PDA

View Full Version : importing charts

LoveTheDouble
02-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea on how I might be able to import the NYRA charts into a spreadsheet?

NYRA CHART (http://www.nyra.com/chart/fullchart.asp?track=A)

I plan on following the NYRA circuit full-time once the racing at Aqu moves to the main track. I am looking at starting a website with some stats and stuff but need to be able to build a database and I really like the charts that NYRA provides.

Thanks for any help.

LTD

Murph
02-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Hello LTD,

Have you tried the chart data files from TSN or Bris yet? Use infotran to cull the fields you want to use then put them under your headings on a spreadsheet. Depinding on your D-base skill level you can extract all kinds of good stuff right off the results charts.

I tried to do this awhile back but hit the learning curve wall pretty quickly. A smart computer guy (I'm not one) could help you out better along those lines.

Murph

andicap
02-23-2006, 12:13 PM
Hello LTD,

Have you tried the chart data files from TSN or Bris yet? Use infotran to cull the fields you want to use then put them under your headings on a spreadsheet. Depinding on your D-base skill level you can extract all kinds of good stuff right off the results charts.

I tried to do this awhile back but hit the learning curve wall pretty quickly. A smart computer guy (I'm not one) could help you out better along those lines.

Murph

Hey Murph, I tried to register at your site but it wouldn't take my info, just kept giving me a blank registrtation screen. Are you not accepting registrations during your start-up phase?

Maxspa
02-23-2006, 12:17 PM
Andicap,
Can't help you with the charts but want to wish you good luck with your new venture!
Maxspa

Murph
02-23-2006, 01:02 PM
Hello Andicap,

I have a problem logging on in the morning some days, esp. between about 5AM and 7AM or so. I think it's due to the server processing results for the previous days races. It doesn't want to give up processing resources to allow for log ins. It's likely worse for a new sign up at that time. :rolleyes:

We definately are accepting new users! Please try again to register and if you still can't get in, we'll ask I.T. to look into it right away. The site is slowly beginning to grow and we expect some pains from this.

Thanks for checking us out and please, post or e-mail Tony or I with any comments or questions that arise. The log in delay has only been a minor annoyance so far.

BTW Everyone is invited to check out our site! Not perfect, but we feel we are definately ready to share with everyone here at PA.

Sincerely, Murph

railbird
02-24-2006, 12:17 PM
hi murph;

Been to your site ,registered,and viewed your reports which seemed interesting even though I could not find a explanation for a few columns

However went back today and could not get past the sign in window.

I've been barred from places but at least I got in first to deserve it.

railbird
02-24-2006, 12:19 PM
murph ;

Never mind I'm in .

thanks
lou

Lou G
02-24-2006, 01:24 PM
Last I looked, TSN does not offer chart data files. HTML files are free but must be parsed by software to be usable in a program ( a thankless job). Don't know about Excel but OpenOffice spreadsheet will import HTML directly (so say the docs, haven't tried it).

thebeacondeacon
02-24-2006, 02:50 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone have any idea on how I might be able to import the NYRA charts into a spreadsheet?

NYRA CHART (http://www.nyra.com/chart/fullchart.asp?track=A)

I plan on following the NYRA circuit full-time once the racing at Aqu moves to the main track. I am looking at starting a website with some stats and stuff but need to be able to build a database and I really like the charts that NYRA provides.

Thanks for any help.

LTD

I went to that URL and had pretty good luck copying and pasting the chart data into an open Excel worksheet. It seemed like a tedious, but not impossible, chore to edit from there to Access or whatever table structure you are using for your DB.

A far better solution is to write a piece of software that reads in the source file for the charts one line at a time, recognizes the HTML tags, strips them and parses the data for output to your DB.

I have such a work in progress, but have been a little too busy to see it through to completion.

LoveTheDouble
02-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the input. I am actually only looking to capture the section that begins with the "last st" through "finish" data and the "trainer" section.

I've been looking at some Perl and Ruby programming so I may be able to do something in the near future.

On another note...I am starting a website about the NYRA races so if you get a chance stop by and give it a look. Not much to look at now but I'll try to do better.

If you can help with my importing charts question, I'd be very grateful.

LTD

the_fat_man
02-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the input. I am actually only looking to capture the section that begins with the "last st" through "finish" data and the "trainer" section.

I've been looking at some Perl and Ruby programming so I may be able to do something in the near future.

On another note...I am starting a website about the NYRA races so if you get a chance stop by and give it a look. Not much to look at now but I'll try to do better.

If you can help with my importing charts question, I'd be very grateful.

LTD

Perl is definitely the way to go.

Shouldn't be too difficult to parse the BRIS or TSN HTML files
pull out the data, do some conditional sorting, and load into an Excel or Access file.

Perl works well with Excel.

Light
02-28-2006, 05:21 PM
If you use Excel,you can go >Data >Import external data>New web query. That will open a browser in Excel. Then navigate to the page you want to download. There will be several arrows Excel places on the web page pertaining to the various sections of the web page. Just click on the arrows pertaining to the data you want and only that data will be imported.

highnote
02-28-2006, 11:12 PM
I clicked on the "Printed Version" button. Then right clicked on the page and selected import to Excel. It needs some formatting, but it loaded in.

raybo
03-15-2006, 04:12 PM
I, also, use Infotran to arrange the comma delimited chart files from Bris and shoot them into my Excel spreadsheet program. Once you figure out how the control file works, its a snap. Old technology , but, works fine. Then with the use of a few macros you can automate whatever you want to do with the data.

the_fat_man
03-15-2006, 04:19 PM
I, also, use Infotran to arrange the comma delimited chart files from Bris and shoot them into my Excel spreadsheet program. Once you figure out how the control file works, its a snap. Old technology , but, works fine. Then with the use of a few macros you can automate whatever you want to do with the data.

Ray

Excel macros (as is) can handle sorting columns from lengths ahead to beaten lengths (at a given call)?

Which is really the heart of the issue, IMO

raybo
03-15-2006, 04:53 PM
the_fat_man said: "Excel macros (as is) can handle sorting columns from lengths ahead to beaten lengths (at a given call)?"

You would have to use some formulas to derive beaten lengths from lengths ahead. Then record a macro, or write it using VB, to sort by B/L's.

I use Infotran to get the data into the spreadsheet and then do my calculations inside the spreadsheet to arrive at the numbers I want to use for determining whatever I need to determine. The macros just automate your actions when they need to be repeated. If you know VB you can do wonders with macros in Excel, much more than is possible by simply recording them. If you need to get some code for a particular macro, visit the boards dealing with Excel and post your problem, with row and column information, if possible, and someone will write the code for you. Tell them what you are trying to accomplish and they can send you in the right direction. I've never taken a class on Excel but have over 13 MB of data, other than the downloaded racing data, in my handicapping program, much of the automation in it was gotten from those boards.

Alan Wight
03-15-2006, 09:34 PM
If you need to get some code for a particular macro, visit the boards dealing with Excel and post your problem

Do you mean these newsgroups:
microsoft.public.excel.programming

comp.apps.spreadsheets

raybo
03-16-2006, 03:19 AM
Alan, that would work I'm sure. I'm not sure exactly which ones I used in the past, I just went to the MS website and did a search, I think. There are some pretty smart people who frequent those groups. A VB group could probably help too because that's the language used. But since it's being used in Excel, an Excel group would be the obvious route.