PDA

View Full Version : The Kentucky Derby -- Powered by YUM!

OTM Al
02-01-2006, 09:43 AM
Okay, at least they won't (hopefully) ever put the tag on the actual race name ala the Breeders Cup. And it looks like it may benefit horsemen running at CD. Still makes me laugh though.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=32006

kenwoodallpromos
02-01-2006, 12:54 PM
Yum! KY Derby also-rans!LOL! They need to hire a wise*** like me to test the joke factor!

OTM Al
02-01-2006, 01:01 PM
So THAT's what goes into those tasty Taco Bell Burritos!!!!!!

Valuist
02-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Do you suppose they will start referring to it as the "Run for the Border" instead of the roses?

toetoe
02-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Al,

I beat you into "print" by twelve minutes. :) Two threads down.

Wiley
02-01-2006, 02:32 PM
IMHO, just another case of bastardizing something pure and simple, the Kentucky Derby to now be associated with cheap and unhealthy fast food, I say YumYum!
What, they don't make enough money off of this event to keep a cheap product from defacing it? How much more money are we talking about? Pathetic. The same thing has been done to most every other sporting event so I guess it was only a matter of time here.

From the article,
said Thomas H. Meeker, president and chief executive officer of Churchill Downs Inc. "As an outstanding corporate citizen in our hometown, Yum! Brands understands the importance of the Derby's history and tradition to the residents of our city and region, as well as to racing fans around the world."

If Yum truly understood the importance of the Derby history and tradition it would keep it's money grubbing paws off. To me this is only a detrimant to the Derby not a bump, I don't care how much money they are getting from Yum.
I'll lead with an ad:
"While emptying your wallets on Derby Day make sure and load up on the empty calorie fare at the many Yum Brand restaurants in your area!"

Valuist
02-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I don't think its any big deal. Everything in sports in sponsored now. Of course, I'm a bit biased, being a YUM shareholder.

kenwoodallpromos
02-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Yum!'s logo will appear on signs... on top of the starting gate," ;)
Will the Burger King mascot be riding a Preakness horse? Is Long John Silver adding "Turf 'n Surf" to its menu?LOL!

Valuist
02-01-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm kind of surprised YUM didn't sponsor any of CD's races in the past, being based in Louisville. If they didn't sponsor the Derby, Papa Johns or one of the whiskey distillers would have. BTW, the 1/2 pound beef combo burrito kicks butt.

DrugSalvastore
02-01-2006, 03:39 PM
A deal is currently in the works between DrugS and Yum! Brands. They are very interested in sponsoring my posts on this message board. Who can blame them!?

toetoe
02-01-2006, 03:55 PM
I can just see it:

This is Yums plastered all over the Derby.
This is Yums on DrugS. :D

Wiley
02-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Valuist,
I think it is a big deal because the Derby to me is/was one of those last iconic sports events, there is no need for sponsorship, the sponsor is merely whoring off the event not the other way around. It ranked with the Indy 500, the World Series and the Super Bowl but not anymore. You notice in the poster for the Derby 'Yum' is huge, overshadowing all else. I assume Meeker was in charge of the gawdy CD renovations that overshadow one of the most traditional images of racing, the Twin Spires, as well at Churchill so this is par for the course, nice work! I guess I am just a traditionalist, idealist and I just hate when things change for the worse, like when they changed the name of the BC to whatever they call it now WCTS or something like that, I will always call it the Breeders Cup.

Valuist
02-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Actually I don't really like it but that's just the way it is. I remember watching the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl a couple years ago and the Tostitos logo stretched from the 40 yd line to the other 40 yd line. Apparently there is no end to it; the NCAA championship game wasn't just the Rose Bowl, it was the Rose Bowl sponsored by somebody. Next thing we'll see post parades sponsored by Buick, fractional times sponsored by Pepsi and the winner circle presentation sponsored by Evian. So the race itself sponsorship is likely just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm going to trademark the phrase "corporate whorism", just the NFL did w/the S---- B---.

toetoe
02-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Wiley,

I am so peeved, I have to try to keep it light. But know that I am right with you. :ThmbUp:

Valuist
02-14-2006, 05:29 PM
These twin spires will be absent from the Derby this year:

http://www.sportsline.com/horseracing/story/9234690