PDA

View Full Version : Turf and Sport Digest

Doc
02-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Does anyone here know if this magazine is still published? If not, was it morphed into another publication, or did it just fold? I used to really like reading it.

Doc

Overlay
02-17-2006, 03:43 PM
It still comes out monthly. Here is their website:

http://www.americanturf.com/

Overlay
02-17-2006, 04:02 PM
Disregard that last post. (I read the words "Turf and Sport Digest", but by the time they got to my brain, they had somehow changed to "American Turf Monthly".)(Darn, it's tough to get old! :D)

I used to buy every issue of Turf and Sport Digest, also, but it ceased publication in 1984.

Doc
02-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks, Overlay. That's what I thought, especially when I couldn't find a web site. I used to enjoy Turf and Sport Digest - good articles on horses as well as handicapping.

Overlay
02-17-2006, 04:21 PM
If I remember correctly, it was after Turf and Sport Digest folded that American Turf Monthly upgraded its appearance, format, and issue size (in terms of pages) considerably, to more closely resemble the way Turf and Sport Digest used to look. Prior to that, I seem to recall that American Turf Monthly had a thinner, "pulpier", "tip-sheet" look to it rather than that of a mainline periodical. (Pardon me if my recollection is wrong.)

Tom
02-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Overlay,

I think that was a different mag - can't remember the name, but they had a book they advertised Money Makes the Mare Go, stuff like that.
I have some old ATM and they are high quality, then they got cheap - plain porous paper, etc. Whe T&S folded, ATM, I think, brought in some new blood and they brought it back to high qual.
I'll look to see if I can find when and the isssue that talked about it.

GaryG
02-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Overlay,

I think that was a different mag - can't remember the name, but they had a book they advertised Money Makes the Mare Go, stuff like that.
I have some old ATM and they are high quality, then they got cheap - plain porous paper, etc. Whe T&S folded, ATM, I think, brought in some new blood and they brought it back to high qual.
I'll look to see if I can find when and the isssue that talked about it.I think you mean Turf Guide. I l;oved T&SD, the fiction was entertaining as well, of course I was very young and easily entertained...:rolleyes:

Tom
02-17-2006, 05:15 PM
TG - that's it.

BIG49010
02-17-2006, 05:30 PM
I remember it back in mid - 80's and then never saw it again. I think I have an old addition with Snow Chief on cover winning Preakness.