PDA

View Full Version : OUTRAGEOUS!!

Observer
02-08-2006, 10:56 PM
I should have known there was no way it was going to be abolished in this country. This makes me sick ..

Horse Slaughter to Continue (http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=32105)

Tom
02-09-2006, 12:30 AM
Agree. Truly disgusting.

DOA is run by sick people.

kenwoodallpromos
02-09-2006, 12:35 AM
The process is slow and incremental at best. Since most slaughtered horses are other than racehorses, the alternative appears to be shooting them in the head and burying the carcass on the property; A horse bought by a slaughterhouse can be $1,000 so there is a money motive for the seller.

Zman179
02-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Don't say anything unless you're a vegetarian, otherwise you're being hypocritical. You can't object about horses being slaughtered and then later eat a steak or a burger. What, cows don't have feelings?
I'm not too crazy about horses being slaughtered either, but they are being used for food.

PaceAdvantage
02-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Don't say anything unless you're a vegetarian, otherwise you're being hypocritical. You can't object about horses being slaughtered and then later eat a steak or a burger. What, cows don't have feelings?
I'm not too crazy about horses being slaughtered either, but they are being used for food.

I totally, 100% disagree. Why not say the same thing about cats and dogs? Other countries use dogs for food....I don't think you'd dare call anyone a hypocrite for saying dogs should NOT be slaughtered for food.

Yet, in our culture, DESPITE the fact that WE do NOT consume horse meat for food, HORSES ARE BEING SLAUGHTERED, IN OUR COUNTRY, for human consumption in other countries.

If anything, THAT is hypocritical!

JulieKrone
02-09-2006, 11:22 PM
No, I fully agree with Zman:

Most of us are basically herd who unthinkingly follow along in trends and philosophies, and in that process performing some strange rituals. We don't do a good enough job of shaking off a lot of myths handed down by our basically uneducated and ignorant parents: most folk don't improve their breed(proof is they stay average and lead mediocre lives). They should be questioning everything and learning to think for themselves. Examples/questions/food for thought:

1. Why eat one animal and not another? Who decreed one animal is cute / lovable and not another, even though almost identical in look & lineage?

2. Clothing: why do Western men squeeze their tonsils out with their office attire rather than donning Middle Asian attire?

WWWHHYYYYYY??????????????

PaceAdvantage
02-10-2006, 12:17 AM
Ok, you disagree with me JK. Why? The law in our culture is that horse meat is NOT to be consumed by human beings. Why is it then ok to SLAUGHTER these animals and sell them as food to OTHER countries? Is this not the epitome of hypocrisy?

Why is this not akin to slaughtering dogs in order to sell to Korea or China? Would you accept a dog slaughterhouse in the USA as long as it only shipped the meat to countries where eating dog meat is accepted?

BTW JK, I am assuming you are a resident of the USA....if not, I guess this exchange is moot....

toetoe
02-10-2006, 11:10 AM
PA,

I think they simply mean, why treat horses as "sacred cows," when they're just on the same lower order of animals? Does anybody know why horsemeat is "carne non grata" in the USA? Is it considered unhealthy? :confused:
... Don't get me wrong -- I LOVE horses, WAY more than whales, maybe puppies, even. :)

Ron
02-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Horses mean so much to the American dream and American spirit ...

http://www.augustafreepress.com/stories/storyReader$22955?print-friendly=true

so.cal.fan
02-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Observer,
I share your distress on this issue.
However, you must consider the fact that people in the U.S. are becoming more evolved in respect to animal rights. (sadly, our elected officials have not kept up with us, yet).
This terrible situation will eventually be eliminated. I really believe that, I hope you will too.
As recently as 20 years ago, people wouldn't have cared as much.
There is progress, Observer. Please keep writing your elected officials and protesting this outrage....so will I. When enough of us start screaming loud enough, they eventually hear us.
By the way, with the exception of my Rat Terrier, Girly, people in my home are vegetarians. We consume nothing with a face.

JustRalph
02-10-2006, 01:50 PM
We consume nothing with a face.

Wow! You opened yourself up for a gazillion jokes with that line....out of respect for you as a lady...........

I will refrain from the ten or twelve that are running around my head..........:D :lol: :bang: :bang:

I sure hope Tom doesn't see your last post...........:eek:

so.cal.fan
02-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Okay, to all the comedians on board:

Thank you in advance for not posting any off color comments.......

Observer and I would sure hate to have PA add you guys to our IGNORE list!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

kenwoodallpromos
02-10-2006, 02:35 PM
"Currently 24,000 wild horses and donkeys are housed in government-run facilities.

These animals live in poor conditions that often lead to their deaths, and without proper management this will continue to happen," said Montana Republican Senator, Conrad Burns.

The senator attached an amendment to a spending bill that allows for the outright sale, for slaughter, of wild horses and donkeys older than ten years old and animals that have been unsuccessfully offered for adoption at least three times.

The bill, which passed in December, removed restrictions that had been in place since 1971 and prevented wild horses from being sold commercially."

JustRalph
02-10-2006, 05:26 PM
"Currently 24,000 wild horses and donkeys are housed in government-run facilities.

Damn Free loading Democrats! ;)

kenwoodallpromos
02-10-2006, 07:42 PM
The article says the Feds sending wild horses to slaughter was outlawed in 1971, when the President signed the bill. That was NIXON! Bush just reversed that and the Feds can now copllect $500-$1,000 off any wild horse they decide to send. But then again. regardless of how bad Nixon was, he was not a rancher! (Oh yeh, neither farmer Carter or rancher Reagan reversed it!)

CryingForTheHorses
02-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Ok, you disagree with me JK. Why? The law in our culture is that horse meat is NOT to be consumed by human beings. Why is it then ok to SLAUGHTER these animals and sell them as food to OTHER countries? Is this not the epitome of hypocrisy?

Why is this not akin to slaughtering dogs in order to sell to Korea or China? Would you accept a dog slaughterhouse in the USA as long as it only shipped the meat to countries where eating dog meat is accepted?

BTW JK, I am assuming you are a resident of the USA....if not, I guess this exchange is moot....

The people that do eat horsemeat must glow in the dark due to all the drugs that horses get. Im sure the meat must be tainted.

GeTydOn
02-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah. Like other meats ain't tainted with hormones or whatever. But really. I'm sure the powers that be would never let anyone get tainted meats. Never happen.