PDA

View Full Version : Hall of Fame

SmartyParty
02-13-2006, 06:53 PM
The Hall of Fame nominations were released today with lots of great nominees! I will be in Saratoga for my first time there on that very Monday. Is it possible to attend the ceremony? How do I get tickets?

the little guy
02-13-2006, 07:07 PM
It takes place at the Sales Pavillion and is open to the public. No tickets are necessary. I'm reasonably sure the downstairs is reserved but you can access that balcony area.

SmartyParty
02-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks, TLG, you just made my day!

kenwoodallpromos
02-13-2006, 10:21 PM
Any comments on the chances of these 2 getting in? I hear they were very good.

the little guy
02-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Any comments on the chances of these three getting in? I hear they were very bad.

Ron
02-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Ha, ha, lucky for us its not nearly as popular as say...the NFL Hall of Fame inductions. I take the public's access to the sports greats for granted.

kenwoodallpromos
02-14-2006, 02:40 AM
I haven't heard of Herb. As to Jean, I see on Google Seattle Slew but nothing about the jockey's career.

PaceAdvantage
02-14-2006, 02:41 AM
I haven't heard of Herb. As to Jean, I see on Google Seattle Slew but nothing about the jockey's career.

:eek:

the little guy
02-15-2006, 08:33 PM
The announced list are NOT the nominations. The nominating committee will be meeting soon and announcing a list of THREE actual nominations in each category in approximately two weeks.

speedking
02-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Any comments on the chances of these three getting in? I hear they were very bad.

Cruguet is best known for his success aboard Seattle Slew, but for most of his career he was best known for his skill on turf. Just like Samyn in the old days, Cruguet was based in NY and excelled on the grass. He was a very strong rider with a good sense of pace. HOF material? Might get the nod because of the Triple Crown.

"Hollywood" Herb McCauley was a fixture in NJ for many years and repeatedly won the riding title at Monmouth. Set a number of NJ records for wins at various tracks that have since been broken, I believe. As well known for his marital discretions as his riding abilities. HOF? This has to be a joke, right?

speedking

the little guy
02-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Excelled on the turf? You were in NY in the late 70s weren't you? Perhaps you forgot him driving Flying Waters, a Euro-superstar of Angel Penna's, into the eighth pole in the Sheepshead Bay and killing her.

As for Herb McHauley, I will be nice, and just say I didn't trust him.

the little guy
02-15-2006, 11:05 PM
And by the way, Cruget and McHauley have absolutely zero chance of making the Hall-of-Fame, nor will they ever be nominated.

speedking
02-15-2006, 11:11 PM
Excelled on the turf? You were in NY in the late 70s weren't you? Perhaps you forgot him driving Flying Waters, a Euro-superstar of Angel Penna's, into the eighth pole in the Sheepshead Bay and killing her.

As for Herb McHauley, I will be nice, and just say I didn't trust him.

TLG, I just can't recall the horse or incident. I wish I could. I never cared for Cruguet or his wife, but statistically I thought he posted good numbers on the grass. As for Herb, you nailed it and that's all I'll say.

speedking

kenwoodallpromos
02-15-2006, 11:21 PM
This thread has actually taught me a little interesting history I would not have otherwise known.
Having not been into racing befor 1998, All I know about prior to that is tidbits I pick up or reading.
There is a Brown Bess race at GGF or BM; and Best Pal I have heard a few things about. Most of the trainers I know of is from reading and most I know of jockeys are those that are already in the HOF. But you members here are the best source of interesting actedotes!