PDA

View Full Version : Going to Bay Meadows, any advice?

OTM Al
02-13-2006, 01:59 PM
So my girlfriend and I decided to head out of town Preakness weekend and go somewhere we've never been to watch the race. We settled on Bay Meadows as neither of us have been to the San Francisco area before. Booked a flight into San Jose on the friday before. Going to the track Saturday at least and got tickets for the Giants-A's game Sunday afternoon in Oakland. Other than that, no definite plans yet, so was wondering if anyone had advice on good things to do while we are there. Have not booked a hotel yet either, so any good ones anyone knows would also be appreciated.

Sailwolf
02-13-2006, 02:05 PM
So my girlfriend and I decided to head out of town Preakness weekend and go somewhere we've never been to watch the race. We settled on Bay Meadows as neither of us have been to the San Francisco area before. Booked a flight into San Jose on the friday before. Going to the track Saturday at least and got tickets for the Giants-A's game Sunday afternoon in Oakland. Other than that, no definite plans yet, so was wondering if anyone had advice on good things to do while we are there. Have not booked a hotel yet either, so any good ones anyone knows would also be appreciated.

Are you talking about Golden Gate or what? Bay Meadows race track is not running.

JustMissed
02-13-2006, 02:20 PM
Are you talking about Golden Gate or what? Bay Meadows race track is not running.

According to my schedule the Preakness runs May 20, 2006. Bay Meadows should be running that day or at least have simo.

JM

chickenhead
02-13-2006, 02:21 PM
I sent you a PM with some more suggestions, I'm assuming the fares are cheaper into SJ? You're going to be doing a fair bit of driving for a short weekend...I'm assuming you want to stay in the city....I'd contemplate flying into Oakland or SF if at all possible, I wouldn't want to be driving back and forth to SJ for no real reason.

qhrick
02-13-2006, 02:22 PM
I spent many a spring at Bay Meadows during race meets

You have many choices you can make re: lodging / eating / sightseeing

A few thoughts:
We always frequented the Van's reataurant. Many racetrackers go there. The owner is/was?? very race track oriented. It's right by the track
Haven't been there in years but website is:
http://www.thevansrestaurant.com/

As far as lodging, no specifics but Bay Meadows is on the Peninsula, which is a decent distance ( 30 miles or so ?? ) from dowtown Frisco. If you want to be in the heart of the tourist area, like Fishermans Wharf, etc, you may want to look into something downtown San Fran, like something near the wharf

Too bad the bball game isn't in San Fran instead of Oakland. I've been to the new park and loved it. Having been to game at candlestick, it's a huge upgrade. Oakland Coliseum a poor 2nd choice if you had the luxury to pick

some sightseeing I enjoyed over the years in/around San Fran
- Alcatraz / Angels Island tours
- Fishermans Wharf, just watching perfomers, Pier 39, the seals
- Maybe the best collection of old antique coin op games I've ever seen. Free entry and you can play all the old games. If you happen to like that kind of stuff, a must. Can't remember name but right on the wharf near the landmark Alioto's restaurant
- Lombard St, the famous winding road
- just across the Golden Gate bride to the north is Sausalito, an artsy community. lots of shops, etc. Go further north and you reach the Redwood forests.
- San Fran famous for restaurants, prob best to read reviews

Have fun!

chickenhead
02-13-2006, 03:38 PM
If you stayed in the area I suggested, here are some things you could do in a day comfortably:

Get up -- walk down a block into Little Italy, have a capuccino and italian pastry for breakfast. Stroll around during the morning checking out :

City Lights Bookstore -- birthplace of the "Beats" http://www.citylights.com/
Condor Club -- notorious first topless bar (now a sports bar but still a neat place)http://www.mistersf.com/notorious/index.html?notcondor03.htm

this being the Italian section, lots of great old Churches to look inside. You'll hear plenty of italian being spoken all over.

stroll up a block or two now you're in Chinatown, check out the markets and little stores.

If you want to do Fishermans Wharf I'd go their next, look for the Bush man and check out the street theater, eat some nice seafood for lunch, pretty touristy there but the food is good, nice views of the bay.

When you're tired of that, you gotta go to the Haight to look at the freaks, stop in at Martin macks my fav Irish pub and get some refreshments and meet some friendly people, the bar owners own a couple of horses that race locally. GG park starts where Haight ends, so a good time to see the park, lots to do if you're interested: http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/ggpark.shtml

Dinner, your choice, to many options to name. Good food everywhere.

After dinner drinks -- Union Square, check out Lefty Odouls and the Gold Dust.

rrbauer
02-13-2006, 03:45 PM
I sent you a PM with some more suggestions, I'm assuming the fares are cheaper into SJ? You're going to be doing a fair bit of driving for a short weekend...I'm assuming you want to stay in the city....I'd contemplate flying into Oakland or SF if at all possible, I wouldn't want to be driving back and forth to SJ for no real reason.

I don't think it matters where you fly into. It maybe cheaper to fly into SJ than SFO, but I'd definitely stay in the city. San Mateo is a 30-40 minute drive from there as is the Coliseum on the other side of the bay. There are lots of hotels in all price ranges in SF. And, plenty of good restuarants. I always try to work in the North Beach Restaurant (on Stockton) when I'm there. It's not trendy but their spaghetti carbonara with a nice steak is to die for!

If you're not into the city scene, then you could stay somewhere close to San Mateo (Burlingame, etc.) and use the San Mateo bridge to get across the bay to go to the ball game. That way you would be close to Bay Meadows.....

Blackgold
02-13-2006, 05:37 PM
I've stayed at the Atherton Hotel in the Tenderloin district. It's a 30's art deco type place and you can walk to some local jazz clubs.

I've also stayed in Pleasanton, but think that's a hike to Bay Meadows.

It's a small track, so you may opt for the Pleasanton OTB.

Good luck!

Sailwolf
02-13-2006, 06:08 PM
According to my schedule the Preakness runs May 20, 2006. Bay Meadows should be running that day or at least have simo.

JM

May 10th through June 18th is Bay Meadows spring meet. They are changing the schedule with GG from year to year.

JustRalph
02-13-2006, 09:58 PM
I think Scioto Downs is open during that period. I would go just about anywhere before I spent a damn dime in San Fran.

Just me..............

kenwoodallpromos
02-13-2006, 10:59 PM
" Coral Reef Motel and Suites is located on Park Street (a main street in Alameda) across from South Shore Shopping Center, and is just 100 yards from the beach. It has 37 guest rooms and 52 suites. All have kitchenettes or full kitchen. Some suites are island lagoon. Complimentary breakfast in lobby is available everyday. Outdoor heated pool. The motel has a garden setting, private parking, shopping facility, and restaurants in nearby area."
Only lightlife in alameda is small bars with live music and other small venues with plays, etc. Cozy and quiet. A's ballpark is 1 mile away. Carrier Hornet is here and Oakland airport has a small old plane museum.
Racing form is in the liquor store at Fruitvale + Internatinal Blvd Oakland, very close.Email me if you want Alameda websites or events later.

Murph
02-14-2006, 01:27 AM
Nice thread going here... has me day dreamiing of a vacation I could take in CA.
Then I have to step into this:

I think Scioto Downs is open during that period. I would go just about anywhere before I spent a damn dime in San Fran.

Just me..............

The most prolific board poster on this thread jerks me right back to the cesspool I stand in to make a living. All I need now is for "the monkey" to chime in and agree with you!

Just for a reality check -
Dale Earnhardt is DEAD! (His favorite son is brain dead.)
Columbus Ohio IS DEAD! (Just compare 30 yrs ago.)
Scioto Downs - DEAD!

Ralph, why did you feel the need to detract from these enjoyable posts of valuable information with an off topic blast like this? Is this the way you've been able to craft nearly 7,000 posts on the board?

This thread isn't concerned about the folks who DO NOT care to visit San Francisco, only those who are. If you want to remain in the toilet and bet the bangtails at your craptrack ... go ahead.

I just wish you didn't feel the need to flush the rest of us down the pipes with you.

Murph

ratpack
02-14-2006, 04:00 AM
You could also stay at the Best Western in Millbrae, CA it about 7 miles from Bay Meadows and 20 miles from SF.

The reason I bring up the Best Western it has a semi-famous bar it was used in the scene in "The Right Stuff" where the underwater pool can be seen while sitting at the bar.

I stayed at the hotel all the time when I traveled up North on business it was lots easier to land in San Jose for me.

Anyway just a thought.

JustRalph
02-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Ok, Murph. First you go after CJ and then Tom. I won't fall for your crap. Let me explain.

People who have been around here for a while know that my Avatar changes weekly and it is usually topical in nature. It is speedweeks at Daytona and the 5th anniversary of Dale Earnhardt's death. Nascar is doing a little thing about it on their website etc. Therein lies the mystery of my avatar.

On to the topic. If someone wants to give their valuable money to Frank Stronach and support a city that has single handidly injured our country to an extent that is unprecedented, fine. But the fact that the rest of the country ignores what San Francisco is/has been to our country, doesn't preclude me from commenting. The city should be considered a pariah, it's not. So be it. I got my dig in.

Comparing Scioto Downs to San Fran was albeit minor humor at best. I haven't attended Scioto Downs in years......but I am sure it doesn't compare to most other venues. The fact that MTR gaming now owns it, doesn't make me think they have done much with it. The comment was used to illustrate a point.

As for your obvious troll antics. Go away. Tom and CJ didn't fall for it and I won't either. I suspect you have a previous moniker and are just back for more of your type of fun. Good Day............

kenwoodallpromos
02-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Bay Meadows Land Co. LLC, the owner of Bay Meadows racetrack in San Mateo.
Stronach does not own BM and BM is in San Mateo, not in the city (and COunty) of San Francisco.
The original post asked about a hotel to stay at, not what SF sites to see. So far OTM Al's main activiteis are not in SF.

JustRalph
02-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Bay Meadows Land Co. LLC, the owner of Bay Meadows racetrack in San Mateo.
Stronach does not own BM and BM is in San Mateo, not in the city (and COunty) of San Francisco.
The original post asked about a hotel to stay at, not what SF sites to see. So far OTM Al's main activiteis are not in SF.

Mea Culpa. Thanks Ken. I thought Stronach the wonder man owned it. Then go have a ball.......:D But stay the hell away from San Fran.....including the Giants and their super steroid slugger.........just kidding.........

toetoe
02-14-2006, 08:45 PM
JR,

I condone your crime, except that the motive is WEAK! I grew up in Berkeley, and it was the most wonderful place to live. Light may agree that it's still pretty nice. I presume you would tar it with the same brush used on Frisco. A city of 600,000 is too broad a target, don't you think, unless you lived there your whole life, and just noticed a bad vibe? :)

As to accommodations, SF is nice and cozy, with BART service right to Oakland's ballpark. Neighborhoods to hit: Mission for Mexican and Central American food, lots of coffee shops, Noe Valley and Union Square for food, bars, shopping. North, over the GG Bridge, skip the tourist trap of Sausalito, continue to Mill Valley, Muir Woods, even Stinson Beach, Bolinas, Inverness, Pt. Reyes Staion, GG National Seashore Headquarters (lots of trails, beaches) in Marin County. :ThmbUp:

Someone mentioned Pleasanton. It is about equidistant from BM and GGF --- 45 minutes or so, I think. It has a Bart station, but not tons to do.

JustRalph
02-14-2006, 09:29 PM
I have other reasons for not being a fan of frisco.....they are not worth getting into............ I will put my broad brush away. I take your word for it Toe

kenwoodallpromos
02-14-2006, 10:38 PM
Stronach owns GGF- I think his motto is "Fast tracks and short fields"!LOL!!
I just call the whole area BayCity. But if I have to live in BayCity, Alameda is the best for convienence and a small town feeling.

toetoe
02-14-2006, 10:47 PM
Ralph ... :ThmbUp:

Ken,

Tons of Raiders fans in Alameda, which is ... fine. Yeah, cool. :eek: :D

PaceAdvantage
02-15-2006, 03:05 AM
Nice thread going here... has me day dreamiing of a vacation I could take in CA.
Then I have to step into this:

The most prolific board poster on this thread jerks me right back to the cesspool I stand in to make a living. All I need now is for "the monkey" to chime in and agree with you!

Just for a reality check -
Dale Earnhardt is DEAD! (His favorite son is brain dead.)
Columbus Ohio IS DEAD! (Just compare 30 yrs ago.)
Scioto Downs - DEAD!

Ralph, why did you feel the need to detract from these enjoyable posts of valuable information with an off topic blast like this? Is this the way you've been able to craft nearly 7,000 posts on the board?

This thread isn't concerned about the folks who DO NOT care to visit San Francisco, only those who are. If you want to remain in the toilet and bet the bangtails at your craptrack ... go ahead.

I just wish you didn't feel the need to flush the rest of us down the pipes with you.

Murph

There's only room for one sheriff in this town.....I suggest you bone up on the following:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/TOS_PrivacyStatement.html

Murph
02-15-2006, 01:16 PM
There's only room for one sheriff in this town.....I suggest you bone up on the following:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/TOS_PrivacyStatement.html

Absolutely PA!

I want to apologize to everyone for knowingly causing a negative distraction, it was a knee-jerk reaction that I made too quickly. In hindsight it would have been more prudent to politely ignore this offending post as others (likely smarter than me) had done. My additional comments are posted in the Off Topic - General forum area.

Murph
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=252977#post252977

PaceAdvantage
02-16-2006, 12:13 AM
Murph, you're being completely unfair, and are starting to peeve me off a bit.

This was JustRalph's statement quoted verbatim:

I would go just about anywhere before I spent a damn dime in San Fran.

From that, you take offense? How is that offensive on the surface? I know that I will probably never spend a damn dime in Idaho......SO? Does that offend you also?

I don't get it. It seems to me that you are looking to pick a fight with JR based on his off-topic posts. Need I remind you that NO political talk of any kind is allowed on the horse racing sections of this board.

Ralph did NOT elaborate as to why he wouldn't spend a damn dime in San Fran until you pressed the issue. This is not off-topic....remember that.

Taken at face value, JR's statement was innocuous, IMO.

chickenhead
02-16-2006, 12:51 AM

I think Murph was out of line with his response, that it's important to let the little things go by rather than to get into all out grudge match mode in the middle of General Handicapping....but Ralph was baiting with that statement, no doubt...maybe you don't see it that way Ralph, but that was just a big sign post for "This thread is gonna get ugly, off-topic 1/4 mile ahead"...you know that.

PaceAdvantage
02-16-2006, 12:56 AM
I think Murph was out of line with his response, that it's important to let the little things go by rather than to get into all out grudge match mode in the middle of General Handicapping....but Ralph was baiting with that statement, no doubt...maybe you don't see it that way Ralph, but that was just a big sign post for "This thread is gonna get ugly, off-topic 1/4 mile ahead"...you know that.

This would be true only if you are a reader of off-topic and disagree with Ralph in off-topic. If you've never been to off-topic, would you have the same opinion of that statement about San Fran?

chickenhead
02-16-2006, 01:01 AM
I think if I was having a conversation with a guy on the street about a trip he was planning to San Fran....and a third guy walked up, heard what we were tlaking about, and said "I'd never spend a damn nickle in that city"...yeah I would assume some political overtones...there is just a tad of venom, even with no other context. I think.

PaceAdvantage
02-16-2006, 01:19 AM
Well, you may have a point....however, this place was never about nitpicking threads to death, and creating auxillary threads to handle discussions about the people involved in the MAIN thread (see Boxcar longshot thread as an example).

It's all getting so bizarre....I've been saying it a lot lately....people need to STEP BACK and stop launching into immediate ATTACK or DEFEND mode the split second they smell any whiff of injustice in another person's comments.

I will handle all the obvious fouls....anything less should be seriously considered before evolving into another tedious debate that adds nothing to this side of the board.

Murph
02-16-2006, 01:52 AM
Murph, you're being completely unfair, and are starting to peeve me off a bit.

This was JustRalph's statement quoted verbatim:

From that, you take offense? How is that offensive on the surface? I know that I will probably never spend a damn dime in Idaho......SO? Does that offend you also?

I don't get it. It seems to me that you are looking to pick a fight with JR based on his off-topic posts. Need I remind you that NO political talk of any kind is allowed on the horse racing sections of this board.

Ralph did NOT elaborate as to why he wouldn't spend a damn dime in San Fran until you pressed the issue. This is not off-topic....remember that.

I can't disagree with that last statement. The content of the post didn't offend me at all. The context and placement in that thread did though. I over reacted to it.

I'm trying to apologize here, not make a mistake into a disaster. I took offense in the fact that "I" saw that post as a deliberate distraction. It contributed nothing useful to the subject being discussed. It was contrary to the request of the thread starter.

I doubt if Al will reconsider his vacation visit because JR does not care for the area he chose to enjoy. I was simply interrupted in my thoughts by that post and it perturbed me.

There are off-topic posts here everyday, it's not fair to single out any one person for doing it. Especially by making an additional outrageous off-topic post.

It is not unfair to point out when this happens and ask that it be curbed. Frankly I'm suprised more people have not found a way to communicate this to others.

I didn't stop long enough to consider who the creator was (personally) or that there could have been some relative meaning to the subject for the folks posting their experiences. That was wrong on my part.

It's wrong to flame anyone in the manner that I did. I was out of line and I won't let it happen like that again.

Murph

PaceAdvantage
02-16-2006, 03:56 AM
Very good Murph. Now, let's get back to talking about horses!

Tom
02-16-2006, 08:12 AM
I actually have San Fran on my wish list of vaction destinations. I would like to re-trace the path of the infamous Zodiak serial killer of the late 60's - 70's.
Fascinating story that actually played out in my senior year of high school and college years. It made all the papers and TV news. I am a bit afraid, though, that I might into him in the woods near Lake Merryessa, still lurking out there.
And I would definately stop in to the track while I was out there :p

Macdiarmadillo
02-16-2006, 09:39 PM
OTM Al, you'll be able to get to the ball game via BART (Coliseum station stop, right there, per Toe Toe's post), and also Bay Meadows via CalTrain (Hillsdale stop, right there) or via BART from SF and a change to CalTrain at Millbrae. In fact, I recommend it rather than driving yourself and fighting traffic.

Forget the grandstand at Bay Meadows unless you want to experience "Les Miserables" in the flesh. The clubhouse is just fine.

Tom, actually The Zodiac toured the entire area, so you could, too.