PDA

View Full Version : Old Fellow Still Has Something Left

OTM Al
02-02-2006, 06:51 PM
Looks like Funny Cide ran ok today. Mile in 1:34 2/5 for the winner with fractions :23.65, :45.67, 1:08.98, 1:34.42. with FC about a length and a half back of the winner and about the same in front of Sun King (though it is the first back after a break for that one). Not super impressive by any means, but maybe the old guy's got something left for this summer. Might not lay my $ on him, but sure will pull for him.

DrugSalvastore
02-02-2006, 08:25 PM
He's obviously not what he once was, but he's okay---like I said in an earlier post here...the comeback race they ran him in proved to be the absolute worst spot to return in.

The quarter-by-quarter splits for his comeback are 22.65--22.50--23.40 for a track record 1:08.50 final clocking that produced a 111 Beyer (Januarys best Beyer.) Because of that, it is just lunacy to hold that mediocre performance against him. That race meant nothing.

FWIW, The two horses in that race who exited the Mr. Prospector Handicap, Sir Greeley and Funny Cide, made up the $37 exacta today. Both horses found themselves towards the rear of the pack, behind that hilariously slow pace, in the Mr. P Cap. Both horses got to stretch out, off a Very Slow Early/Very Fast Late raceshape...which is the ideal raceshape for a stretch out horse to come off of.

I've never been a real huge fan of either Funny Cide or Sir Greeley, and didn't bet the race today...however, 9/2 odds on FC wasn't that bad. He opened at 2/1 odds--so this horse does still have people who bet sentimental money on him. I'm sure a lot of people will be pulling for him. I like horses who make me money though--and FC hasn't been one of them. I took the short price on EM in the Derby, and still can't believe he lost.