PDA

View Full Version : Wagering

LutherCalvin
02-18-2006, 11:33 AM
Just curious, fellas: I know you guys keep elaborate records and such on your wagering, and your bets vary, but on avarage how many bets do you make a day? Do you specialize in in one type of wagering such as win betting or playing exotics?

kenwoodallpromos
02-18-2006, 12:45 PM
I make 10-12 bets per week. I spend much more time researching and learning.
I have different types of bets for different situations. I have low-odds early speed for predictable races; multiple longshots for more unpredictable types; spot plays; and full handicapping for live racing and learning new use of factors.

sjk
02-18-2006, 12:54 PM
On a Saturday I average 30 races bet with 4.5 bets per race nearly all exactas. On the other days less depending on how many tracks are running and how much time I have to play. Overall average 22 races per day.

You are not getting much response. Sometimes I wonder how many are actually betting races and how many just like to talk about it.

Dave Schwartz
02-18-2006, 12:56 PM
Typical day:

12 tracks, 7-8 races per track,
2-5 win bets per race
10-30 exacta combinations per race

sjk
02-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Typical day:

12 tracks, 7-8 races per track,
2-5 win bets per race
10-30 exacta combinations per race

And you still find time to talk to your customers. Good work.

Dave Schwartz
02-18-2006, 01:50 PM
LOL - I actually have a partner who does the wagering.

When I play for fun (which is about 2 days per week) I play 5 or 6 tracks, same number of races per track but only for about 90 minutes or so.

Without the rebates, I play 2-3 horses per race to win and 2-6 exacta combinations.

It is a lot more fun like this.

Dave

Vegas711
02-18-2006, 03:40 PM
I just bet to win sometimes i will bet win / place on a high odds horse. 90% of my bets are one horse win bets.10 % of the time I bet win/place. I bet 5 to 7 races a day.
The problem with exotics is that you can fall into the trap of betting too many combinations. Some of the players I sit with will key a horse with 4 or 5 horses in an exacta box if they cash, a lot of the times all they are getting is 3-1 for their money which they can get by betting to win.

If you do decide to do the exotic play I would recomend going for the larger payoffs that you get with tris. Most players in my opinion who bet exotics need to hit a thousand dollar bet or more to break even at the end of the year.Hitting $ 75.00 exactas or $ 300 tris is going to get you killed at the track, if you are going to play low % bets make sure you get paid for it. If I ever where to play an exotic bet again which I doubt, it would be on a bet paying atleast $ 1000.

twindouble
02-18-2006, 04:24 PM
This is almost funny when I think about what I've done over the years. Why? Because I never thought about how many races I wagered on in a day, week or month. Had nothing to do with anything early on in my experience or today for that matter. In most cases I take the card in hand, if it produces, one race or 5 that I deem playable so be it. On the other hand, like Dave Schwartz there's times when I just want to have fun playing the game. What the heck, with experience and a little luck it's a blast sometimes, plus it gives me a healthy attitude about what I'm doing.

Back in the "Old days" the twindouble consisted one 4 races to handicap and one wager, that alone was my primary wager for the day, if I felt solid on a key horse within that play with value then I'd bet it. When horses I've been following or on my watch list showed up in other races, then I'd bet, ESP in the DD.

T.D.

kitts
02-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Three tracks per day, 2-3 win bets. Sprints only.

Have hit win rate of 16% pretty much every year since I started tracking it which was early 90s and the bulk of the profir is from low price claimers. With a 16% win rate, I must be a longshot player and tolerate those losing streaks.

shanta
02-18-2006, 05:58 PM
but on avarage how many bets do you make a day? Do you specialize in in one type of wagering such as win betting or playing exotics?

2 tracks a day

bet about 4-5 races per card on avg / 8-10 races bet per day

Win bets almost exclusively

wager an exacta maybe once in 2-3 cards

Richie

GaryG
02-18-2006, 07:06 PM
Two tracks, always medium sized, with an average of 3 plays per track. All bets to win except in unusual situations.Favorite tracks: Fair Grounds, Tampa and Monmouth.

douglasw32
02-18-2006, 07:26 PM
One or two races a day almost always the Feature, and any good undercard...bet to WIN/PLACE equal amounts. usually $20 bucks.

Fast/Firm is about the only restriction, Sprints and Turf are better for me.

Binder
02-18-2006, 07:35 PM
I always wanted to be able to do this

for the first time I can :)

Since 01/01/06

64 Two horse win bets
11 exactas Almost always a key box 1 more horse over 2 win bets
7 Place bets
4 Show bets
1 DD
1 Pick 3

Valuist
02-18-2006, 11:11 PM
3 tracks either 3 to 4 days a week. Mostly exotic wagers, primarily P3s and exactas. Prefer field sizes of at least 8 betting interests; definitely prefer turf over dirt, and dirt routes over dirt sprints.

dav4463
02-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Four or Five win bets x two tracks, occasionally three tracks. 8 to 15 bets....about half are two horse win bets....

Two or three exacta bets per track with six to twelve combinations per bet

One or Two trifecta bets per day...usually 2x4x5 horses....sometimes 1x5x6 horses.

Zman179
02-19-2006, 08:08 AM
I prefer to play no more than one track at a time, three tracks a day, and preferably on the half-mile trotter tracks like Freehold. Concentrate mostly on trifectas where I'll maybe play a three-horse box or key and some heavy cold combos. On pick threes, I'll generally play a 1x2x2 with some cold combos as well; and I'll only play the races where I have a strong opinion in either the tri or pk3. It's worked for two years now as I've been able to show a profit.