PDA

View Full Version : Maximus Play!

Maxspa
02-09-2006, 01:03 PM
All,
"Maximus Play" is a software horseracing product produced in Canada by K.Tex Engineering LTD. Their website is www.k-tex.ca and explains in detail some of the information given here and specifically how to operate the software. For those of you that have the urge to go one step further they have a demo that you can download to experience the nuances of "MP's" design and procedure.
One of my objectives is to see if this product will allow an average handicapper, with some computer skills, the opportunity to express his or her ideas in a computer program. The first person that comes to mind is "Andicap" who has lots of great ideas but doesn't have the time to develop his own computer software. Could he use this program to develop and test some of his racing expertise? Secondly, what encouraged me to try the software? It was the speed-evaluation profile that is based upon competitiveness and fitness. Plus the challenge of finding some profiles (based on winning factors-the program will help you find them)that you can add to your handicapping arsenal.
I've already suggested one change to the developer. Presently it only uses DRF files and in order to be viable for most handicappers other options like TSN and BRIS files would appreciated. IMHO, the cost of the software is reasonable at $180.00.
This project will be a challenge and as always I will post some program picks prior to the races and keep track of the results. In this test I will use the default profiles for part of the evaluation and then include some ones the program has generated for part 2. February 19th will be the target date and the choices will be on the selection board.
Maxspa

jk3521
02-09-2006, 06:35 PM
Maxspa,

You are a whiz at finding new software to sample! Will be very interested in your findings on the latest one.

Maxspa
02-09-2006, 06:49 PM
JK,
I just realized another software title with "Max" Believe me it is just a coincidence.
Maxspa

Maxspa
02-10-2006, 12:52 PM
All,
I downloaded "Maximus Play" which took about an hour! The directions were clear and in about five minutes after the downloading took place, I was able to install the program and become familiar with the various components and options that the software has to offer.
My next step was to download some Formulator Basic files and begin my real handicapping experience. Little did I know it would take me almost the same amount of time. A couple of years ago I had created a user name and password, so the DRF process would not allow me to create another one. Luckily I found my old user name and password, and was finally able to get some files.
After exporting the files from the DRF Formulator program, I was able to work on today's Aqueduct and Tampa Bay Downs programs. At this point Im not interested in handicapping results. It's strictly to explore what the program has to offer and the processes necessary to get that information. The First round of selections will be forthcoming probably February 19th.
Maxspa

Hosshead
02-10-2006, 08:34 PM
Thanks Max for your continued effort in "Prospecting for Capware".

In looking at their website and in the "Results Of Maximus Play", something looks kinda strange:

Woodbine:
1. All Races at 1 mi. or more.
2. Wager on First Pick to Win

Del Mar:
1. All Races at 1 mi. or more.
2. Wager on Third Pick to Win

The "Pick" that is used to wager is Either Pick 1,2,or 3 ? :confused:

At this early point I look forward to the evaluation by Max.
Always have an interest in hearing about new handicaping sw on the horizon.

I won't even mention the B word ( backfitting ) ;)

Maxspa
02-10-2006, 09:29 PM
Hoss,
There are many ways to gather data and utilize the findings in this software. Included are a couple of speed and fitness methods plus the Profile section which is based on finding winning combinations. I will use the speed and fitness methods in the first week's selections. Then after a break of a week, partly to collect enough data, I'll post the profile selections.
I really have no idea, at this point in time, whether the software will produce positive results. We all know two weeks at two tracks is not enough to do justice for the program or the handicapper but we will have a better idea of its value. If it's good enough it should be beneficial to different types of betting patterns.
Maxspa

Maxspa
02-11-2006, 06:29 PM
All,
IMHO using speed alone is not going to make you a handicapping genius.
There are other significant factors that will help you determine the importance of speed. One is, how competitive has the horse been lately. What about the horses workouts, do they play a role in the horses performance? Class is another important part of the puzzle.
One of the ways "Maximus Play" addresses the the above situation is to try and find out the importance and inter relationship of these factors.
Will it work? The developer has some interesting statistics on his web site that are positive in this regard. He also adds that one need to be patient and look at the results by using a large number of races. He uses 100 races in his example. Interesting ideas!!
I've had several questions regarding the program and its operation and so far the developer has been very supportive with his help!

Maxspa

Maxspa
02-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Hoss,
After some interaction with the developer, I can answer your question regarding betting picks with some substance. The developer is very easy to communicate with and he has written at length regarding how his program operates and in a small part, some of his philosophy regarding his approach to betting horses. He approaches handicapping from a different viewpoint than most of us do in that he will analyze results and then proceed to bet accordingly. He looks for trends and if the third pick is showing a profit, he will play the third pick until his research tells him the third pick selection has run its course and is not profitable. You and I will stick with the first pick because all the performance factors point out this horse. He on the other hand is a contrarian, in that, he is not bound by performance rules and can rely on his ability to interpret trends his software has shown. In fact he says "You really should use this software over a 6 month period to get acquainted with this kind of evaluation process.
He is very proud of his work and this project IMHO is really his way of relaxing and having fun. Selling handicapping software is not his livelihood and whether he sells another program or not is not the issue. He simply loves the handicapping challenge and uses his area of expertise to try and solve the scenarios associated with it.
Maxspa

ryesteve
02-13-2006, 06:50 PM
if the third pick is showing a profit, he will play the third pick until his research tells him the third pick selection has run its course and is not profitable.
Call me a skeptic, but chasing short-term counter-intuitive trends sounds like a bankroll killer to me.

Maxspa
02-13-2006, 09:53 PM
RyeSteve,
The developer played Santa Anita this year and had a run of third picks that were terrific profit makers. I'm relating this information for a couple of reasons. One, it is a different approach somewhat like overlay betting with a twist. Third picks often pay good prices thus you don't have to hit a 35% win rate to make a profit. Secondly, his approach could not be successful without his finely tuned program. His plays are based upon his research and his innate ability to use computer printouts and use the specific trends they project.
There's no way I can do what he does with this software! This week has been quite a learning experience for me! I'm trying to learn to learn the basic program operations by using the tutorials included in the program and the additional information the developer has provided.
Like other reviews I've done, I try to present the facts and let the people on this board make up their own mind regarding the software's value
and how it might be incorporated in their own handicapping approach.
Maxspa

andicap
02-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Max,
you are a real mensch.

:ThmbUp:

Maxspa
02-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Andicap,
Thank you for the compliment. I had to look up the meaning of the word and as a result I learned something new today besides how to use "Maximus Play".
Hope you and the family are okay! You got hit hard by the snowstorm!
Maxspa

betchatoo
02-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Max:

Just curious. How come you never did a review on JCapper?

Maxspa
02-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Betchatoo,
J Capper had a lot of exposure on this board. Several J Capper users including me were contributors and along with Jeff's comments the software was well publicized. One of the reasons I purchased JCapper was your positive comments about the program. It's a good one. There are similarities between J Capper and Maximus Play.
Maxspa

shanta
02-14-2006, 07:06 PM
RyeSteve,
The developer played Santa Anita this year and had a run of third picks that were terrific profit makers. I'm relating this information for a couple of reasons. One, it is a different approach somewhat like overlay betting with a twist. Third picks often pay good prices thus you don't have to hit a 35% win rate to make a profit. Secondly, his approach could not be successful without his finely tuned program. His plays are based upon his research and his innate ability to use computer printouts and use the specific trends they project.
There's no way I can do what he does with this software! This week has been quite a learning experience for me! I'm trying to learn to learn the basic program operations by using the tutorials included in the program and the additional information the developer has provided.
Like other reviews I've done, I try to present the facts and let the people on this board make up their own mind regarding the software's value
and how it might be incorporatd this ed in their own handicapping approach.
Maxspa

Max,
For years Doc Sartin showed how the third ranked choice was for MOST users the profit making tier especially for longer priced horses.

good stuff!
Richie :)

Maxspa
02-17-2006, 12:52 PM
All,
The selection process with "Maximus Play" begins Sunday February 19th. I will handicap Aqueduct and Santa Anita Sunday through Saturday. In all fairness to the developer, the program would produce better results with the following three steps. One a database of races from the present meet and/or two
a database from last year''s races. I have neither, so please take into consideration my limitations as I
post the selections.Three the suggested 100 race model established ( so you don't run into short term successes or failures) will obviously not be met either. Each day I will post the selections and keep a cumulative total for each track.
At the end of the selection process, I will review "Maximus Play with my opinions regarding the strengths and weaknesses of the program and how it relates to handicapper types.
Maxspa

Maxspa
02-19-2006, 09:08 PM
All,
Opened up with a winner at Aqueduct $3.80 that's usually a good sign!

Cumulative Results
3 bets $6.00
1 winner $3.80 one second and one third
Loss $2.20

Maxspa

Maxspa
02-20-2006, 10:09 PM
All,
Aqueduct-Monday February 20th

Four plays:
Race I-Main Stream- Won -$10.80

Race 3-Sir Gallant - Won -$13.80

Race 7-Ruling Star - Won -$ 7.90

Race 9-Gold Tango- 4th

Maximus Play-Super Day

Maxspa

Maxspa
02-22-2006, 09:47 PM
All,
Maximus Play horses for Aqueduct and Santa Anita will be in the Selection section Thursday, Friday and Saturday! Hopefully the program will break the ice at Santa Anita.
Final review of the program will be posted next week!
Maxspa