PDA

View Full Version : Shocking news from Dubai

cj
02-07-2006, 02:24 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/72024.html

Looks like Henny Hughes isn't doing so well. Guess I'll have to rethink my Derby future bets. :rolleyes:

xfile
02-07-2006, 03:18 PM
The article simply said they felt he was not ready for 3yo debut. The UAE Derby is March 25th. If he's not running and/or winning that race I would then say there's a problem. Everyone loves to shoot bullets through this horse but he has excellent speed that carries. He doesn't give up the lead without a dog fight. War Emblem possibilities. I stand by him still as my early choice. :cool:

cj
02-07-2006, 03:22 PM
If he isn't running before March 25th, he most likely wouldn't run again before the Derby. No thanks. Have you seen the track record of these Dubai animals?

Bobby
02-07-2006, 04:06 PM
exactly. They're worse than D Wayne USED to be.

OTM Al
02-07-2006, 04:59 PM
I don't understand the way the sheikhs run their stables. They desperately want a Derby winner and for the bucks that they have spent, I sure don't blame them, but they have solid operations over here, so why in gods name do they always take their best prospects over there?????? One prep 6 weeks out from the derby?!?! There is no way he can be in shape for this and I still don't think he's made for the distance anyway. Think he could be one heck of a sprinter/miler though. Well, I sure enjoyed watching him in the past so here's hoping that we see him running well sometime again over here, but I'm not holding my breath.

classhandicapper
02-07-2006, 07:28 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/72024.html

Looks like Henny Hughes isn't doing so well. Guess I'll have to rethink my Derby future bets. :rolleyes:

I was wondering what was going on with him. Personally, if I owned that horse I would aim him for the Met Mile and not the Derby.

That may sound crazy, but a few top 3YOs have done very well in the Met. They get in extremely light and sometimes the very best older route horses are not 100% geared up yet because they are looking to the bigger races at longer distances in the fall.

There's almost no doubt he will eventually be a top miler if he stays healthy. Heck, he was a very good miler at 2. With any development, he'll be terrific. With that pedigree and style though, IMO 10F will be a stretch.

JulieKrone
02-07-2006, 08:08 PM
I don't understand the way the sheikhs run their stables. They desperately want a Derby winner and for the bucks that they have spent, I sure don't blame them, but they have solid operations over here, so why in gods name do they always take their best prospects over there?????? One prep 6 weeks out from the derby?!?! There is no way he can be in shape for this and I still don't think he's made for the distance anyway. Think he could be one heck of a sprinter/miler though. Well, I sure enjoyed watching him in the past so here's hoping that we see him running well sometime again over here, but I'm not holding my breath.
It may just simply be patriotic sentiment to both have their successful base of operations in their homeland, and as well to promote the industry there, which lacks the usual promotional and self-sustaining benefits provided by wagering.
And they may also not yet fully understand the American Dirt Game: to wit the tremendous natural speed + substance dosage necessary, having been so accustomed to the European way-- where promising maidens win their debuts in graded stakes, and as well others win grade 1's off multiple-month layoffs-- while susceptible to inurious penalties for just feeding a horse a lousy candy bar.
Or maybe it's just anathema for any foreign horseman to treat his stock in the mode we handle 2 & 3 year olds: to win prolifically as a 2 or early 3 -yo, such an animal has to race & race often, with nagging issues that would call for long layoffs elsewhere. We stuff such a beast with steroids, cortisone, joint fluid and hoof patches(let's not get into the illegals); but we really have no choice. If our TC consisted of marathons on soft turf(or even moist dirt), spaced far apart and not requiring natural speed; it'd be a different story altogether.
There is no way a young horse(with still-immature bones) can withstand the rigors we subject it to, w/o getting beaucoup synthetics. Because of this we many never see in this country again a 2-3yo champ repeating at 4 or 5: not only has it maybe aggravated nagging problems beyond repair, but its bone platelets fuse, stunting its growth. It can only grow sideways, becoming strong and heavy, not the ideal profile for winning long races(that extra weight has also got to be further aggravating to any joint and foot issues). Meanwhile, its lesser-raced kin on the sidelines overtake it in growth while also better-avoiding bone/foot/joint problems.
The sheikhs want a Derby champion they can triumphantly parade and race overseas for a while at least, after winning here. It would likely give someone who lives over there scant satisfaction to have to campaign a horse overseas, and for just a few scant months at that, and then have to retire it w/o maybe even having had a chance to watch it race, much less be able to actually race it in their side of the pond.
JMHO

NYBred
02-09-2006, 02:48 PM
"And they may also not yet fully understand the American Dirt Game..."

So approximately how many years/failures do you think will it take for them to reconsider their -um- unique approach?

Stevie Belmont
02-12-2006, 12:25 PM
When and if this guy recovers, he has a bright future. Very fast horse. Exciting to watch. As for the derby, that looks far fetched at this point. We also know distance could be a problem. As a sprinter, he could be a very serious horse. Hopefully we get to see him strut his stuff soon enough.

Stevie Belmont
02-12-2006, 08:43 PM
When and if this guy recovers, he has a bright future. Very fast horse. Exciting to watch. As for the derby, that looks far fetched at this point. We also know distance could be a problem. As a sprinter, he could be a very serious horse. Hopefully we get to see him strut his stuff soon enough.

I should not say recover, the horse is not hurt. The Ali Babbas were just not happy with a work.