PDA

View Full Version : Rose and Ritchey to Split

bobphilo
02-19-2006, 01:13 AM
I hear that Jeremy Rose and Tim Ritchey may be going their separate ways because Rose has been taking off of Ritchey’s mounts at the last minute to ride Zito’s horses without proper notice.

Rose riding to Ritchey's brilliant instructions in the Preakness and Belmont was the best trainer-jock combo I've seen in a long while. Rose is good at following the instructions of a great tactician like Ritchey. Zito is way far from being anything like a brilliant tactician. Rose will regret not doing right by Ritchey.

Bob

Pgh. Gere
02-19-2006, 01:56 AM
It's a shame, they made a good team and Ritchey stuck by him too. Guess the chance to ride for Zito has great $$$ex appeal.

Indulto
02-19-2006, 04:17 AM
I didn't read anything about the last-minute take-offs, but if Rose wants to go to NY like Desormeaux, now that Bailey is gone, Zito is the best source of higher purse mounts there outside of Pletcher. It make sense that Zito who focuses on Triple Crown events would want a proven quantity like Rose.

Should we feel worse for Tim Richey or for Jim Pegram who was just canned by Gomez following a lull in Gomez' amazing comeback. Anybody have any further insight into Gomez' thinking?

Indulto
02-19-2006, 06:04 AM
Brother Derek's work postponed By STEVE ANDERSEN 02/18/2006
http://www.drf.com/news/article/72292.html (http://www.drf.com/news/article/72292.html)

‘The changes among jockeys and their agents continued over the weekend when jockey Garrett Gomez hired agent Ron Anderson and jockey Kent Desormeaux hired agent Jim Pegram.

Anderson, who has been based on the East Coast in recent years, previously represented Hall of Fame jockey Jerry Bailey, who retired last month.

Pegram previously represented Gomez, but was fired by the jockey earlier this week. Gomez said on Thursday that he had hired agent Bob Meldahl, but reversed course on Friday and hired Anderson. Meldahl will continue to represent Corey Nakatani.

"I did a bit of homework and I felt like this was the right move," Gomez said.

Desormeaux said earlier this week that he intended to relocate to the East Coast, but Pegram said that Desormeaux will now remain in California.

"I told him I thought I could help him," Pegram said. ‘

BIG49010
02-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Ritchey with only 13 starts at the meet, was lucky to have Rose ride for him.

Rose has been a big surprise for me at GP. I am on the bandwagon :jump:

Doc
02-19-2006, 11:14 AM
This isn't the first time that Rose and Ritchey have split. About three years ago he sacked Rose off all his horses, then they reunited again. Ritchey was the one who gave Rose his start in the business...I have a feeling this tiff won't last long.

JustRalph
02-19-2006, 12:51 PM
Rose riding to Ritchey's brilliant instructions in the Preakness and Belmont was the best trainer-jock combo I've seen in a long while. Rose is good at following the instructions of a great tactician like Ritchey. Zito is way far from being anything like a brilliant tactician. Rose will regret not doing right by Ritchey.Bob

you are joking right? Great Tactics? I could have instructed him on that horse.

And I don't know crap about training horses. It is pretty damn easy when you have a horse that is that much better than the rest of the field and the field isn't 17 wingnuts getting in your way (can you say Derby Day?)

Any half way decent rider could have won those races...............

Indulto
02-19-2006, 02:00 PM
JR,

Not the Preakness!!!!!!

JustRalph
02-19-2006, 02:34 PM
JR,

Not the Preakness!!!!!!

you might have a point there. But still, I don't think there was any magical tactics employed in those races. The horse was just damn good..........

Indulto
02-19-2006, 05:35 PM
What did Jim Pegram say to keep Kent Desormeaux in California?

My guess is that Pegram peddles positive thinking. Gomez needed it last year and Kent's needed it for several years now. KD sure had the magic touch for a long time. What is he doing wrong now (or isn't doing)?

I wonder whether Anderson talked to Gomez before or after he decided to go with Meldahl. Gomez is enjoying bi-coastal popularity now and Anderson can add NY contacts to those Gomez already has in CA. Will Gomez move to NY now and become Jerry Bailey's successor in all ways?

It's fun to speculate on these "marriages". Do all jockey agents speak in the first person?

Indulto
02-20-2006, 01:54 AM
Bailey's Former Agent to Represent Gomez By Claire Novak
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=32257 (http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=32257)

‘. . . Gomez said he was surprised at Anderson's interest since he didn't have the agent in mind when he fired Pegram.

"I've been very fortunate in the past year, but I really felt like I needed an agent who would have the same kind of goals I have – to maintain my career and start to take it to the next level," the jockey remarked Saturday evening. . . .’

‘. . . "It was a great feeling to get one Breeders' Cup race, let alone two," said Gomez, who won the NetJets Mile (gr. IT) aboard Artie Shiller and the Bessemer Trust Juvenile (gr. I) with Stevie Wonderboy while with Pegram in 2005. "We worked really hard to get to that point, and now that I've tasted it, I want to do what it takes to stay up there. . . .’

‘. . . Gomez initially considered hiring Bob Meldahl, but changed his mind after hearing from Anderson. Meldahl said he would continue to represent Corey Nakatani. . . .’

Indulto
03-14-2006, 08:19 PM
Baffert four deep for San Felipe By JAY PRIVMAN
http://www.drf.com/news/article/72792.html (http://www.drf.com/news/article/72792.html)

“…Desormeaux taking agent to N.Y.
As he had promised last month, jockey Kent Desormeaux is leaving Southern California to ride in New York full time at the end of this month. But he will be taking along his new agent, Jim Pegram, rather than pick up New York-based Steve Adika, whom Desormeaux previously had said would work for him when he went to New York. Pegram became available when he was fired by Gomez a month ago. He landed Desormeaux, who parted ways with agent Tommy Ball.

Pegram is the eighth agent to represent Desormeaux in the past 9 1/2 years. Desormeaux came to California from Maryland in 1990 with Gene Short, and they were together until the summer of 1996. Since then, however, Desormeaux has had a slew of agents come and go - Ron Anderson, Brian Beach, Tony Matos, Tom Knust, Brad Pegram, Harry Hacek, and Ball.

Jim Pegram is the father of Brad Pegram and the brother of Mike Pegram, for whom Desormeaux won his first Kentucky Derby in 1998 with Real Quiet. Jim Pegram has been based in Southern California for years.

With Jerry Bailey having retired, and Anderson, his agent, having come to California to represent Gomez, Jim Pegram said he and Desormeaux believe there is opportunity in New York. "Bailey retiring has opened up some avenues," Jim Pegram said. "We're leaving here on March 29, and Kent will ride there through Thanksgiving."