PDA

View Full Version : VEGAS RACING ADVANCE in Los Angeles?

Alan Wight
02-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Does anyone know if VEGAS RACING ADVANCE is still available in Los Angeles? If so, which newstands?

Thanks.

PaceAdvantage
02-01-2006, 11:48 PM
I believe Vegas Racing Advance went bye bye the minute the DRF bought Sports Eye a few months ago.

Tom
02-02-2006, 12:04 AM
It hasn't been out around here for a while now. Just disappeared.

xfile
02-02-2006, 07:03 AM
I believe Vegas Racing Advance went bye bye the minute the DRF bought Sports Eye a few months ago.

My insider info from an employee at DRF NY says they bought out Sports Eye publishing to "eliminate the competition". ........and that was months ago. As you see they have done nothing with it since. What a shame. :cool: :ThmbDown:

LoveTheDouble
02-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi all,

I don't know if this is the same but I can still find the "Daily Racing Program" here in Pittsburgh. the cover says "A Sports Eye Thoroughbred Publication". This issue has PP's for 16 different tracks and they are in the Equibase data format. Reading the fine print...the copyright notice does list the DRF as the copyright owner.

LTD

freeneasy
02-03-2006, 03:32 PM
bye-bye, siyanara, see ya later
for 3/4's the cost of the drf you got anywhere from 12 to 20 tracks per day. lots of good info, purse size for the claiming races, speed rarings on par with if not better then the beyers, and much more. it was just a good publication that had a good chance to make it. chicken crap owners took the money and ran.
i got a flyer from this handicapper seller, ed de'ath or is it ed de'ass i forget which one, selling his picks, usual jumbolya, no biggie, i ve gotten 6 or 7 of his flyers. but this one was a bit unusual in that in the flyer he hinted at the possibility that we might be seeing his speedrating numbers replacing the beyers as he was communicting with the drf concerning this very subject and that was the only thing i remember about the whole flyer, speaking of which i got a call from the office of thee professor gordon jones yesterday and he's giving away these free picks right now, over the phone at absolutely no cost to prove that he's every bit as good as his word.
so this phone jockey says hey this is john allan for gordon jones, how you been doing on the horses? iam up a little bit, ive been doin ok, been mostly playn hoops. he says yeah? well we got hoops too. i go yeah? u know like who gives a rats shiney ass and he goes yeah, you got a pen? i want you to write down these plays.
then he asks me "what kind of bettor are you" and i tell him i bet anywhere from 100 to 2500 depending on the game and he says "ok then i want you to play these teams today, trust me, they are going to win", oh, ok. so he gives me 5 games. i say hey whats your win per cent on all games given out? he said 70%.
so i go c'mon man lets make some sense here. now let me run it back for you.
i call you out of the blue, claim 70% winners, give you 5 games to play and ask you to bet your hard earned money, just like that, no questions asked, on my picks with nothing more to back it up other then "trust me these games are going to win" how serious would you take me?
i say hey man if you want to sell me gordon jones service then fine but you must think everyones is some kind of a fool to believe some phone jockey guy calling out of the blue with this top flight information to bet on. i mean c'mon lets be serious, you want my bussiness? then fine but you got to show me the money.
so he gives me his five plays plus a first time starter, baby energy, to win and place in the 3rd at gulfstream and said he would be calling me the next day. so i tell him iaam making two plays today, texas and unlv, i go 2-0, he goes 3-2 plus the fts never hit the board. still waiting for his call. so if you get a call from a guy named john allen selling gordon jones tell em i said hi will ya :lol:

Alan Wight
02-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Here's an interesting passage from page 119 of Crist's Betting on Myself indicating that history does repeat itself:

"Only one outfit had made a serious run at (the Form): Sports Eye, which published past performances for harness racing, had twice expanded into Thoroughbred past performances. Both times the Form had threatened tracks with nondelivery of the paper if they allowed Sports Eye employees to call charts from the press box and sold the product at the track.

"These tactics only went so far, though, and the Form eventually had to reach private "settlements" to keep Sports Eye from continuing to publish. It was unclear whether Sports Eye's true goal had been to establish a real business or just to be paid for discontinuing one, but either way, it had profited from its attempts."

Of course, the Form eventually bought out the assets of Crist's Racing Times. At the time, according to Crist, there was a possibility that Equibase, whose startup had been helped with lots of cash from the publisher of The Racing times, would buy it and compete with the Form. The Form's owner at the time, K-III Holdings, managed to "dissuade" all other potential buyers.

Alan Wight
02-06-2006, 12:03 PM
I suspect that they've kept the paper available in a small number of markets to comply with some anti-monopoly law. They'll probably make sure the accounting shows it losing money and will eventually shut the entire operation down.

Hi all,

I don't know if this is the same but I can still find the "Daily Racing Program" here in Pittsburgh. the cover says "A Sports Eye Thoroughbred Publication". This issue has PP's for 16 different tracks and they are in the Equibase data format. Reading the fine print...the copyright notice does list the DRF as the copyright owner.

LTD

PaceAdvantage
02-06-2006, 12:11 PM
Daily Racing Program isn't the same. DRP has been around for years and years and years at various OTBs here in NY and elsewhere. It's a pocket sized book that contains PPs. The Vegas Advance was a full size paper....

As far as I know, DRP is going to be sticking around as it always has....

Tom
02-06-2006, 01:53 PM
DRP still on sale here everyday.

Figman
02-06-2006, 02:06 PM
How about The Morning Telegraph?