PDA

View Full Version : The sadder side of horse racing

GlenninOhio
02-05-2006, 01:09 PM
Skip's Signal, a 6-year-old maiden, is entered in the 3rd race at Beulah Park this coming Wednesday, 2/8 for a tag of $3,500. He last ran just two days ago on 2/3 at the same level, and his previous start was just six days prior to that.

I'm sure this sad story plays itself out every day in the bottom ranks at the bottom tracks as horses are worked like rented mules in order to try to pay the feed bills, but it strikes home with me as I have a history with Skip's Signal.

I was introduced to the world of thoroughbred ownership three years ago when I took a small piece of a racing partnership built around Skip. He was a New York bred, and as most of you are well aware the New York bred program offers king-sized pots for horses with less than king-sized ability.

Unfortunately for Skip:

1. His ability was closer to pint-sized.

2. He was an incurable stall-walker, who would put in many miles a day just circling around in his stall.

3. The New York-bred program at Aqu-Bel can be a curse for those of lesser talent, as there is really no place to run these horses at these tracks in open company - even at the lowest claiming levels - where they can be competitive. So they tend to run them back time after time in the NY-bred Maiden Specials even though they have little chance of even hitting the board, and all the poundings they take often destroys their will to compete.

Skip was eventually shipped to a Finger Lakes trainer to run in their less challenging NY-bred program, but if he ever had the ability to compete at FL it was shot by then.

They then ran him for a tag and he was ultimately claimed and shipped to Beulah and that brings us to today's unfortunate situation.

I've been told that horse rescue programs would not be interested in Skip due to his stall walking, and I'm wondering if anyone on this board has their own feel for this.

I could simply remove him from my stable alerts to stop the reminders but it would still be tough not to think about him.

Tom
02-05-2006, 01:24 PM
It is always sad to see lousy trainers and SOB owners trying to sqyeeze one last paycheck out of poor, hurting horses. I have no respect for this low life excuse for a horseman. And we have had plenty of them at Finger Lakes.

Our Horse of Year, Horse of the Decade - had a following that rivaled Forgo's - ended up at the killer's for the price of a couple of six packs.:mad:

Doc
02-05-2006, 01:55 PM
The horse rescue programs wouldn't be interested in Skip because of his stall-walking??? To me, that's outrageous! These organizations are designed to help ALL horses, not just those without vices. What if a horse is a cribber - will they take him? How about if he bites? The reason that horses become stall walkers and crib and get all sorts of nasty habits is because they're cooped up in that cell for 23 or more hours per day...just like being in jail. Why couldn't a rescue organization find a farm for Skip where he could be turned out and not be in a stall? If this is true, I'm disgusted. Which organizations wouldn't take him??

CryingForTheHorses
02-05-2006, 03:23 PM
The horse rescue programs wouldn't be interested in Skip because of his stall-walking??? To me, that's outrageous! These organizations are designed to help ALL horses, not just those without vices. What if a horse is a cribber - will they take him? How about if he bites? The reason that horses become stall walkers and crib and get all sorts of nasty habits is because they're cooped up in that cell for 23 or more hours per day...just like being in jail. Why couldn't a rescue organization find a farm for Skip where he could be turned out and not be in a stall? If this is true, I'm disgusted. Which organizations wouldn't take him??

Its very sad to see what happens to LOTS of these horses,Myself I have claimed horses that never got to race again, I didnt kill them, I did find them homes.I also have a stallion who is no more then a housecat around people, Loves life, Is a real fun horse, I was told by several foundatons that they didnt want him because he wasnt gelded, geeze this guy is 8 years old.For as long as Ihave had him on the farm, I may try to brin him back next spring, Im told he is doing very well.He ran 4 times last year earning 2 2nds with 1 of them being 13 lengths in front of the 3rd horse getting beat in a photo.A different person in a horses life can be the difference between life and death

46zilzal
02-05-2006, 04:13 PM
yes I have seen the kind of crap some bastards do to these innocent creatures that they would never even consider doing to their dog or cat. Shooting up their joints with all manner of crap and AIR (as if it would actually do anything but get absorbed by the joint capsule) to relieve the kind of trauma that SIMPLE REST would cure.

46zilzal
02-05-2006, 04:24 PM
I KNOW that the regular fan has NO IDEA how much a race takes out of a cheap horse. Many are off their feed for days afterward, flexor tendons are filled as they are in ice, many do not move an inch and are listless, often they get knicks in their hide from tiny stones in the track that kick back up into them.....the list goes on.

I always compare it to having a car, front end out of balance, and needing a engine overhaul being forced to get a great time in the quarter mile at the local drap strip....Ineffective and out of balance ambulation forces have to work twice as hard to move forward and they pay the price for it.

kenwoodallpromos
02-05-2006, 05:54 PM
All I can suggest is maybe contact Robeerts and clue him- maybe he can make suggestions to the current trainer or know of a retiremrnt place that will take him.
Very sad especially because he may not have major physical problems.

Tom
02-05-2006, 06:09 PM
You're a good man, Tom. :ThmbUp:

shammy
02-05-2006, 06:20 PM
there are rescues that will help this horse, the excellerfund may be one of them, send them an email.

kenwoodallpromos
02-05-2006, 06:40 PM
http://www.canterusa.org/newengland/sale/sold.htm.
Their page shows a stall-walker they are helping find a home! CONTACT THEM NOW!

shammy
02-05-2006, 07:08 PM
canter works with exceller too, keep us posted!

YoTambien
02-06-2006, 01:44 AM
I'm not sure which organizations you contacted about this horse, but many groups will work with stall walkers. The Exceller Fund currently has a horse by the name of Dah Waterboy, and he is also a stall walker, which was not a healthy thing for him when we first got him - shattered seisemoids and all.

He was adopted as a pasture-puff, but unfortunately his adoptive owner passed away so Waterboy is back with us. His seisemoids have knitted and so far he looks okay for light pleasure riding, so we have hopes he will find another adoptive home.

Please keep us and CANTER in mind, and if we don't have room to take him, we will network like crazy to find a place. Usually, if we can't take in a horse it's because we have run out of room or funds to care for another horse, or both.

One thing, however, is we (and most other rescue/adoption organizations) cannot afford to pay claiming price for a horse. So hopefully you can convince his owner or trainer to do right by him and donate him.

www.excellerfund.org (http://www.excellerfund.org)

I also meant to add that many organizations are not able to take in stallions because they must be kept separately from the other horses, and many organizations simply do not have the space and facility to properly keep them safe. Stallions will fight other horses, especially if the scent of mares is nearby, and I don't need to tell you what will happen if you keep stallions in the same pasture as mares! This is one reason why Old Friends was established, but even Old Friends has found out how quickly you can run out of paddock space! This is one reason I am in favor of gelding any stallion that does not have a decent commercial demand for breeding.