils sont parti" !! :D

MarylandPaul

Paul,

How does Delta Downs annotate "First Time Battery" ?

Have you seen the comment "Fog, waited, drew off" ?

CJ

Dave Schwartz
07-20-2002, 07:25 PM
CJ,

>>How does Delta Downs annotate "First Time Battery" ?

Have you seen the comment "Fog, waited, drew off" ? <<

Now that's funny!

Dave

JimG
07-20-2002, 07:37 PM
yeah...Trevor Denman should announce at Evangeline. It would be the absolute truth when Trevor would exclaim..."he looks like he dropped in at the 1/8th pole".

Jim

BillW
07-20-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Dave Schwartz
CJ,

>>How does Delta Downs annotate "First Time Battery" ?

Have you seen the comment "Fog, waited, drew off" ? <<

Now that's funny!

Dave

No, Dave ... that's true:eek:

MarylandPaul@HSH
07-21-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski

Paul,

Have you seen the comment "Fog, waited, drew off" ?

CJ

CJ,

No separate annotation needed for FTB (or, "Pile de Première Fois). Consecutive columns of double-digit beaten lengths suffice as notice.

I have not seen that fog comment....are you implying that there could be nefarious doings in the great state of Lou-zianna??! Why, the racing there is every bit as honest and upstanding as the elected officials!

Well, at least New Yorkers don't have to worry *cough*Barrera*cough* about the integrity *cough*Ferriola*cough* of racing there...

<g>

Paul

David McKenzie
07-21-2002, 12:15 AM
// Have you seen the comment "Fog, waited, drew off" ? //

It is funny.

It's also true. Read Exacta Expose to find out more about it.

BillW
07-21-2002, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by David McKenzie
// Have you seen the comment "Fog, waited, drew off" ? //

It is funny.

It's also true. Read Exacta Expose to find out more about it.

David,

I know ... just pullin Dave's chain.

Also Md Paul: Fog jr. is riding up on your circuit (PHA for sure, not sure about Md.)

Bill

Longshot
07-21-2002, 11:25 PM
I had many great nights at Delta Downs in the 80's. I could eat some of that wonderful shrimp fried rice right now that they served on the ground floor.
Talk by earlier post about the fog and funny races. One night the fog was so bad that the announcer could not call any of the races. A maiden race about half way through the card contained two grey horses. One was a first time starter for a no win trainer and they the other had finished last by 28 lengths in its only race.
The only announcement was "They're in the gate" then the bell sounds and nothing else until the horses came out of the fog into the lights about 20 yards from the finish. The 2 greys were 10 lenghts ahead. The $3.00 exacta paid over $6000.
Another night I had not cashed a ticket after 4 races while the lady at the table next to me was cashing every race. I asked her for help on the next race. She told me to watch the post parade and the jockeys would tell who the winner would be. During the post parade there was a larger than usual gap between 2 of the horses.She said to bet the horse on the backside of the gap. The horse won and paid $18.00.
We hit 3 straight winners and a place horse. In the 10th race there was no gap, but the 1 horse came out late. She said to bet the 1 horse and the son of a buck won . You better believe I look for the big gaps in the post parade anytime I play Delta now.
True Story
May the Best Horse Win,
Longshot

ranchwest
07-22-2002, 01:33 PM
Yeah, Delta is literally approximately 5 miles from the swamp, so fog is a big problem.

Longshot, I could tell some stories about Delta, but you'd probably be the only one who'd believe me.

I used to hang out there, too, so I bet we'd recognize one another if we saw each other.

Oh, and, uh, put a little more chives on that fried rice, please. :)

ranchwest
07-22-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski

CJ

The annotation is not as important as the meaning. At Delta, I think it means the electric whip was engaged this time.

Seriously, I saw an electric whip fail at Delta one time and the jockey threw it over the fence on the backside.