PDA

View Full Version : Oaklawn

SmartyParty
02-07-2006, 01:45 PM
My husband and I are going to Oaklawn for the first time for the Rebel Stakes. Any insider info? Availability to the barn area? Hot trainers and jockeys and owners? Track announcer? Good restaurants? Good hotels? Parking? Hot Springs attractions?

Guess that about covers it all. Thanks!

cj
02-07-2006, 01:48 PM
So far this meet, speed has been very poor.

46zilzal
02-07-2006, 01:48 PM
that is changing

the little guy
02-07-2006, 02:04 PM
I would like the definition of " good restaurant ".

spanky
02-07-2006, 02:06 PM
http://www.oaklawn.com/

Track Annoucer--Terry Wallace

traffic is hell in this town. Your best bet is to stay at the Best western Stage Coach across from track. You can walk across the street 1-800 643-8722

or there LOCAL NUMBER 501-624-8722 GET RESESERVATION EARLY . THEY HAVE A VERY GOOD FREE BREARFAST EVERY DAY. LOTS OF GOOD PLACES TO EAT STEAK, CAJUN SEA FOOD WHAT EVER. tRAINERS THERE ARE LOTS OF GREAT TRAINERS HERE THIS YEAR. iF THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT GET IN THE OAKLAWN SITE GOOD INFO ON PLACES TO STAY RESTURANTS AND WHAT EVER.
i HAVE STAYED AT THE STAGE COACH BEFORE GREAT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO FIGHT TRAFFIC AND PARKING.
i AM IN A CONDO ON THE LAKE HAMILTON { BEAUTIFUL VIEW} NO YOU CAN'T STAY WITH ME.:) :) :)

cj
02-07-2006, 02:06 PM
In Arkansas, I'd vote for one that serves Buffalo!

Bobby
02-07-2006, 02:13 PM
The best place to eat in HS is Outback if your a meat-eater. They've got a couple of locally owned, non-chain restuarants that are not quite as good for the meat-eaters. But I think its hard-pressed to beat Outback anywhere. Just my view though.

For pasta, J's Italian Villa. Expensive though.

forgot to mention -- doe's is good too. It won a USA today award. I haven't been to the one in HS though

Pizza - rocky's corner across from the track is good.

46zilzal
02-07-2006, 02:16 PM
I would like the definition of " good restaurant ".
one where you don't burp afterward or need Pepto Bismol

the little guy
02-07-2006, 02:39 PM
I was going to use the Pepto line myself.

Figman
02-07-2006, 02:54 PM
I've spent some time in Hot Springs and never miss these three eating places:
1. McClards - a favorite of Bill Clinton as well.
2. Stubbys - on Lake Hamilton and I heard there now may be a Stubbys Too
3. Mrs. Millers - that was a favorite of the late trainer Woody Stephens

spanky
02-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Mrs miller has not been open this race season. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bobby
02-07-2006, 03:55 PM
yea, it closed down last fall. Someone came in and bought the property for something other than a restuarant

SmartyParty
02-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Does Terry Wallace also still call at Horsemen's Park?

arkansasman
02-07-2006, 07:13 PM
My 2 favorite places to eat in Hot Springs are Cajun Boiler and Coys.

Embassy Suites next to the New convention center would be a good place to stay. You are just a short walk from downtown.

If you get a chance, take a bath and a massage. They are wonderful.

JustRalph
02-07-2006, 10:58 PM
My husband and I are going to Oaklawn for the first time for the Rebel Stakes. Any insider info? Availability to the barn area? Hot trainers and jockeys and owners? Track announcer? Good restaurants? Good hotels? Parking? Hot Springs attractions?

Guess that about covers it all. Thanks!

Uh Oh...!!! A women has entered the building.............Look out Smarty..........

kenwoodallpromos
02-08-2006, 12:48 AM
"If you get a chance, take a bath". I'm glad I go to Ar every year to visit in-laws and have been to Oaklawn. Otherwise I may be tempted to make a joke! Actually, there was a drought in the part of Northern Ar over Christmas so we had to conserve water!

arkansasman
02-08-2006, 06:17 AM
LOL. I should have said take one of the hot mineral baths at the Arlington.

SmartyParty
02-08-2006, 01:37 PM
http://www.oaklawn.com/

Track Annoucer--Terry Wallace

traffic is hell in this town. Your best bet is to stay at the Best western Stage Coach across from track. You can walk across the street 1-800 643-8722

or there LOCAL NUMBER 501-624-8722 GET RESESERVATION EARLY . THEY HAVE A VERY GOOD FREE BREARFAST EVERY DAY. LOTS OF GOOD PLACES TO EAT STEAK, CAJUN SEA FOOD WHAT EVER. tRAINERS THERE ARE LOTS OF GREAT TRAINERS HERE THIS YEAR. iF THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT GET IN THE OAKLAWN SITE GOOD INFO ON PLACES TO STAY RESTURANTS AND WHAT EVER.
i HAVE STAYED AT THE STAGE COACH BEFORE GREAT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO FIGHT TRAFFIC AND PARKING.
i AM IN A CONDO ON THE LAKE HAMILTON { BEAUTIFUL VIEW} NO YOU CAN'T STAY WITH ME.:) :) :)

Spanky, I like your name; I had a Border Collie for 15 years named Spanky.:)
I waited too long; the Stagecoach is full. Is the traffic so bad that I don't want to rent a car? Is it town traffic or Interstate? What is the traffic like from Little Rock?

Toss_DeLoser
02-08-2006, 03:31 PM
It's town traffic and the drive down from LR isn't to bad since the freeway has been widened. Try to make the drive early and you shouldn't have any problems.