PDA

View Full Version : Woodbine announcer

banacek
02-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Anyone know what is happening with the Woodbine announcing job. I'm not playing WO right now, but was watching on TV the last couple of Mondays and it appears to be the guy that does the Woodbine thoroughbreds (Loisselle?)

They had Ken Middleton, I think, when I was playing in December. I was initially not too impressed, but I thought he was improving. He did have some pretty big shoes to fill.

Zaf
02-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Loiselle did fill in from time to time for Frank Salive. Maybe Middleton took a winter vacation.

Z

banacek
02-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Loiselle did fill in from time to time for Frank Salive. Maybe Middleton took a winter vacation.

Z

Thanks, probably the case. I just thought when you get a new job it was pretty quick for a vacation, but judging from the snow today at Woodbine today, it would be the perfect time for a vacation.

toetoe
02-07-2006, 02:31 AM
Hey, anybody heard the Northfield guy? He's a kick. I'm pretty sure it's Northfield. He's the best since Joe Alto, I swear. :ThmbUp:

Zaf
02-07-2006, 07:22 AM
And there they are :p

Z

falconridge
02-09-2006, 01:24 AM
They had Ken Middleton, I think, when I was playing in December. I was initially not too impressed, but I thought he was improving. He did have some pretty big shoes to fill.Countryman banacek, comrade in Polackdom: Whose shoes were those? I believe we're thinking of the same announcer, the one who preceded whoever was is the Woodbine and Mohawk crow's nests late last year (Middleton?).

I loved the fellow you refer to as having worn the big brogans, and always got a kick out of his east-Canadian brogue: "Armbro Hanover parked oat [sic] first over, with Cam's Art picking up live cover oat-side of Monckton Hanover, who looks to have plenty of pace but is still in a tight spot after sitting the pocket." Seems to me I heard Middleton's predecessor just recently; can't remember which track, but it had to have been at one of the Canada meets other than Mohawk or Woodbine.

Toe, I've finally begun to warm to the Voice of the Home of the Flying Turns, but I still can't believe you'd think the "and there they are" guy (one Greg Young, as Tom Barrister told us in a long-ago post in another thread) worthy of mention in the same breath as Joe Alto (Il Altissimo!), whose inert baritone did it all for me. Don't you find Young just a mite Ross (Rosh) Porter-ish?

Seems to me we've been down this road before.

Parked out behind weak cover, but nonetheless "comin' home now ... ",

Falconridge Hanover

toetoe
02-09-2006, 11:23 AM
When it rains, the turns just crawl, I suppose?

The guy was so refreshing. Ex.: He called a horse, let's say "Falconridge." Well, it came out "Ralconfidge," and he stopped to say in self-deprecation, "Hunh, Ralconfidge," before continuing the call. A small thing, but how can I not love him?

Single Shaft Toetoe (Sulky, too)

banacek
02-09-2006, 12:26 PM
When it rains, the turns just crawl, I suppose?

The guy was so refreshing. Ex.: He called a horse, let's say "Falconridge." Well, it came out "Ralconfidge,"

Reminds me of a horse from my youth "Fog Ducker". Our announcer had trouble with that one.

Irishfever
02-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Frank Salive the former announcer at Woodbine does the race calling at Western Fair Raceway in London that's where his daughter goes to university.

As for Middleton he is the primary race caller just taking days off playing poker most likely but will be back shortly. Middleton tends to call a race before it is over and the horse ends being caught and he sheepishly has to reannounce the order of finish. At least he doesn't shout into the mic like lots tend to do.

falconridge
02-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Frank Salive the former announcer at Woodbine does the race calling at Western Fair Raceway in London that's where his daughter goes to university.Thanks, my Hibernian friend.