PDA

View Full Version : heres on e hell of a stat for pittsburg

freeneasy
02-05-2006, 04:06 PM
since 1992 pittsburg is 122-1 when going into the 4th quarter with the lead. figure out who will have the lead at the start of the 4th quarter and play the moneyline

46zilzal
02-05-2006, 05:12 PM
since 1992 pittsburg is 122-1 when going into the 4th quarter with the lead. figure out who will have the lead at the start of the 4th quarter and play the moneyline
nice but irrelevant MOST of those folks are not playing

Valuist
02-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Not completely irrelevant. There's one common factor since 1992 for the Steelers: Bill Cowher.

freeneasy
02-05-2006, 10:27 PM
123-1

chickenhead
02-05-2006, 10:30 PM
Did Holmgren stand up Cower after the game for the customary atta boy? What kind of low rent behavior is that? Maybe he was too embarrassed over his clock management skillz, but still...

BillW
02-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Did Holmgren stand up Cower after the game for the customary atta boy? What kind of low rent behavior is that? Maybe he was too embarrassed over his clock management skillz, but still...

Holmgren is too much of a class guy for that (although I didn't see those two talk). Possibly the post game stuff was scripted to expedite the setup for the trophy presentation. Kind of a lousy game all the way around. The Steelers lose any one of the 3 previous playoff games with the offense playing like that.

dav4463
02-06-2006, 03:55 AM
I think Seattle had an unreal number of bad calls that went against them. I usually always take up for the referees, but some of that today was just mind-boggling. Especially the phantom hold when Seattle was about to go up 17-14 after a pass to the Steeler 2 yd line.

ldiatone
02-06-2006, 10:34 AM
by the way it's PITTSBURGH<--- also does one think the refs were for the colts in that game? as the fab sports babe would say "score more points".
hey the kicker miseed two field goals
chef(again) from PITTSBURGH HOME OF THE SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!!

toetoe
02-06-2006, 01:23 PM
Please, some love for *h*-less Pittsburg, Ca. A dump whose worst part of town changed its name from West Pittsburg to Bay Point. Now that's ingenious policy. :ThmbUp:

dav4463
02-06-2006, 04:13 PM
I liked Pittsburgh going into the game. By the third quarter I was a Seahawks fan.

Valuist
02-06-2006, 04:15 PM
I take it you didn't have money on the game then.

GaryG
02-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Please, some love for *h*-less Pittsburg, Ca. A dump whose worst part of town changed its name from West Pittsburg to Bay Point. Now that's ingenious policy. :ThmbUp:Isn't that near Folsom? I hear that train a comin...

BillW
02-06-2006, 10:17 PM

Fox Sports Pittsburgh confirmed that he caught up with Cowher in the dressing room afterwards. Apparently the prep for the trophy ceremony and the ensuing media riot on the field made it tough to walk across. Nothing sleazy, simply self-preservation :) .

kingfin66
02-06-2006, 10:25 PM
I think Seattle had an unreal number of bad calls that went against them. I usually always take up for the referees, but some of that today was just mind-boggling. Especially the phantom hold when Seattle was about to go up 17-14 after a pass to the Steeler 2 yd line.

How about these:

Hasselbeck getting called for a personal foul penalty for making a tackle :eek:

Jeremy Stevens getting mauled while trying to run a pattern in the second quarter - just hammered way more than 5 yards off the line (not that he would have caught the ball anyway)

Let's not forget the ball that Stevens caught, then fumbled, but was ruled an incompletion. That play would most likely have been a turnover in Pittsburgh's favor.

The aforementioned phantom hold.

Ben R. calls timeout with the play clock at -0- and has it granted.

Ben R.'s touchdown that wasn't. The official actually put his fist into the air to signal 4th down while running in to spot the ball. If you look at the replay, Michael Boulware then blocked his line of vision, while at the same time Big Ben shifted the ball into the end zone. When the official saw Ben again in the end zone he put his hands up.

And the worst call of all - Darrell Jackson getting called for "pushing off" when the Steeler's DB had just nailed Jackson. What Jackson did actually only looked like he was pushing off because his arm was full extended. You never see this called.

Lot's of interesting calls. Despite these, and I'm from Seattle, the 'Hawks did not play well enough to win this game. They gave up big plays and had horrid special teams play. They let Pittsburgh beat them when Pittsburgh's QB was absolutely brutal. Stevens could not catch a ball, Hasselbeck was air mailing throws, and again Hasselbeck, was being stupid in managing the clock. The bottom line is that the NFL should be embarrased for the quality of the officiating in the Super Bowl (where's Ed Hochuli when you need him?), but I'm still not convinced that it cost Seattle the game.

That's my $0.02. See you in Miami in '07.

46zilzal
02-07-2006, 12:41 AM
taped the game so I could go back and look.....Ref's were CRAP. Thought so when I saw it live. Would it have changed the outcome? Don't think so, but it would have made it a more interesting game for sure.

BillW
02-07-2006, 03:51 PM
Fox Sports Pittsburgh confirmed that he caught up with Cowher in the dressing room afterwards. Apparently the prep for the trophy ceremony and the ensuing media riot on the field made it tough to walk across. Nothing sleazy, simply self-preservation :) .

More on this, Chickem (and the final point, I hope). The coaches were instructed to meet at the 25 yd. line for the handshake after the game by the NFL. Cowher is the one that got mixed up and missed the meeting.

Per FSPittsburgh.

Bill

cj
02-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Compared to the previous playoff rounds, these refs were sensational.

BillW
02-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Compared to the previous playoff rounds, these refs were sensational.

Where I lost respect for Holmgren was when he said it was "uncharacteristic" of the Seahawks to commit so many penalties - trying to blame the officials. YOU COMMIT PENALTIES AGAINST A TEAM YOU CAN'T OTHERWISE STOP. :D

46zilzal
02-07-2006, 04:34 PM
the Seahawks were 2nd from the top in LEAST penalized team in the league. That just might be what he was referring to.

chickenhead
02-07-2006, 05:03 PM
More on this, Chickem (and the final point, I hope). The coaches were instructed to meet at the 25 yd. line for the handshake after the game by the NFL. Cowher is the one that got mixed up and missed the meeting.

Per FSPittsburgh.

Bill

Damn Bill, is Cowher your cousin or something? ;)

I'm glad to hear it was just an unintended screw-up, I couldn't help but feel bad for Cowher, greatest moment of his professional life and he's standing around looking like an orphan. My first reaction actually was to wonder if Holmgren was OK, that he might have had a heart attack or something...the old GB diet of brawts, cheese, and beer finally catching up to him.

BillW
02-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Damn Bill, is Cowher your cousin or something? ;)

No, I'm from Pittsburgh though (and actually a guy I grew up with works on the coaching staff). I guess I'm a bit of a fan :jump: .

NoDayJob
02-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Isn't that near Folsom? I hear that train a comin...

Nah, between Concord and Antioch, CA, on state hiway 4 ---

freeneasy
02-11-2006, 09:46 PM
then seattle more then likely wouldve at least got the cover.
one thing i was wondering about on that pushoff in the endzone was, can a headcoach throw the redflag on a penalty call?
it seemed to me that this was not a pushoff but the natural motion the arm makes when the body goes thru that kind of a change in direction. it seemed more of a balencing type motion as he was making his cut then anything else. now if he made his cut from a standstill then that arm motion could be considerd a push or an attempt to momentarily hold the defender at bay. but if you can redflag a penalty call then that could have went seattles way

BillW
02-11-2006, 10:14 PM
then seattle more then likely wouldve at least got the cover.
one thing i was wondering about on that pushoff in the endzone was, can a headcoach throw the redflag on a penalty call?
it seemed to me that this was not a pushoff but the natural motion the arm makes when the body goes thru that kind of a change in direction. it seemed more of a balencing type motion as he was making his cut then anything else. now if he made his cut from a standstill then that arm motion could be considerd a push or an attempt to momentarily hold the defender at bay. but if you can redflag a penalty call then that could have went seattles way

From the rule book:

Actions that constitute offensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(b) Initiating contact with a defender by shoving or pushing off thus creating a separation in an attempt to catch a pass.

Free, it looked like he was making a training film for NFL referees. Right in front of the referee, just a stupid play.

JustRalph
02-12-2006, 12:18 AM
The guys from HBO's Inside the NFL did an analysis of the penalties that were called and the only one they said that they disagreed with was the low block by Hasselbeck on the interception return. Chris Carter and Chris Collingsworth explained the "push off" rule and said the guy was guilty as hell..........right in front of the referee or not.........they said it was a good call.........

BillW
02-12-2006, 12:37 AM
The guys from HBO's Inside the NFL did an analysis of the penalties that were called and the only one they said that they disagreed with was the low block by Hasselbeck on the interception return. Chris Carter and Chris Collingsworth explained the "push off" rule and said the guy was guilty as hell..........right in front of the referee or not.........they said it was a good call.........

The thing that is being missed is that the refs are not given any latitude by the NFL to judge the degree of the infraction. It either is or it isn't. If it is and they don't call it, the NFL quality assurance types consider it a bad performance by the refs. Given the recent flak the refs have been getting, this crew was on their toes. It's funny that what people have been complaining about is too good of a job by the refs. Their problem is either with the NFL rules or they just thought the refs should "give the Seahawks a break". Holmgren of course was trying to deflect focus away from a poor performance and apparently successfully did.

chickenhead
02-12-2006, 01:03 AM
lets not forget the fumble that was called an incomplete pass...if that wasn't a catch then nothing is. The Seachickens got some calls in their favor, too.

cj
02-13-2006, 02:46 AM
I'm not sure what most of the complaining is about. The "phantom" hold was obvious holding, and the offensive interference was blatant.

Valuist
02-13-2006, 09:48 AM
To hear the Seahawks fans talk about it, if there was different refs, they'd have blown away Pitt. I say bullshit. For one thing, if the score is closer, no way does Big Ben throw that pass in the flat at the Seahawk 5 yard line. It got picked and 2 plays later Seattle scored. That was a 10, and possibly 14 point turnaround right there. The hold was obvious. I'm willing to cut them some slack on the pass to Darrell Jackson. Generally that is not called. They got a FG instead. So at most they were cost 4 pts.

BillW
02-13-2006, 12:27 PM
To hear the Seahawks fans talk about it, if there was different refs, they'd have blown away Pitt. I say bullshit. For one thing, if the score is closer, no way does Big Ben throw that pass in the flat at the Seahawk 5 yard line. It got picked and 2 plays later Seattle scored. That was a 10, and possibly 14 point turnaround right there. The hold was obvious. I'm willing to cut them some slack on the pass to Darrell Jackson. Generally that is not called. They got a FG instead. So at most they were cost 4 pts.

Seattle had a total of 2 scoring drives, 20 and 22 yards. If that team thinks they are a few referees away from being the best in football, Homgren's attempt to deflect blame for a poorly coached and executed game is doing that team a great disservice. I can understand the fans feeling that way, that is why they are fan(atics). But Holmgren is the one that shocks me for not holding himself accountable. (did he think the "deer in the headlights" 2 minute drills were cleaver :eek: ).

Ironically, the interference play was a focus of the league this past preseason and part of the presentation the refs make during their yearly visit to each training camp as a rule to be focused on (i.e. the league was not happy with the way the officials had ignored it in previous years.) The easiest thing for Jackson was to "not do that". He probably had the pass without the push.

Valuist
02-13-2006, 01:31 PM
I think maybe the league needs to re-think the way they award pass interference yardage. When you can throw the ball up for grabs 60 yards in the air, and some minor incidental contact and no catch results in a monsterous gain, there's a problem.

I also think fans don't mind the obvious stuff getting called but when the really picky stuff starts getting called (i.e. the Jackson offensive P.I.) I think most people don't like that. You rarely see offensive pass interference called, and when you do, its usually a no-doubt about it decision.

freeneasy
02-20-2006, 05:43 PM
:ThmbUp:

cj
02-21-2006, 06:25 AM
I like the idea of limiting penalty yardage, but I think the NFL is afraid of killing the big play. You get beat long, just tackle the guy. Of course this could be fixed with two varieties of pass interference, much like face masking and roughing/running into the kicker. Flagrant, spot foul, anything else, 15 yards.

JustRalph
02-27-2006, 11:59 AM
Ben R.'s touchdown that wasn't. The official actually put his fist into the air to signal 4th down while running in to spot the ball. If you look at the replay, Michael Boulware then blocked his line of vision, while at the same time Big Ben shifted the ball into the end zone. When the official saw Ben again in the end zone he put his hands up.

Looks like a TD to me. This pic came from the NFL according to the person who sent it to me..........don't know why it took so long...........

http://www.columbuscool.com/4294Ben_s_TD.jpg

toetoe
02-27-2006, 12:09 PM
That is his helmet, maybe?