PDA

View Full Version : In the "You just can't make this stuff up" department...

PaceAdvantage
02-05-2006, 04:19 AM
An odd way to say thanks:

Santos Wins 4,000th, Splits With Agent (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=32050)
Jockey Jose Santos guided 6-1 Melodeeman to an easy victory in Saturday's fifth race at Aqueduct Racetrack, giving the Chilean his 4,000th career Thoroughbred racing victory in North America. Blood-Horse (http://bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=32050)

cj
02-05-2006, 05:14 AM
That fact that he stayed in New York for the inner meet says a lot about the state of his career.

shoelessjoe
02-05-2006, 06:53 AM
You really cant make that judgement on Santos just because he decided to stay in New York this winter.Eibar Coa is riding there and this jock is definetly no slouch.Shoeless

rrpic6
02-05-2006, 09:04 AM
That fact that he stayed in New York for the inner meet says a lot about the state of his career.
Al Davis said "just win baby". The Miami press was not kind to Santos in the past. Odd, since he indirectly helped change the pari-mutual computer system when he won the BC with Volponi. He makes a great living while staying in New York.

cj
02-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Both you guys are right. However, Santos is not a top jock anymore, that is what I was trying to say. The top jocks ride in Florida and SoCal this time of year. No doubt Santos is making a nice living, and surely more than he would make in Florida.

But when the big boys come back in the spring, let's just say he better have stored away some of his winter nuts to eat then.

Figman
02-05-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm not too sure about that CJ.

We will see shortly as in Santos's best days, he was represented by Drew Mollica. They are now reunited. An agent really does make a jockey. Look what happened to Chavez when he hired an ex-trainer that had never been an agent. Both tanked and that ex-trainer is no longer an "ex". He is back training. While Chavez went to Calder and was going great guns with Kevin Meyocks as his new agent until Chavez got seriously injured again.

I think you will see Santos a few more times this Winter for stakes rides due to Mollica's connections, however his everyday riding in New York for its everyday purse money is much more lucrative.

JustRalph
02-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Did he settle with the Florida Paper? Maybe he is anticipationg a big pay day.........and will retire after that...........

the little guy
02-05-2006, 05:09 PM
I guess I have to start rooting for Santos again.

I hope they have a lot of success together.