PDA

View Full Version : High Chaperall...

Bubbles
07-16-2002, 07:40 PM
Hey...

Anyone have any opinions on High Chaperall, the winner of the Epsom and Irish Derbies? I think his move in the latter was great. I just hope Aiden O' Brien doesn't make the same mistake he did with Galileo. Any other opinions?

cj
07-16-2002, 07:48 PM
Most of the European punters are of the opinion that Hawk Wing is the better O'Brien 3yo, for what its worth. Perhaps we have a Euro version of Sunday Silence-Easy Goer.

I get to watch racing from England live every day here, quite an eye opener, and hopefully I have learned some things to apply to Euro shippers when I get back.

CJ

rrbauer
07-16-2002, 08:10 PM
CJ:

Come October, we'll want to plug into your notebook. Any chance you're taping those races?

cj
07-16-2002, 08:12 PM
No, but its a good idea. I'll start taping any of the stakes races they show.

CJ

andicap
07-17-2002, 04:37 AM
I was lucky enough to see High Chapparel in person at Leopardstown outside Dublin in April.Of course I have no idea of the quality of the field he beat, but I sure am rooting for him now.

Bubbles
07-17-2002, 11:36 AM
Hey...

So most people think Hawk Wing is better than Chaperall? This horse wins both the Epsom and Irish Derbies, making a big move at the Curragh in the latter, and people still think O' Brien has a better horse in his barn? This is either really hilarious or incredibly scary.

ceejay
07-17-2002, 02:05 PM
Bubbles:

Not all of the Brits are calling Hawk Wing a super horse yet. The following is from a horseman friend of mine in England:

Hawkwind (sic) duly obliged in the 'Eclipse' on Saturday. Not a spectacular race at all. I find it amusing how quickly the press attribute the description 'wonder horse' to one of these horses. I think that description belongs to a horse that is able to put in regular and consistent winning performances in Group races on not too narrow a range of surface conditions. To hype a horse that then gets beaten twice from three attempts is plain nuts! Triple Crown winners deserve the title in my book.

The Eclipse had only 5 starters one of whom was Hawk Wing's stablemate (Sholokhov) who was wheeled back six days after the Irish Derby and was the only "threat."

cj
07-17-2002, 04:28 PM
I agree, but Hawk Wing was hardly fully cranked for that race.

High Chaperall did beat him quite decisively in the Darby. That's why I made the Sunday Silence-Easy Goer comment, it didn't look like a fluke to me, just the better horse winning.

CJ