PDA

View Full Version : Brad Thomas

aaron
02-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Brad Thomas who analyzes New Jersey racing should be doing the NYRA races. He played or worked the NYRA circuit for many years,but was never given a chance in the analyst's role on the racing show.

the little guy
02-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I would guess Brad is very happy where he is.

No doubt he does a superior job.

Doc
02-06-2006, 10:47 AM
He does the morning line at Monmouth which, I think, is better than most tracks. Philly's morning line is a joke sometimes.

Doc

cj
02-06-2006, 10:48 AM
I would guess Brad is very happy where he is.

No doubt he does a superior job.

What does he do the other 6 months of the year?

the little guy
02-06-2006, 11:28 AM
I don't have THAT much free time.

DeoVolente
02-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Brad should be writing a handicapping book if he has all that idle time. I'll read it won't you?

JulieKrone
02-06-2006, 09:07 PM
I remember when he and Sigelaub did their joint column for the Daily News.

speedking
02-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Brad's primary occupation is that of a full-time player. He is not a timid bettor and extremely value oriented. He is also quite successful. He used to work for NYRA in some capacity, teaching new and inexperienced players how to handicap. Along with his former partner Marc Siegelaub, they published the FACTS sheets in NY. Similar pricing to Rags sheets, fully adjusted numbers with detailed trip info. Problem was, when I looked at them, they did not have out of town numbers. They also used to publish a weekly newsletter, available at many newstands in NY, which was very insightful. Doug Kaplan assisted in this endeavor and was excellent with pedigrees and what to look for in the future. Anyone happen to know what happened to Doug after he went to law school? All three of these guys came out of Sports Eye and had their start in harness racing.

the little guy
02-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Don't know Doug Kaplan, but I see Marc occasionally and if I remember next time I'll ask him.

DeoVolente
02-06-2006, 10:04 PM
I remember when he and Sigelaub did their joint column for the Daily News.

Wasn't that Newsday?

speedking
02-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks, It's probably about 20 years since they were together and it was Doug's knowledge that impressed me the most.

speedking

speedking
02-06-2006, 10:08 PM
Wasn't that Newsday?

I don't remember it, but Newsday had a suberb racing staff in the 80's and early 90's.

speedking

PaceAdvantage
02-06-2006, 10:22 PM
It was definitely Newsday...

the little guy
02-06-2006, 10:23 PM
It was Newsday.

The best guys the Daily News had were Ernie Munick followed by Kurt Paseka making daily picks. Those guys were great.

The Hawk
02-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Don't forget Litfin...

pandy
02-06-2006, 11:59 PM
Brad did picks for me and some other stuff when I had my Pandy's Picks tipsheet in New York. We worked together for about 5 years at Sports Eye. He's a great longshot handicapper, great trip handicapper, and if you go to Monmouth, make sure you listen to him. I was there one day with my wife and I heard him tout a longshot over the loudspeaker. I bet it, it won and paid $45.00. His picks are also on the Monmouth website.

frankfig
02-07-2006, 03:16 PM
brad is very good. i miss the old days of aqueduct in the afternoon and roosevelt raceway at night. pandy how is your book coming along. i am one of the rare people that does figs by hand and doesnt use computers to cap often. I believe i heard someone say you are going to have a way to make harness figures by hand in your book. also how do you make your odds line ? do you give 80 % to contenders like some people or do you have another way ? thanks and good luck pandyman

pandy
02-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi and thanks,

I miss Roosevelt too. Yes, my book, Modern Harness Handicapping is coming along and does have a way to make speed and pace figures by hand without a computer. On my Meadowlands picks at www.ustrotting.com I only create odds for my 4 prime contenders, so, yes, I estimate using 80%.

Pandy

speedking
02-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Pandy,

Isn't it incredible how many truly professional handicappers came out of the Great Neck office in the late 70's. Most of whom got their start in harness racing and later switched to the TBreds when they went out on their own. Maybe that's why we had such a good feel for trip handicapping and pace when we switched over. Good luck in your current endeavors.

speedking

pandy
02-07-2006, 10:41 PM
I worked with Doug Kaplan at Sports Eye and we were pretty good friends. I went to his wedding. I always wondered what he's doing now and if he's still a laywer. He was a terrific writer, interesting and funny. One time I was writing the Monticello analysis and I went to the bathroom. When I was out, he sat down at the typewriter and inserted something about a harness driver named Artie Bier into my column. Artie Bier had just come back from a suspension and it read something like, "Artie Bier, former bag man for the Columbo gang, returns from suspension," or something like that. It went in the paper! The next day I get a phone call from Artie Bier! I was mortified. I knew it was Doug, just his style of irreverent wit. I made him get on the phone with Artie Bier and confess that it wasn't me. Artie was pretty cool, I must admit. He said something like, "I just got back, please don't write anything like that anymore!" We apologized profusely, but it was pretty funny.

Stevie Belmont
02-09-2006, 12:42 AM
Thomas also works the Meadowlands meet as well. Brad is a fine longshot capper. I do think he has a tendency to push the enevelope at times with some of his selections. Sometimes there are vunerable favorites, and Brad will often try to beat that horse. I do as well. However he can go overboard on horses that figure to win. You will often here him say, I will take a shot against at low odds. Not always the wisest stragedy. A true trip capper, who does his homework. Worthy info when you have not seen a particular race, or the form fails to paint the vivid picture. Always a tuned to the hot barns, and when you should take notice. I always find the time to listen to what he has to say, weather I agree with it or not. You can always get close and personal down by the paddock at Monmouth Park for his analysis. One of the better handicapping personalities around the game in the tri-state area. Brad is strong minded as well. And as a capper, you really have to love that.

pandy
02-09-2006, 06:11 AM
Speedking, thanks for the reply. I agree that harness handicapping was a good foundation for thoroughbred handicapping. Harness handicappers are natural trip handicappers, and also look at final quarter, which many thoroughbred handicappers neglect.

Pandy

DeoVolente
02-09-2006, 05:24 PM
I would rate Brad Thomas as one of the best handicappers in the media. If I had to criticize one area of his handicapping, It's the way he is too quick to draw conclusions about a track bias.