PDA

View Full Version : Funny business at gulfstream todays 9th race

point given
02-15-2006, 10:17 PM
OK, so I happened to be close to the track today, and happened to catch most of the races. Now, its before the 9th race and the jocks and the connections are all waiting in the walking ring and its 10 minutes to post. A security kid comes out of the saddling area and tells them something, all the connections and jocks leave . Its 7 minutes to post , no announcement is made and i go trackside, the horses start to come on track, but not a real post parade, they all gallop by and go right to the post. Now , its a nice 75 degree day, no rain, and its a bunch of 45k maiden claimers. The 1 horse who never had a 1 in his running lines in his short life and been off 4 monthes goes to the front and never looks back running 6F in 1:09.2 . TO me , it was a highly suspicious occurance.
Now add to this the timing malfuctions which the track has never addressed and you have one arrogant track. It smells like week old fish ! I'm looking for other tracks to play.

stablehand
02-15-2006, 10:22 PM
looked like the best horse on paper..... i had 200 to win on him so maybe i'm biased........his debut at Saratoga was a key race and his works looked just fine for a short layoff.......

point given
02-15-2006, 11:47 PM
looked like the best horse on paper..... i had 200 to win on him so maybe i'm biased........his debut at Saratoga was a key race and his works looked just fine for a short layoff.......
I took another look at the pps. at the Saratoga race and see what you mean. I use the BRIS pps and the names of the horses are shortened, and when i looked at the DRF with full names, the fabled and high cotton shouted out. Glad to see someone here had it. Nice score ! I do alot of inspection with the horses and didnot like the way they skipped the ring and post parade. I bet lightly do to this.

BIG49010
02-16-2006, 09:12 AM
Mr Retsof SG1, rushed to press outside, tired 3 early T

Logic Had this trip note, so I figured horse would be close in this bunch. Nick is on top of it.

I had small bet in this spot.

BIG49010
02-16-2006, 09:13 AM
This happened in the Key race at Saratoga

Valuist
02-16-2006, 09:27 AM
The difference between a Mdn Sp race at Saratoga (and a key one at that) and a M45 is ginormous.

the little guy
02-16-2006, 09:47 AM
The horse had run twice since his debut, including a total flop in his last start in a 50K maiden claimer at Belmont in early October. I'm not saying he couldn't be bet, just trying to offer a slightly more accurate picture of his pps.

Had his debut been his only race he would have paid $5.80. But it wasn't.

Valuist
02-16-2006, 09:51 AM
OK. I didn't have pps or handicap the race.

WINMANWIN
02-16-2006, 01:49 PM
The horse had run twice since his debut, including a total flop in his last start in a 50K maiden claimer at Belmont in early October. I'm not saying he couldn't be bet, just trying to offer a slightly more accurate picture of his pps.

Good Points Andy but he did run against some nice horses 1st and 2nd time out, Horses that came back and Won next time out as mentioned, He did Cost $100,000 K Dropping from 50 k to 40 k in a Lackluster field, He did have a WIDE TRIP TO NOWHERE LAST RACE ;) and Barbara's High ROI with Jockey Tommy Turner aboard were clear signals in my Mind. :ThmbUp:

the little guy
02-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Hey...Wide trip to nowhere is my line!

I realize there may well have been good reasons to bet him. I just wanted his entire picture to be clear...i.e. he didn't have one career start against a strong firld of maidens at Saratoga ( I'll reserve my opinion on whether or not it was a " key race " ).

DerbyTrail
02-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Uh.. Mark me down in the "what are you talking about?" category...

I gave him out on top Tuesday night on "At the Races" and on my DerbyTrail website as well... With Turner-Barbara producing huge returns, he was almost obvious as a key horse. High Fly's brother Giant Basil was the one I couldn't see...

GP 9: $45k Mdn-Clm, 6f (Late Double)

Brutally tough race with several first-timers and decent comebackers...

1. Mr Retsof (12-1): Turner-Barbara have enormous mutual return history
10. All About Heart (7-2): May be lone speed
12. Lord Buckeye (6-1): Post diminishes appeal of Lord Carson with Raphy
3. Magnify (5-1): Tiger Ridge bay's 9th try, but seems to be getting there

the little guy
02-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Giant Basil was the only horse I have bet this week.

He's super turf bred. The Verbasle family is major turf and the horses throughout the line have moved up huge on the grass.

DerbyTrail
02-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Giant Basil was the only horse I have bet this week. He's super turf bred. The Verbasle family is major turf and the horses throughout the line have moved up huge on the grass.

Well.. you're a dollar late and Superfecta short to help EITHER of us Andrew...

If you would pony up to Derby Trail, you could have alerted the faithful and married Basil up to my quad, and we'd all be waist deep in hookers and Cristal right now!

On another note o' woe... I also left Vikrant out of the nightcap Super box, my last cut, after tabbing Green Line and the rest. Super pay? $45,000... Goofy day. I did catch a big Late Double with Retsof-Green Line though ($320+)...

the little guy
02-16-2006, 02:29 PM
I'm not THAT late, I did make money in the race, just not as much as I would have had Giant Basil won.

If you need me to tell you that family is all turf then you're in trouble. Don't tell me you just went on that " Zito doesn't win on the turf " angle.

DerbyTrail
02-16-2006, 03:11 PM
No.. Just out thinking myself. Was there for his previous start, watched it with Charlotte in fact the same day she won the Marshua's River later on the card... He was hung out wide. It was the race that On Board Again won at a ridiculous price... Just had him too far down the list. Worst part was that I liked Wherethewest a BUNCH, and had the next two behind Basil as well... No excuse.

WINMANWIN
02-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Hey...Wide trip to nowhere is my line!

I realize there may well have been good reasons to bet him. I just wanted his entire picture to be clear...i.e. he didn't have one career start against a strong firld of maidens at Saratoga ( I'll reserve my opinion on whether or not it was a " key race " ).

Yup Andi, thats your line, Kudo's to you, cause It's a good one, Its better than saying NON-TRY, WORK-OUT, OR STIFF :mad: But he did run against
Fabled who Zito trains and is not to shabby, Anyone that ran against Fabled is a KEY RACE IN MY BOOK, 8 1/4 off him, Saratoga Mdn race. High Cotton was 3rd in that HEAT and CAME BACK TO WIN at Belmont. I didn't use formulator to look up those races, but from memory, they appear to be GOOD.

JustRalph
02-16-2006, 04:28 PM
If you would pony up to Derby Trail, you could have alerted the faithful and married Basil up to my quad, and we'd all be waist deep in hookers and Cristal right now!:lol: :lol: nice.........

point given
02-17-2006, 01:40 AM

very true and an accurate assessment. While everyone is all over the angle here on it, the fact remains that they completely skipped the walking ring and post parade for the race ! With maidens, this draws alot of suspicion from me. That and the fact that geldings arenot usually announced or for that matter myectomies. So here we have the dual angles of who he ran against in NY and and trainer/jock $$ angle. without seeing the horses prerace. To me , it stunk !